FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Has anyone used one whilst weight training? I use the gym 3-4 times per week and this obviously involves a lot of arm use. Is there any experience of sensor use with this?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly the same here Darren - it started to read 1.5mmol higher on Thursday. Mine's now a bit random though so be careful. Yesterday it was 3mmol higher than the built-in meter at one stage. Today it's almost spot on again. Mine expires on Wednesday so I'll persevere until then.

Smidge
Mine too. It started about 3.5 mmol low, then caught up, then this morning was 1.5 high. It's now gone back to being about 0.7 low.

What do we do about this? The trends, timing and patterns are brilliant, but I have no reliable numbers for exactly how high I went this week when some kidney beans and some hummus spiked me. And I do need to know those numbers, or I can't adjust what I eat.

Who is asking for replacement sensors? Do we think they will solve anything? Are some of the sensors really more accurate?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Lucy. Yeh, it's disappointing. I'm hoping it's a bad batch of sensors. Trouble is though that it might just be that our IF just reacts differently from each other. We have no way of knowing. I've spoken to Abbotts many times this week and they insist it should definitely be more accurate. Problem I've had is that I had no Optimum test strips, so had to wait for those until Thursday to be sure it wasn't he Accuchek Mobile at fault. It's not. It is reading pretty much the same as the Libre blood test.

Abbott are sending a new sensor. They were really concerned when I rang them with the blood meter reading 2.9 and the scanner reading 4.6! They told me to remove the sensor immediately and use the other sensor - I haven't. They rang me a couple of times to check I'm OK. It felt like they were starting to panic.

Robert has had good results with his since the beginning, Emmotha's settled down eventually. It all seems a pretty mixed bag really, so I don't know what to think. I'm using the trend data with great results, but not relying on it for point in time tests. I'm going to change my sensor Tuesday evening - nearly a day early, but it will get me onto an out - of - work - time changeover, so I'll let you know how the 2nd sensor goes.

Certainly worth ringing and discussing with Abbotts though.

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

jay.ipswich

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tim, I was weight training whilst using my previous CGM and had nothing but problems. I was siting them in my bum or stomach generally, and if I trained my legs or abs was getting a horrible stabbing feeling, I guess as the muscle moves and touches the sensor probe. I'm thinking that if you miss the triceps you should be ok. Always amazed me watching your BG go flying up aswell as soon as you start weight training.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Tim, I was weight training whilst using my previous CGM and had nothing but problems. I was siting them in my bum or stomach generally, and if I trained my legs or abs was getting a horrible stabbing feeling, I guess as the muscle moves and touches the sensor probe. I'm thinking that if you miss the triceps you should be ok. Always amazed me watching your BG go flying up aswell as soon as you start weight training.
Yeah, I'm kind of expecting that. The glycogen conversion that the muscles require is pretty extreme.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Day 11 today. My arm is feeling sore and the stickiness has been wearing off since about day 7.

I'm generally with the performance though it now seems pretty accurate and I'm happy to trust the readings so am finger testing a lot less :)

Reactions: 4 people

nikkid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Day 11 today. My arm is feeling sore and the stickiness has been wearing off since about day 7.

I'm generally with the performance though it now seems pretty accurate and I'm happy to trust the readings so am finger testing a lot less :)

I have similar experiences re stickiness. I purchased a tegaderm type clear dressing to pop over the top of the sensor and it has worked a trick so far. Currently have 3 more days with this sensor, fingers crossed it lasts the distance!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg

Mine just gave me a reminder :)

Reactions: 5 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine it still sticking well and reading well. Occasional drop out during the night and reads about 1 mmol/l higher after a shower.

3 days left - I hope the next one will be as good.

libre.jpg

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone used one whilst weight training? I use the gym 3-4 times per week and this obviously involves a lot of arm use. Is there any experience of sensor use with this?

Used it in the gym yesterday for both weights and cardio. Didn't feel it at all, but I do have opsite covering it because I was wearing of excessive sweat etc loosening the adhesive more than it already was

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Finally just got round to putting my first sensor on (I've had it since 23rd but couldn't put it on until after X-ray on 28th, then having to share my bed with hubby and 8yr old son until this morning and worried I'd get it knocked out by son). Am sitting nervously counting down the 60 minutes hyper aware of the sensor stuck to my arm :)

Had a mini panic when I took the sensor out of the box attached to the applicator and saw the size of the needle. I am very skinny and envisioned it sticking in my muscle or bone or some other such stupid idea lol. I was v v surprised that I didn't feel it at all yay

wetpainter

I was expecting the price for the kit but not the individual patches.

Tbh though i would prob save up to pay privately to have that detail of reading for 2 weeks just to help me know exactly what's going on when with my glucose. I prob won't use it all the time but deffo intrigued to see a couple of weeks data
Rather surprised as site shows individual price total to be £115.90 which is less than kit price. Why?

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know if there's any restrictions on flying with the libre?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had the 3 day warning as well today. Mine's still sticking pretty well but that might be because I've been quite lazy for the last week LOL. I've ordered some opsite, so at least I'm ready for the next sensor. I've decided to change my sensor on Tuesday evening as I don't want to be sorting it out at work on Wednesday afternoon. I'm a little apprehensive about taking this one off and I'm really not looking forward to putting the new one on. I hate the thought of that needle! I did feel this one go on and it bled a little I think. Is anyone else feeling apprehensive? I expect I'm just being a wimp!

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Any news on whether they are being considered for prescriptions?