FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Jeanie B.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I felt I had to tell you my experience with the Libre, which I applied for in January and received in March. I was diagnosed T2 in 2002, and started on 2 a day insulin in 2010. Throughout the whole time since 2002 I have not been able to control my BG properly, having readings in the low 20s quite frequently. When they started doing HbA1c my levels were consistently around 95 to 100, at my last clinic visit in February it was 98 and the consultant wanted to increase the number of injections to 4 a day. I told him I was getting the Libre so he agreed to wait until my visit in July.

As soon as I started using the Libre I felt I was gaining better control, and I was swiping every hour or so to tell me which foods were affecting me most. Having the constant stream of information was great, and the fact that it showed what was happening during the night was really good too. The biggest benefit for me by far was that I swipe before I get in the car, and if it shows around 4 but going down I have a glass of juice and a biscuit to make sure my levels are high enough. I know the Libre is not an acceptable device for DVLA, but for me it is much more important that it tells me if levels are going down which a finger prick just does not do. I check the Libre against the Verio IQ and the Libre is always a little bit lower than the Verio, so I am confident that I am driving safely.

In July I went back to the clinic, to be told that my HbA1c had fallen to 53, so they have started reducing my insulin - result!!! So for me the cost is justified because not only do I not have to prick my fingers so much, but my health has dramatically improved and I have regained control of my life.

Reactions: 9 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt I had to tell you my experience with the Libre, which I applied for in January and received in March. I was diagnosed T2 in 2002, and started on 2 a day insulin in 2010. Throughout the whole time since 2002 I have not been able to control my BG properly, having readings in the low 20s quite frequently. When they started doing HbA1c my levels were consistently around 95 to 100, at my last clinic visit in February it was 98 and the consultant wanted to increase the number of injections to 4 a day. I told him I was getting the Libre so he agreed to wait until my visit in July.

As soon as I started using the Libre I felt I was gaining better control, and I was swiping every hour or so to tell me which foods were affecting me most. Having the constant stream of information was great, and the fact that it showed what was happening during the night was really good too. The biggest benefit for me by far was that I swipe before I get in the car, and if it shows around 4 but going down I have a glass of juice and a biscuit to make sure my levels are high enough. I know the Libre is not an acceptable device for DVLA, but for me it is much more important that it tells me if levels are going down which a finger prick just does not do. I check the Libre against the Verio IQ and the Libre is always a little bit lower than the Verio, so I am confident that I am driving safely.

In July I went back to the clinic, to be told that my HbA1c had fallen to 53, so they have started reducing my insulin - result!!! So for me the cost is justified because not only do I not have to prick my fingers so much, but my health has dramatically improved and I have regained control of my life.

That's an astonishing result Jeanie. Have you considered sharing it with Abbott too?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder. Is everyone being invited to join the PIP? I first ordered in May, and accepted the invitation this morning, so I'm hardly a true early adopter. I wonder if the proportion of issues and returns influences the selection criteria.

Whichever, it'll be interesting to see what transpires.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I wonder. Is everyone being invited to join the PIP? I first ordered in May, and accepted the invitation this morning, so I'm hardly a true early adopter. I wonder if the proportion of issues and returns influences the selection criteria.

Whichever, it'll be interesting to see what transpires.
When raised on the FB group, it seems that nearly everyone who adopted in October/November last year got an invite but those who were 2015 take-up are more distributed in their receipt of emails.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When raised on the FB group, it seems that nearly everyone who adopted in October/November last year got an invite but those who were 2015 take-up are more distributed in their receipt of emails.

Thanks for that. I'm (typically!) very curious what direction this will go.

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I've just received my invitation this morning. I registered in February this year and finally started using the CGM in June, so like AB, I'm not an early adopter either. Will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
**** I just found out that a ov-chipkaart (electronic card for public transport in NL) can disable a sensor. Have the sensor on my leg and put the card in my pocket on the same side...

Probably best to keep any nfc devices, except for your reader, away from the sensor.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Update: it just disables the sensor for 10 minutes, its working again.

Reactions: 2 people

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
I would like to participate as well and sent an email to Abbot. But as Always they do not reply to emails...:s

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have received an email from Abbott today inviting me to join the PIP, I'm defo not an early adopter of the Libre, I'm still waiting for my invite to purchase.................not sure to laugh or cry!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like they just emailed everyone on their mailing list tbh. Not great that they've emailed it to ppl not on the waiting list

bekhh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, I have not received such an e-mail, although I am an early adopter (first week november 2014). Perhaps the invitations are limited to UK residents?

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
**** I just found out that a ov-chipkaart (electronic card for public transport in NL) can disable a sensor. Have the sensor on my leg and put the card in my pocket on the same side...

Probably best to keep any nfc devices, except for your reader, away from the sensor.

Has it been cleared for use not on the arm now? or are you just a rebel @Hill28 ? ;-)

bekhh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Has it been cleared for use not on the arm now? or are you just a rebel @Hill28 ? ;-)

For the past two weeks I participated in a Dutch trial to investigate the accuracy of the Fsl. Therefore they placed a sensor on the back of my arm ( the recommended place) and one sensor on the belly. The participants were asked to scan at least for four times a day (before meals and bedtime) and after every scan also a bloodsample test with the fsl and a bloodsample test with a golden standard meter, the StatStrip Xpress. If I compare the glucose values between armsensor and bellysensor I would not recommend using an other place then the back of your upper arm because the differences were huge.

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
I didn't try it on my belly, but on my leg the Libre is doing fine.

@bekhh01 Will you try for some longer or just for 2 weeks? If you compare just 2 sensors, you could just have an inaccurate one..I'm wearing the sensors on my upper legs now for 4 months, with a Compeed plaster under it, and almost no problems regarding accuracy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Now here's something new. This is an app for Android that reads the Libre and plots it. Apparently it doesn't have the same predictive algo that is present in the reader.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.ct.glicemia

What's more interesting is that it continues to read the sensor beyond the 14 day cut off imposed by the Libre reader... I wonder for how long and what the life can be extended to?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now here's something new. This is an app for Android that reads the Libre and plots it. Apparently it doesn't have the same predictive algo that is present in the reader.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=it.ct.glicemia

What's more interesting is that it continues to read the sensor beyond the 14 day cut off imposed by the Libre reader... I wonder for how long and what the life can be extended to?

Are you an Android user Tim? As an Apple user, I can't give it a whirl.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have both @AndBreathe. I will give it a whirl and see what it comes out like...
I'll look forward to the feedback. Being able to stretch the sensors would be excellent. Fo me, just the raw data would be absolutely fine, as I'm just trend monitoring, in reality.