FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I do, but I use them sparingly (like I've used 2 in a month )...

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yah I've had them on prescription once but they're not on my repeat. I've bought on eBay before, but I'm pretty sure they're just ppl who get them on prescription then resell :(

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use ketostix as first line - only use strips if ketostix are high, or if I feel as if ketones might be high (dry throat, mild nausea)

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
So I wonder if it's to do with where on your arm the sensor is positioned.
View attachment 8231

That might be the case robert72, thanks for your reply. So if it's on the back of your arm do you never lie on it? I imagine it would be the same for me. It's probably worth a try though for me - just need to wait 11 days until I put a new sensor on:)

From the limited data it looks as though the higher your BG reading the greater the difference between it and a scan reading - however your are getting invaluable trend data even if the higher readings are not accurate.
Over the next few days you may see a pattern and be able to work out a correction factor to use for the higher readings without having to double check the reading with a finger prick.

True logindetails, thanks. And to be fair I got it primarily for the trend data - but then again if it was really accurate at the same time all the time it would be even better;).

Well, I'll see how it behaves the next few days:)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That might be the case robert72, thanks for your reply. So if it's on the back of your arm do you never lie on it? I imagine it would be the same for me. It's probably worth a try though for me - just need to wait 11 days until I put a new sensor on:)
If I lie on my back, there is not much weight on the sensor (when it's on the back of my arm) as most of my weight is supported by my back - compared to when I lie on my side and the sensor is there, then a lot of my upper body weight is on the sensor. (Hope that makes sense).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've found that my Libre correlates well with the finger prick tests in general, however in the scenario where the bs is dropping fast or climbing fast, it isn't as close. I've not seen any of the issues with overnight sensor failure/incorrect readings.

Is it possible that some of the odd readings that people have seen overnight are actually real, if overnight testing hasn't been done?

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For anyone who is interested..... Just put my new sensor on. I put it on my right arm in approx the same position as the first was on the left arm. First one didn't hurt at all going in. This one was rather painful. Still aches s bit an hour later.

Also, OMG how hard to get the first one off!!!!! Think mine had superglue on it. No need for extra tape here. Whoever it was that knocked theirs off on the doorframe (think it was @smidge) must have really whacked it :)

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I use ketostix as first line - only use strips if ketostix are high, or if I feel as if ketones might be high (dry throat, mild nausea)
I'm thinking of getting a Ketonix. Another lovely gadget and no running cost. If ketones are what I need, I want to know I have them. Then I can train a child to carry all my appliances in a case behind me ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm thinking of getting a Ketonix. Another lovely gadget and no running cost. If ketones are what I need, I want to know I have them. Then I can train a child to carry them all in a case behind me ...
I thought they ran off USB, or would you get the battery-powered one? You could wear it around your neck like a whistle ;)

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Is it possible that some of the odd readings that people have seen overnight are actually real, if overnight testing hasn't been done?

Potentially, but I have actually double checked every time. And last night when I scanned and it told me 20 something and my meter said I was 13 something I was quite glad I did as otherwise it could have ended quite badly I guess;). It's true that the libre "can't keep up" if bs is changing fast in either direction.

(Hope that makes sense).

It makes perfect sense and maybe that's actually my problem that if I lie on my side there is a lot of weight on it so maybe that's why the scans are a bit dodgy overnight. I will try the next sensor somewhere better:)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought they ran off USB, or would you get the battery-powered one? You could wear it around your neck like a whistle ;)
I could, but I wouldn't be dead keen on the style statement .. I th you can just plug in a USB mini-charger. I have one of those anyway for my phone. I th the battery it comes with is the same thing. It does look a bit weird, but think of the fun ..

Reactions: 3 people

chatterton

Hi there,Im recently on the freestyle navigator C.G.M on trial from OCDEM(Churchill hospital)just wondering how far out your results are as my is 1.4mmol when I check on my NEO meter

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi there,Im recently on the freestyle navigator C.G.M on trial from OCDEM(Churchill hospital)just wondering how far out your results are as my is 1.4mmol when I check on my NEO meter
Depends on person and sensor. Mines been mostly quote good, usually less than 1mmol/l, but the room for error on bgms is 15% in a normal range so you can't be sure which system is closest to the truth at a point in time...

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Potentially, but I have actually double checked every time. And last night when I scanned and it told me 20 something and my meter said I was 13 something I was quite glad I did as otherwise it could have ended quite badly I guess;). It's true that the libre "can't keep up" if bs is changing fast in either direction
@kitty55 - I think most of my poor accuracy with the Libre is when I am either very high i.e. in double figures - a 10 on my Mobile will read as 14 or higher on the Libre or very low i.e. a 2.9 on the Mobile will read as 5 something on the Libre. The worrying thing is that the Libre always reports my BG as stable at these times i.e. horizontal arrow. If it reported my BG as moving fast in one direction or the other I would accept that I need to test, but stable and way out is unacceptable and dangerous.

As for positioning, I think my first sensor was a bit further forward than this one on the left arm. It did get in the way of sleeping, but that didn't seem to affect it. This one is further back on the right arm. I've slept on it loads without any issues. So I'm not sure what's causing the overnight issues for you and Robert. I think where mine is currently positioned is the optimum position though. This time I looked at the instructions properly. When putting the sensor on, you should put your hand on the opposite shoulder and position the sensor towards the back of the arm.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
e7fa66aeeff90deeb920e9be00084691.jpg

Libre in Freestyle Insulinx case.

While the case is useful for strips and pricker, it's annoying in that I use the libre far more frequently than that.

Roll on the smartphone app...

Last edited by a moderator:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The meter itself goes off if I try to use a test strip then after about three attempts works
Hi, I lost a lot of strips too (a lot of effing and blinding: they're expensive and I don't have that many) when it did this. As you've probably discovered, you have to put the test strip in with the Libre turned off. Putting the test strip in turns it on to the right screen.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I lost a lot of strips too (a lot of effing and blinding: they're expensive and I don't have that many) when it did this. As you've probably discovered, you have to put the test strip in with the Libre turned off. Putting the test strip in turns it on to the right screen.
Can't say that I've seen that it works this way. I've used it on the sensor, then, with the device turned on, put a strip in and it's automatically flipped to asking for blood.

Has worked fine for me.

Reactions: 2 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine doesn't do this either. Sounds faulty. Did u call abbott?