FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I walked through metal detectors at airports with my dexcom sensor multiple times with no problems. Didn't even set off the alarm :)

Metal detectors should be fine. Full body scanners like they have in US -i don't know, they are a problem to pumpers, I wouldn't take my dexcom through them

Reactions: 6 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The bad news is that my sensor met with a disaster at 11am today - I caught my arm against a door frame and it pulled straight out! The good news is I don't have to worry about removing it this evening! I had already planned to change it this evening, so not as bad as it could have been! Of course, I have lost all the data since I last scanned - about 3 hours of data and by the time this one is ready to scan I will have also been without the sensor for about 3 hours. So overall, I've messed up my graphs with a 6 hour(ish) gap. I'm not sure what it says in the manual, but I think you will all need to do a final scan before removing the old sensor if you don't want to lose data. Once the sensor is off, it will not scan - I tried!

It came off easily and left almost no mark - no bruising, just a little raised area with a hole in the middle and some sticky residue around the outside. I've cleaned it up with an antiseptic wipe and it hardly looks like anything has been there. My very understanding boss has let me come and work from home for the rest of the day so I could apply the new one - so yet again I've applied it in the middle of a working day - brilliant! I'm on the 60minute countdown now. This one didn't hurt at all going on and I can't feel it now, so it seems I was just unlucky with the last one. The last one had some dried blood on the underneath, so I must have just hit a blood vessel or something.

The reader was a little surprised to find a new sensor, but it just asked if I was sure as I would no longer be able to use the old one and when I confirmed it activated this one.

Fingers crossed!

Smidge

Reactions: 2 people

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's bad news, Smidge. Was it on it's last day?

Mine has been increasingly erratic over the last few days, giving sensor errors on and off since Saturday. I spoke to Abbotts who are sending a replacement, but suggested either tubi-grip or tape to make sure it is firmly in place as there was a possibility of it moving. This even though it has shown no signs of lifting. After putting tubi grip over it, it worked well over night but had sensor error for around 4 hours this morning and has just started registering again.

The big question is... do I persevere with this sensor through it's last 2 days or remove it, fit my second one & keep this one to return to Abbotts?

Overall, I've found it excellent & had a really good first week, trusting it enough to reduce my long acting (lantus) on the strength of the overnight readings it gave. This has led to me sleeping better (no low readings since I did it).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Smidge, I was wondering about your comments relating to taking the day working at home to put the sensor on. Why don't you just apply it at work?

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Can I ask please, what is the difference between this and the Dexcom G4 other than the capability to scan it with the device? Is there any difference? I believe with the Dexcom you still need to finger prick test but this one seems that you don't need to (according to their website anyway)?

Thanks!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's bad news, Smidge. Was it on it's last day?

Yes, luckily it was due to expire tomorrow afternoon and I'd already decided to change it this evening so that I didn't have to mess about with it at work. I just need to learn to be more careful! I was surprised at how easily it came off - and there is nothing you can do to pu it back in when that happens.

I'd had some isues with it's accuracy and Abbott are sending a replacement - they actually told me to remove this one a couple of days ago because I had a 2.9mmol hypo on the meter while the sensor was scanning in the 5s with a horizontal arrow. I decided to carry on with it as it was still giving me useful trend data most of the time - obviously until it met with its accident earlier today!

TBH, if your one is starting to give inaccurate data and there's a suspicion that it might not be seated correctly, you'd probably be better replacing it - especially if they're replacing it for you - you lose a couple of days, but gain a couple of weeks!

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Smidge, I was wondering about your comments relating to taking the day working at home to put the sensor on. Why don't you just apply it at work?

I didn't have one with me! I think when I next plan to change it (as opposed to just being clumsy) I will take it to work with me. My first one wasn't very comfortable to apply and I was unsure how I would get on taking it off, so thought I'd do it this evening instead of at work tomorrow, but now I know it's pain free, I'll probably change the next one at work.

Smidge

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Can I ask please, what is the difference between this and the Dexcom G4 other than the capability to scan it with the device? Is there any difference? I believe with the Dexcom you still need to finger prick test but this one seems that you don't need to (according to their website anyway)?

Thanks!
Cost is one thing - the start up costs of the Dexcom are about 10x that of the Libre - on going (sensor) costs are closer tho.
You need to calibrate the Dexcom with your blood sugar readings daily hence the need for finger pricks. Libre uses a different technology which allows for factory calibration. Theoretically you don't need to finger prick with the Libre but in reality you will finger prick to check how the sensor readings compare with finger prick readings - you will do this less once you satisfy yourself you can safely use the readings from the Libre either as they are or by adjusting the reading up or down. Abbott also advise you to fingerprick if your sugars are low or changing fast.

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The bad news is that my sensor met with a disaster at 11am today - I caught my arm against a door frame and it pulled straight out! The good news is I don't have to worry about removing it this evening! I had already planned to change it this evening, so not as bad as it could have been! Of course, I have lost all the data since I last scanned - about 3 hours of data and by the time this one is ready to scan I will have also been without the sensor for about 3 hours. So overall, I've messed up my graphs with a 6 hour(ish) gap. I'm not sure what it says in the manual, but I think you will all need to do a final scan before removing the old sensor if you don't want to lose data. Once the sensor is off, it will not scan - I tried!

It came off easily and left almost no mark - no bruising, just a little raised area with a hole in the middle and some sticky residue around the outside. I've cleaned it up with an antiseptic wipe and it hardly looks like anything has been there. My very understanding boss has let me come and work from home for the rest of the day so I could apply the new one - so yet again I've applied it in the middle of a working day - brilliant! I'm on the 60minute countdown now. This one didn't hurt at all going on and I can't feel it now, so it seems I was just unlucky with the last one. The last one had some dried blood on the underneath, so I must have just hit a blood vessel or something.

The reader was a little surprised to find a new sensor, but it just asked if I was sure as I would no longer be able to use the old one and when I confirmed it activated this one.

Fingers crossed!

Smidge

So far have caught mine when taking my t-shirt off and also done the same as you catching it on a door frame. Mine has come partially unstuck but is hanging in there. Change over is tomorrow night.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
For those who have been scanning for a week or more - how's your estimated A1c looking - mines looking great :)

8lsoYQ4.png

.... and about as accurate as a Tarot card reading :rolleyes:

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am delighted with the libre. I've got 5 days to go and will be sad to have to go back to finger pricking. I'm saving my second sensor for Christmas!

I actually have done very few finger pricks in the last 3 days. Those that I've done are more or less in accordance with my old One Touch meter but about 20-30mg/dl lower than my current BGstar meter. ( I thought it read high so I'm pleased that it's the meter and not my glucose that has risen recently; my last HbA1c was actually about 0.4% less than the BGstar suggested it would be)
I'm thinking of asking my prescription to be changed so I can use the libre as an ordinary meter in between sensors.
I haven't needed to test to confirm hyps, which for me very rarely happen outside of exercise. if the reading is in the low 80s and arrow is heading downwards, I'm already beginning to 'feel' hypo in any case.
I've learned that my levels do fall in the very early hours and then rise a bit overnight.
I have a big spike after breakfast if I sit down at the computer. I'm working on ways to stop this.
So far:
1) don't keep sitting: take a walk or do some physical work. It turns the spike in it's tracks
2) inject for breakfast a bit earlier. This seems to make the height of the rise a bit less but it lasts for longer
3) slightly more insulin: reduced the spike but then I was getting low before lunch.
My glucose pattern report for the last 7 days.
libre 2.JPG

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For those who have been scanning for a week or more - how's your estimated A1c looking - mines looking great :)

8lsoYQ4.png

When you test with a meter, are your levels really that low all the time?

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When you test with a meter, are your levels really that low all the time?
No - the sensor was about 2.2 mmol lower initially and has settled to about 1.0 mmol lower than BG readings.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't tested at all today!! Very happy to trust my libre now :D

Will be sad to finger test again as the next sensor settles back in

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

8lsoYQ4.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-04 at 16.15.52.png

I'm seeing my Endo on 20th so will see how accurate the HbA1c estimate is

Reactions: 4 people

iHs

Do any of you do a lot of driving at all? If so, do you scan the sensor as you drive and try to read the results on the handset to keep an eye on the
trend data going downwards or maybe get a passenger to read the results.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do any of you do a lot of driving at all? If so, do you scan the sensor as you drive and try to read the results on the handset to keep an eye on the
trend data going downwards or maybe get a passenger to read the results.

Hi iHs. I don't touch the scanner while driving - I don't really see how you would argue it is any safer than messing about with a mobile phone if you caused an accident or got pulled over. Anyway, DVLA doesn't accept it as testing and the rules for those of us on insulin are to test no more than two hours before starting a journey and every two hours while on the journey. It's very clear that you have to pull over and test, so i hope no-one is relying on the Libre for driving and especially using it while driving.

Smidge

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@robert72 - your BG profile is amazing! I hope you get that 5.3% on your HbA1c! I'm so jealous of that flat line LOL

Smidge

jodysd6

My a1c is due to be tested for an appointment on the 2nd of January and I'm hoping to be able to wear mine continuously until then at least so I will be looking forward to seeing how close it matches up as I will have been using for at least 2 of the 3 months prior to the test!