FreeStyle Libre 2 Sensor alarms

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m fortunate to have the FreeStyle Libre system. Working great to help me keep my glucose at better levels. I’ve just upgraded the app on my mobile It now has the option to set alarms. Though the app says these only work with FreeStyle Libre 2 Sensors. Any open know if these need to specifically requested when I next submit my repeat prescription or whether all Sensors are now type 2?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m fortunate to have the FreeStyle Libre system. Working great to help me keep my glucose at better levels. I’ve just upgraded the app on my mobile It now has the option to set alarms. Though the app says these only work with FreeStyle Libre 2 Sensors. Any open know if these need to specifically requested when I next submit my repeat prescription or whether all Sensors are now type 2?

Hi,

I would be glad to be proven wrong.
But, to the best of my knowledge the L2 has had no launch yet? (UK.) Apart from a member in Germany who I believe has used it..?
Sounds like a move forward if the update is L2 ready..

Edit to add this.. (Just found.) https://jdrf.org.uk/news/freestyle-...and-when-could-nhs-provision-begin-in-the-uk/

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I would be glad to be proven wrong.
But, to the best of my knowledge the L2 has had no launch yet? (UK.) Apart from a member in Germany who I believe has used it..?
Sounds like a move forward if the update is L2 ready..

Thanks for replying. That's disappointing if it's not in the UK yet. Hopefully it won't be too long?

Reactions: Ian zero

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for replying. That's disappointing if it's not in the UK yet. Hopefully it won't be too long?
Even when it does come to the UK, it may not be prescribed straight away, will depend on price, cos if its more expensive then I'd expect a hefty wait.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi again, we may have cross posted whilst I was editing in some JDRF news I found? (In my initial post.)

Lol, your topic has piqued my interest. I self fund. But the original news on L2 launch I read ages ago was basically a direct replacment of the L1 with no extra cost..?? (Possibly wishful thinking on the author of the article at the time..?)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The Libre2 is available in the US and it does cost more and needs a different reader or ap for it. It has a setting for one low alert and one high alert.

Dollydp

I am using it in Spain. I have no reference to the freestyle original as I havent used it. With the FS2 it uses a different reader I believe and I am using mine with my mobile phone - not without problems I add, I put new sensor on on Friday by Saturday it tells me that I cant use the alarms as sensor wasn't started with the device.. yet it was.

By starting the sensor with the phone it makes the reader useless so I cant even use the reader to get high and low alarms. I have 12 days left on this sensor with no option to use alarms or the reader..

Here in Spain, if you are allowed the upgraded version then the electronic prescription is altered by your doctor and then you'll receive the FS2 and all that's necessary to use it .. I cant speak for the UK. Sorry. I'm not sure if other people have had the problem I have now, but maybe the FS2 is not functioning as well as it should or I have had bad luck

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
The Consultant I ‘see’ (on the phone atm) says that Libre2 is coming to the UK. He didn’t give a timescale - maybe next year?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I know I was always told to start the sensor with the reader first and then scan with the phone if I want to use both.

There was a delay in the approval for the ap for the Libre2 here being released as it was waiting for the fda go ahead. I just got a notice for an update for the Libre ap for my phone but I haven’t done it yet. I’m not sure if it’s an update for the 14 day sensor or an update to the new Libre2.

I still am using the 14 day Libre with Miao Miao on my diabetic dog and use the Libre ap on my phone for her and I don’t want to mess that up.

Dan87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I currently have the libre in UK through NHS :)

Is this saying with the libre 2 it knows your level without you scanning your arm, so you'd get an alarm/warning you were out of range?

Reactions: WHM

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it reads it as long as you are within I think it’s 20 feet of the reader and sounds an alarm when you reach your too high or too low set number. But the reader doesn’t tell you what you are at still, you have to scan it.

captaindave

Wish i could get a Libre, been refused on grounds of cost.
( Been injecting since December 2019 - after being mis-diagnosed as T2 for over 3 years )

So, i made my feelings known a couple of weeks ago to them - i wasnt the most diplomatic, but its my health ...
Funny, i havnt heard from them since then, so **** em.

They did put me on a new insulin ( Toujeo ) recently, maybe i had done my time on the cheap stuff..

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They cannot just reject on grounds of cost. The reasons for both need and rejection have to be based on the clinical criteria. Have a look at the criteria and see if you fit into them.
Just to point out also. All insulin is dear, especially if you are unfortunate enough to be a diabetic in America. We are so lucky here.

captaindave

They said my case has to be appraised by 2 seperate consultants ( this would obviously be done by phone in current situation ) and then goes before a "panel" . I said ok, start that process off, thus far have heard nothing further..
To be honest, how i am feeling currently, i am done with them and will manage things myself for better or worse.

Yes i realise insulin is dear, however i do pay my fair wack into the system...