Freestyle libre 2 problems

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had so many problems with my libre 2. So many in fact the NHS has finally agreed to move me to Dexcom one as it was causing me a lot of stress. Hopefully I’ll get one in the new year

I am pleased that you have succeeded in getting moved to Dexcom One. I have been working on this for some time. It does seem to be getting closer. They are currently working on getting Dexcom One added to the local formulary.

I look forward to hearing how things go with the change. Libre 2 is pretty bad

LuckyLady10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I've had been using freestyle libre for about 2 yrs, just got version 2 which has the alarm system for high and low blood glucose. My first sensor was fine, changed it on Monday as per the end of 14 days and since then (it is connected to my samsung phone) it continues to say the alarm is unable to work as some notification or permission has not been authorised. I have spent the past 2 days checking every notification and permission, changed the sensor last night for another (still saying it cant work) even been to a phone shop to buy a new phone but was assured the senor is compatible Samsung J6. MY partner who teachers tech at university level is pulling his hair out, he said the blue tooth wasn't connected but the more he looks into this the more frustrated he is becoming. I have spoken to Abbot who have offered a replacement sensor but the problem is still there, constant reminders on my phone telling me the alarm cant work as permission is not given. Anyone using libre 2 with success ?
Hi there I'm having exactly the same problems, and have a Samsung phone. Other sensors have been fine but for about 3wks now I've been getting messages that the alarm isn't working. I've checked settings etc and can't understand what's wrong.

Reactions: YogiBear76

Alan-58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can confirm and reiterate what people have said about Abbott Libre 2 - including ongoing App problems which Abbott refuse to acknowledge properly.
When I first used Libre 2 I added the app to my hone and everything worked well except I soon found that my 3 year old phone's (a Samsung A20) batterywouldnt last longer than 8 hours following app installation so I bought a new phone - a Samsung A13 which is still in production and widely on sale. The phone and app did everything required. Taking a reading on 21st October the app insisted on reconfiguring (ie it installed a new version) and that's when my problems started as it wouldn't scan my existing, 1 week old sensor.
I phoned Abbott who said it was a sensor problem (that seems to be a default answer, I found) so I tried another, new sensor with no change. They refused to listen to me when I said everything was OK until they upgraded the app and insisted it was faulty sensors and would send me replacements.
I made a second call hoping to get someone who would listen and actually talked with someone who agreed that it was an app issue and that they had many calls that day. He talked me through and the app worked until I needed to replace the sensor. They asked if I wanted a reader which I accepted and git that within a couple of days.
There's much more to report but currently my phone won't activate a new sensor which I need to do using the reader. Once done my phone is unable to Alarm as it wasn't the device that activated the sensor. The reader doesnt meet my needs (too loud and won't let me record the detail I want) and I refuse to carry both my phone and reader with it. Since then Abbot refuse to acknlowdge that my phone used to work perfectly well until they "upgraded" their app, and insist that it isn't compatible - even though it obviously once was.
Despite on customer service rep saying it is an app issue, there has been another upgrade but nothing has changed.
I feel that Abbott think I am an idiot when all I'm trying to do is revert to the older app version.

What I will add is the positive. Regardless of sensor application, app and alarm issues, the sensor and app give me a much better look at how my blood sugar is behaving and when to react and whether that's CHO or insulin. The A1c prediction is vastly improved on what I had in August, at 55/7.3% its better than the old 73/8.7%.

Last edited:

Alan-58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I'm having exactly the same problems, and have a Samsung phone. Other sensors have been fine but for about 3wks now I've been getting messages that the alarm isn't working. I've checked settings etc and can't understand what's wrong.
I had the same problem initially and found that I had to go into the phones general settings to change a permission there. Sorry I can't remember where and no doubt different phones are different(?) but once re set it worked fine.

Alan-58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PS I'm assuming that you activate new sensor with your phone and not another device as the warnings only work on the device that activates the sensor. I have a different issue, my phone won't activate the sensor but a reader will. I activate on the reader then a few minutes alter I scan the new sensor with my phone - everything works on the phone EXECEPT warnings

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For the Alarms problem I have to go to Bluetooth every few hours when the red warning appears and turn BT off and back on. The red warning clears after 5 minutes or so until the next time.

Alan-58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For the Alarms problem I have to go to Bluetooth every few hours when the red warning appears and turn BT off and back on. The red warning clears after 5 minutes or so until the next time.
My problem is that the phone doesn't alarm at all. Not since Abbott updated the Android app in October. Since then I can only activate a sensor with one if their Libre2 readers. They alarm but due to other issues - not least they only sinc with libreview by plugging a usb into a computer (no Web connrction in the reader) plus it has a fixed alarm volume which I find too loud expecially in public. Oh - it won't let me put the correct long acting dose in because I take mire than 50 units each day. My compromise is that I can activate the sensors with the reader androgen scan with my phone. I don't want to carry noth about so take my phone but need to accept that it won't alarm. All my comms with Abbott result in answers that dont answer the questions i ask and make me believe that they don't care and frequently give what I believe are patronising replies. Importantly my phone and app worked perfectly until their upgrade in October.

Grandadfatboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arrogant, abusive, greedy people
I too have being having issues with the Libre app. Well at first I thought it was the Libre app. It has worked pretty much flawlessly for me for just over a year now. I have my alarms set as follows. Low Alarm 5.0, High Alarm 15 and Signal Loss Off. The signal loss alarm was a complete pain. It would wake me 4 or 5 times a night, especially if I was laying on my side and on the sensor.

All worked extremely well, until Samsung updated my S20+ phone just over a month a go. The Libre app started playing up, (no low BG alarm) and constantly showing "Alarms Unavailable". The app that works with my smart watch started playing up, and still is, despite my following the instructions emailed to me to by the manufacturer to resolve the issue. There were settings that used to be available in the menu's that had "disappeared".

Samsung blamed them on the 3rd party apps being at fault, but couldn't answer the question why these apps had suddenly started "playing up" and were working absolutely fine until the latest update they sent for the phone. The phone was running UI4 & Android 12 prior to the update. The latest update has upgraded the phone to UI5 & Android 13.

My sensor is due for replacement tomorrow, and I intend to start the new sensor with an older Samsung S9 phone and see if I can get the alarms to work without any of the current issues I'm experiencing with the Samsung S20+.

The real issue was that I had 2 episodes last week where my BG dropped to around 3 during the night and no alarm to warn me. My saving grace is that I get up every 2-3 hours to go to the bathroom, and I've made it a habit to scan my sensor each time I wake up. So glad I do, because I really felt unwell on both the occasions I reported low BG. Finger pricks done to confirm the low BG were higher than the sensor readings, but enough to alert me that I needed to take action.

I'll you know if going to an older phone resolves the current issues I'm experiencing.

Alan-58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I too have being having issues with the Libre app. Well at first I thought it was the Libre app. It has worked pretty much flawlessly for me for just over a year now. I have my alarms set as follows. Low Alarm 5.0, High Alarm 15 and Signal Loss Off. The signal loss alarm was a complete pain. It would wake me 4 or 5 times a night, especially if I was laying on my side and on the sensor.

All worked extremely well, until Samsung updated my S20+ phone just over a month a go. The Libre app started playing up, (no low BG alarm) and constantly showing "Alarms Unavailable". The app that works with my smart watch started playing up, and still is, despite my following the instructions emailed to me to by the manufacturer to resolve the issue. There were settings that used to be available in the menu's that had "disappeared".

Samsung blamed them on the 3rd party apps being at fault, but couldn't answer the question why these apps had suddenly started "playing up" and were working absolutely fine until the latest update they sent for the phone. The phone was running UI4 & Android 12 prior to the update. The latest update has upgraded the phone to UI5 & Android 13.

My sensor is due for replacement tomorrow, and I intend to start the new sensor with an older Samsung S9 phone and see if I can get the alarms to work without any of the current issues I'm experiencing with the Samsung S20+.

The real issue was that I had 2 episodes last week where my BG dropped to around 3 during the night and no alarm to warn me. My saving grace is that I get up every 2-3 hours to go to the bathroom, and I've made it a habit to scan my sensor each time I wake up. So glad I do, because I really felt unwell on both the occasions I reported low BG. Finger pricks done to confirm the low BG were higher than the sensor readings, but enough to alert me that I needed to take action.

I'll you know if going to an older phone resolves the current issues I'm experiencing.
Abbott say that alarms only sound on the device that activates the sensor. I can confirm that as true. I still have annokser phone on the old app and android. That works fine butcwhy should I need to use an old phone?

victry77

I'm on Samsung and starting to have the exact same problems with the alarms not working after initially working perfectly well when I got my Libre 2 six months ago.

Strangely, it works through the night but through the day, I'm never alerted anymore.

IanG6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I've had been using freestyle libre for about 2 yrs, just got version 2 which has the alarm system for high and low blood glucose. My first sensor was fine, changed it on Monday as per the end of 14 days and since then (it is connected to my samsung phone) it continues to say the alarm is unable to work as some notification or permission has not been authorised. I have spent the past 2 days checking every notification and permission, changed the sensor last night for another (still saying it cant work) even been to a phone shop to buy a new phone but was assured the senor is compatible Samsung J6. MY partner who teachers tech at university level is pulling his hair out, he said the blue tooth wasn't connected but the more he looks into this the more frustrated he is becoming. I have spoken to Abbot who have offered a replacement sensor but the problem is still there, constant reminders on my phone telling me the alarm cant work as permission is not given. Anyone using libre 2 with success ?
Hi, I've just started using the Libre2 (6 weeks in), and whilst I do get alarms/notifications, there is a red exclamation mark next to the alarm icon. In settings I have disabled sounds - which when i switch everything on, the exclamation mark disappears. I'm on an iPhone.
So wondering if there is some setting re notifications that you haven't switched 'on'?? Sorry, I'm not an android user, so just guessing..

victry77

Hi, I've just started using the Libre2 (6 weeks in), and whilst I do get alarms/notifications, there is a red exclamation mark next to the alarm icon. In settings I have disabled sounds - which when i switch everything on, the exclamation mark disappears. I'm on an iPhone.
So wondering if there is some setting re notifications that you haven't switched 'on'?? Sorry, I'm not an android user, so just guessing..

Yeah, I have had the same since starting it 6 months ago. Nothing seems to get rid of it.

adamtype1123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You have to open samsung cloud on bluetooth and makesure all the alarms on your sensor are on try switching them off and on then change the alarm settings individualy to deafault settings makesure bluetooth is on ... this is on android phones not sure about i phones but am pretty sure its the same

Alan-58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I had this issue and it isn't the sensor. I found I had to go into the phone settings (in addition to the Abbot App) by accessing setttings/phone/apps/phone/appnotifications/ and making sure it was allowed. I needed to do exactly the same with librelink app so - into settings/Apps/Librelink/App notifications and set them to "allowed" too. Maybe you've tried that - f not give it a go. At least you can activate a sensor, my Samsung won't - I have to use a reader after which I can scan with both the reader and my phone, but only get alarms on the reader.

Alan-58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can confirm and reiterate what people have said about Abbott Libre 2 - including ongoing App problems which Abbott refuse to acknowledge properly.
When I first used Libre 2 I added the app to my hone and everything worked well except I soon found that my 3 year old phone's (a Samsung A20) batterywouldnt last longer than 8 hours following app installation so I bought a new phone - a Samsung A13 which is still in production and widely on sale. The phone and app did everything required. Taking a reading on 21st October the app insisted on reconfiguring (ie it installed a new version) and that's when my problems started as it wouldn't scan my existing, 1 week old sensor.
I phoned Abbott who said it was a sensor problem (that seems to be a default answer, I found) so I tried another, new sensor with no change. They refused to listen to me when I said everything was OK until they upgraded the app and insisted it was faulty sensors and would send me replacements.
I made a second call hoping to get someone who would listen and actually talked with someone who agreed that it was an app issue and that they had many calls that day. He talked me through and the app worked until I needed to replace the sensor. They asked if I wanted a reader which I accepted and git that within a couple of days.
There's much more to report but currently my phone won't activate a new sensor which I need to do using the reader. Once done my phone is unable to Alarm as it wasn't the device that activated the sensor. The reader doesnt meet my needs (too loud and won't let me record the detail I want) and I refuse to carry both my phone and reader with it. Since then Abbot refuse to acknlowdge that my phone used to work perfectly well until they "upgraded" their app, and insist that it isn't compatible - even though it obviously once was.
Despite on customer service rep saying it is an app issue, there has been another upgrade but nothing has changed.
I feel that Abbott think I am an idiot when all I'm trying to do is revert to the older app version.

What I will add is the positive. Regardless of sensor application, app and alarm issues, the sensor and app give me a much better look at how my blood sugar is behaving and when to react and whether that's CHO or insulin. The A1c prediction is vastly improved on what I had in August, at 55/7.3% its better than the old 73/8.7%.
I find it interesting that despite my assertion, which was backed by one of their own, that my issue is regarding their apps compatibility with Android 13, the persistent;y - almost abousivile - repeated that it was my phone that isn't compatible. !!! yay this week they admit that their App ISNT compatible with the latest android - or at least not all. I've asked them to re-look at my problem as I doubt I'm alone. In the meantime, still activating with the reader then scanning with my phone, but need the reader to monitor fr alarms - phone won't!! - a pain as a reset change of insulin means I don't get warnings of hypos!!

Reactions: tonydiabetes123