1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

FreeStyle Libre Glucose Monitoring

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by stevenson40, Mar 21, 2019.

1. stevenson40

stevenson40 Type 1 · Member

I was lucky to be allowed to use the FreeStyle Libre system a few months ago.
    At the beginning of February 2019 I had a major liver operation to remove a 2.3 kg tumor.
    The surgical team allowed me to use the FreeStyle Libre system during and after the operation.
    I could therefore keep a check on my glucose levels without the need of constant blood tests.
    This made it easier for the nurses and support staff and gave me better control of my insulin doseages in order to control my Type 1 diabetes, which I have had since June 1957.
    I would therefore like to thank Abbotts and the NHS for allowing me the use of such a wonderful system for controlling glucose levels.
    Before going into hospital my HbA1c was 58 and after two weeks following the operation was 44.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  2. Energize

Energize Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry you needed to have such surgery and hope you're making a good recovery

On the basis of what you have said, have you got a supportive team that you could ask if they could get the Libre prescribed for you? :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Sorry about the operation but what an awesome improvement in hba1c. I hope you can persuade your doctor to prescribe it for you. Though I've got to say I'm puzzled as to who it could change so much in just two weeks, given that it's an average over the last 3 months. (Or is that a predicted hba1c on the grounds of the blood tests from the libre?) Either way, congratulations on the improvement.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook