1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Emmotha, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Sideburnt

Sideburnt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nice. Does it effect the touchscreen at all? I'm finding the up/down arrows more than a little fiddley to find the 'sweet spot' especially when inputting carbs. It's a shame you can't change the increments to 5g or even more obviously, make the buttons bigger. I'm a User Experience, User Interface designer and it's things like this that drive me up the wall. Maybe they'll roll out a software update, I can see that happening.

• Like Like x 2
  2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I want to see this as an app on a non-apple smartphone where you can use the inbuilt NFC to do the same thing as the reader. It can't be that difficult to get the data off the sensor and build an app around it....

• Like Like x 4
  3. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

[Qhaven't ="Sideburnt, post: 668838, member: 74515"]Nice. Does it effect the touchscreen at all? I'm finding the up/down arrows more than a little fiddley to find the 'sweet spot' especially when inputting carbs. It's a shame you can't change the increments to 5g or even more obviously, make the buttons bigger. I'm a User Experience, User Interface designer and it's things like this that drive me up the wall. Maybe they'll roll out a software update, I can see that happening.[/QUOTE

I haven't got the Libre yet but I've just put part of a cut off piece of Zagg protector over a Freestyle Insulinx bg meter screen which is more or less like the Libre and is also touchscreen with the button at the bottom right. The Zagg hasnt affected the touchscreen on the Insulinx so presume the Libre should be the same.

Look on youtube on how to apply Zagg protectors

4. igmr

igmr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It is a disposable system, designed and priced to recover development costs and to make a profit. Hence the less than premium components and build. I can live with its deficiencies at the price.

Long term, the sensors are over priced with the silly short 8 hour sensor data limit down to cost cutting (too little memory). That'll hurt their sales as, certainly from my perspective, I'll get everything I need from it in one month. After that it will be nice to have but finger pricking with free NHS sticks will do just fine.

1 sensor every 3 or 6 months will more than do me although it is a lovely 'security blanket'. Very interesting to see what individual foods do to me. not what I expected in some cases. Quinoa rocks!

5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

That's where I am - I want to glean the trend data and use it to better manage what I think I know, but beyond having gained that I'm not sure I'd be willing to fork out for the sensors as a regular thing. Once I know in detail how things work, why would I bother.

6. igmr

My phone won't read do a BG otherwise I'd think about it. Easy enough to import the data to a spreadsheet though..

7. Sideburnt

NFC has come a long way since the buggy Android 2.3 offering, it's been very surprising to see how much of a mess Apple has made of the technolgy on thier devices.

I would very much like to see this implemented but I'd be concerned about being caught short when my phone battery dies. Regardless, it would save the cost of a new reciever (£50). Glooko made large advances with signing up glucometer distributors to integrate thier support, alowing you to pick up readings via a cable. A company such as this would be advised to approach Abbott IMO.

8. igmr

I wouldn't be surprised if Abbot have encrypted the sensor data with the scanner being required to access and decrypt it. Linked to the way you register sensor and scanner.together.

I'm more than happy with the raw data they provide and I have to carry the scanner to do BG tests anyway.

9. Emmotha

Emmotha Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Press and hold :)

10. Sideburnt

I'm an idiot.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sideburnt

They use a semi locked ISO 15693 NFC Vicinity format, but you can still pick up the HEX data with an app such as NFC TagInfo from the Android Play store. I wouldn't like to be the one to crunch that into something readable though.

12. jackois

jackois Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use this.... leftover from an old phone. I knew it would come in handy if I kept it long enough!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BLA...0&sr=8-4&keywords=blackberry+curve+8520+cover

13. Minnie45

Minnie45 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Let us know how you get on please - I'm just wondering if there's any issues with the sensor/kit and planes?

14. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Will do - I'm more concerned about setting off alarms going through security ;)
    Might give Abbott a call to see if they have any intel.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Minnie45

Minnie45 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You can be the guinea pig ;)

• Like Like x 3
  16. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

I hadn't even thought about setting off alarms, I was just wondering if the sensor would be affected by going through the airport scanners - they warn you not to have x-rays with the sensor attached, so I wondered whether it would be the same. I guess we might have to tell the airport staff we're wearing it and go into the manual checking queue. It'll be interesting to known what Abbotts say. I guess people with CGM or pumps probably deal with this already.

Smidge

17. robert72

I don't think we get x-rayed (our luggage does) but we have to go through the metal detector. I have a knack of setting those off and am quite familiar with the pat-down and shoes-off routine.

18. redrevis

redrevis · Well-Known Member

The manual says:
    IMG_1239 (Large).JPG
    I'd have guessed if any airport security systems posed a risk they'd be mentioned here. But just letting them know and getting a pad down sounds like the most sensible option.

• Like Like x 2
  19. robert72

Ah, thanks for that - I should really read the manual one day ;)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Danaemac

Danaemac Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Pumps can't go through the new body scanners so this doesn't. Pose any additional problems for pumpers

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook