Free eye test question

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. I had my eyes tested at specsavers around Feb March, and they said my sight had changed considerably.

As I had recently been diagnosed as a diabetic, she stressed the importance of coming back in a year for another test.

However, my lenses are over £200 (varifocals) and I currently cant work due to ill health but also dont qualify for any benefits (long story) . I couldnt afford to buy glasses then if I was going to have to buy another pair in a years time (I've had zero income this year from anywhere, not a single penny)

As I've been on LCHF for months and my sugar levels are under control, and as I find myself straining my eyes, I want to have another test. IO have one booked for tomorrow but specsavers say since I've had one test this year and it's me that wants another one, I have to pay £25 for the test.

Is this correct? Seems I'm being penalised left right and centre at the moment

D

Deleted member 308541

I want to have another test. IO have one booked for tomorrow but specsavers say since I've had one test this year and it's me that wants another one, I have to pay £25 for the test.

We only get one free eye test every two years, people over sixty five get one every year.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. I had my eyes tested at specsavers around Feb March, and they said my sight had changed considerably.

As I had recently been diagnosed as a diabetic, she stressed the importance of coming back in a year for another test.

However, my lenses are over £200 (varifocals) and I currently cant work due to ill health but also dont qualify for any benefits (long story) . I couldnt afford to buy glasses then if I was going to have to buy another pair in a years time (I've had zero income this year from anywhere, not a single penny)

As I've been on LCHF for months and my sugar levels are under control, and as I find myself straining my eyes, I want to have another test. IO have one booked for tomorrow but specsavers say since I've had one test this year and it's me that wants another one, I have to pay £25 for the test.

Ojustaboo - My understanding is you should be OK, provided your prescription has changed.

I stress, that is my understanding. I have never had to stress test my belief.

Reactions: Ojustaboo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
My optician (at Scrivens) said that because I was fairly newly diagnosed with T2 that I would be OK to be tested again a year later (for free) and that if I needed a new prescription then I would be covered. As my T2 markers have improved I have not needed a retest or a new prescription. It might be worth shopping around for a test as I have seen special offers for free testing advertised on the high street.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I worked in an optician a few years ago. If there is a clinical need for an earlier test they can still do it free. You take the chance you may have to pay until that is established by the new prescription. In the circumstances it sounds a no brainier though . If the staff don’t seem to know this ask the manager to confirm a new prescription means the test is free.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If money is a problem then why not do without the convenience of varifocals and get seperate pairs for distance and reading. Specsavers do them for £25 I believe, your existing varifocals may even be ok for one of the pairs. I recently had an annual free NHS eyetest at Specsavers but for complicated reasons I wanted a second opinion, so I took up an offer of a free test by Vision Express a week later with no problem. The key is to get a free test not a free NHS test.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Specsavers appear to be offering some free eye tests, have a look here, you have to put your post code in, I put my post code in and my local branch didn’t appear so it’s restricted to certain branches only.
https://www.specsavers.co.uk/free-eye-test

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Quite a lot of high street opticians offer free eye tests. It is worth looking round.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. Found a free eye test voucher if I'm buying glasses, I just went to my specsavers and asked if I could still use it even though I don't have the money for my glasses until Monday.

They suggested rescheduling my appointment to then so I can get my free test..

In theory having different pairs of glasses is a good idea, but the reality is, just typing this I need two different ones, one for when I look down at the keyboard, another when I look back up at the screen.

As I suffer from numerous health and pain issues, it just makes my life more comfortable having all 3 lenses in one pair of glasses.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
In theory having different pairs of glasses is a good idea, but the reality is, just typing this I need two different ones, one for when I look down at the keyboard, another when I look back up at the screen.

I understand this entirely, as I am the same, which is why I also wear varifocals.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thanks all. Found a free eye test voucher if I'm buying glasses, I just went to my specsavers and asked if I could still use it even though I don't have the money for my glasses until Monday.

They suggested rescheduling my appointment to then so I can get my free test..

As I suffer from numerous health and pain issues, it just makes my life more comfortable having all 3 lenses in one pair of glasses.
Hi @Ojustaboo I have rubbish eye sight and have a lot of on screen work to do so I've got what they call intermediate glasses. These are just for working on the computer and I bought the cheapest frames available. Who's going to see me working at home?
I also have varifocals and know, like you, that having 2 pairs isn't a realistic option.
Hope all goes well

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you only get 1 free eye test unless the NHS calls you back in,then the second test will be free. Once you have had a eye tesy in any 12 months that will be on your medical files ,so they will know you have had a primary eye test

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes you only get 1 free eye test unless the NHS calls you back in,then the second test will be free. Once you have had a eye tesy in any 12 months that will be on your medical files ,so they will know you have had a primary eye test
You can only have one NHS test but you can have as many tests as you like if you are paying for it or the optician is paying.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Standard. But as some have said it is cheaper to get separate types of glasses and reading glasses can be picked up for a pound in well, pound shops ect and do just as well. Only you have to switch your windows now and then.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just got my new glasses from Asda opticians 2 pairs of varifocals and I paid £217 for them but that was because I had reactive lenses which was £40 extra on each pair without that they are really reasonably priced against other high street opticians I have been getting my glasses there for a few years now and have never had a problem with them.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought only pensioners got a free eye tests and that the only free one for diabetics was the retinal scan each year
In the UK diabetics are entitled to a free NHS eyesight test every 2 years. However, if your eyesight is changing the optician can recommend you have a free NHS test annually.

Ojustaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had my eyes tested.

Optician was great (Specsavers)

Bill came to £306, I said I simply couldn't afford it, and he gave me a 50% off voucher :) So my new tailor made Vari focals with reaction lenses, ultra clear etc only cost £153.

Very very happy