FreeStyle Libre 14 day - Overnight issue

devneck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody. I am new here and looking for some support if there are people that can explain something to me.

I am recently diagnosed Type 2 (about 5 weeks ago) so just getting started with this journey. After a couple weeks of doing blood tests, I asked my Dr. about switching to the FreeStyle Libre 14 day system and he approved it. I am actually the first case in his clinic to use this system so it's a learning as we go together and he hopes to be able to recommend the system to others as well in the future. So he has limited input for questions I have.

Yesterday was my first insertion of the sensor. I'm going to provide a timeline to try and help with my question. I called the support line twice today and both people were unable to really explain anything beyond the talking points they are provided.

As stated, I first inserted the sensor yesterday at about 2:40pm.
At 3:45pm, after the initial warm-up period, I performed my first scan on both the reader device and my phone (I will primarily be using my phone)
Between 3:45pm and 9:22pm I scanned 8 times, the last scan before bed was at 9:22pm.

First day, there seemed to be no real issues besides the numbers were kind of all over the place (I do not yet have test strips to compare against, the pharmacy should have them ready for me to pick up now but I have not gone yet). I have read in other places that people generally insert the sensor 12-24 hours before scanning the first time to initiate it ... I will do that on my next sensor.

This morning I woke up and my first scan was at 6:40am. So about 9 hours 18 minutes elapsed between scans.

The issue that I am confused about is that the scan this morning included data from 3am-6:40am.

My understanding of the how the system works was that each scan would provide up to the past 8 hours of data, if data was available. In other words, if you had inserted the sensor less than 8 hours ago, then you wouldn't have 8 hours of data but after that initial 8 hours passed then every scan would include a full 8 hours. I also understood it to mean that if you did not scan within the past 8 hours ... as I didn't ... then I would still get the past 8 hours but there would be a gap in data from the period of the previous scan up to 8 hours before the current scan. So I should have had 1 hour 18 minute gap in data, but it actually showed a gap of 5 hours 38 minutes.

When I called the support line it seemed like we kept talking past each other (last call was for an hour). They seemed to suggest that the 8 hour increments start when you first initialize the sensor (2:45pm for me) and then 8 hours later it would delete all the data and start collecting data again (10:45pm) for another 8 hours (6:45pm) at which point it would continue to repeat. If that were true, then should I have not received data from ~10:45pm-6am? Why did it start providing data again at 3am? I tried to point this out but I could not explain it in a way where they agreed.

Their solution was that I should just set an alarm to wake up every couple hours to scan.

Can anybody help me to understand what is going on. Is it possible I have a faulty sensor? (It has run fine all day since my first scan this morning as best as I can tell with 5 scans so far today) Is it possible that my tossing and turning throughout the night disrupted it?

Thanks again for any help. If I need to add additional information then please feel free to ask.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can anybody help me to understand what is going on. Is it possible I have a faulty sensor?

Possibly it is faulty (sometimes they can be - as can any tech)
I know on mine every so often it seems to lose the data for 30 mins to an hour and I've no idea why, but less than an hour I can generally guess what was going on anyways so I tend to ignore it. Losing 4+ hours does seem a bit excessive, I guess you could see what it does tonight to see if it repeats the same thing, I certainly wouldn't get up every few hours to check - it'd make work the next day a bit of a challenge if nothing else :) If it does do the same I'd probably see if Abbott could replace it for you.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd wait and see if it happens again. Mine did that last week and another time a year or so ago. Both times the sensors have settled again. Could be some update on your phone or such.

D

Deleted Account

@devneck my understanding and experience is as you describe your expectation.
Basically, the chip on the sensor has enough memory to store 8 hours of data. When the chip memory is full, it starts overwriting the oldest data ... like a round robin.
So you should always get the last 8 hours of data when you scan it.

Take care when interpreting overnight data as Libre suffers from “compression lows”: if you apply pressure on the sensor, for example by lying on it, the sensor will read low.

devneck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks everyone.

@helensaramay - I'm glad to here that it should be working the way I expected. I think it would have been poorly designed if it just deleted hours of data without having a replacement ... which is kind of the suggestion I was receiving from the support people.

I will see how the next couple days go and make sure that I test both waking up to scan and also make sure to not scan for more than 9 hours to see if the issue is replicated.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a libre reader for scanning? If so this keeps an "event log" that records any issues with error numbers, which can be useful to pass to their support staff. I don't use any alternative device so don't know if these have similar options for recording errors.

To confirm: the sensors do (or should!) hold the current 8 hours worth of data which gets overwritten on a "rolling" basis. So if you missed scanning every 8 hours you'd see an appropriate gap on you scanned logs where this has happened.

Also I've found that I've needed to let my sensors sit on my arm and acclimatize for a about 48 hours before I eventually activate them, as I've had issues with earlier activation (mainly with the compression lows that @helensaramay has mentioned) for the first couple of days if I've activated sooner. So maybe check earlier Libre threads too as some people find they're best allowing some sort of settling in period before their sensors will starts acting "sensibly"!!

Robbity

Parklane29

This has been a very useful thread as i have had problems with a break in my chart information from about midnight to 2:00am when i dont get up early.
64FF5BA7-F51D-4117-978D-52DBF927044C.png

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
This has been a very useful thread as i have had problems with a break in my chart information from about midnight to 2:00am when i dont get up early.View attachment 50215

That looks right.
You have more than 8 hours since your last scan so you will lose data.