Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well, this is why I bought a libre. I've gone from this

b2c07c13eba4b488e887e560c552ea0f.jpg

To this:

5de528ef7940db8965ca4a506790d0cc.jpg

Well worth the investment in my book.

And while I've showed lower overnight, I've been hovering around the 3.8 to 4.1 level on fingerpricks so I think the data is reasonable.

Reactions: 13 people

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

To this:

And while I've showed lower overnight, I've been hovering around the 3.8 to 4.1 level on fingerpricks so I think the data is reasonable.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

To this:

Congratulations. That's brilliant. I started out the same. Still have bizarre spikes for some reason but nowhere near as bad as before

Reactions: 4 people

JaneC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is very impressive, mine is similar to your first and still have more peaks than I'd like. What's your secret to the nice smooth line during the day? Mine in like that mostly at night, I take it you eat during the day?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Lower carb intake, more low gi carbs and change in insulin timing. Moved my Novorapid to around half an hour before I eat carbs and it has totally changed the spikiness.

Reactions: 2 people

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The timing of the injections has been the big revelation for me. I've now found I can quite happily have toast for breakfast if I inject about 20 mins b4 (and lashings of butter) :D

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Lower carb intake, more low gi carbs and change in insulin timing. Moved my Novorapid to around half an hour before I eat carbs and it has totally changed the spikiness.
The Libre has really brought the advice I get given by my diabetes care team into question, that is to inject 15 minutes before eating.
The Libre has shown me how slow NovoRapid is to start working.
The Libre has shown me to inject an hour before some meals.
The Libre has shown me to inject an hour after eating other meals.
The Libre has shown me to split my boluses (before and after) for yet other meals.
All hail the Libre :woot: ...........when it works :confused:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I did a test where I had a few hours nice and flat them injected 2 u of Novorapid. It took 45 mins to kick in.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been totally shocked how slow Apidra is to get started. I need to take it at least 45 minutes to an hour before a breakfast of raspberries and yoghurt (7g carb). I have actually had a long discussion with Aventis Sanoffi about this. They are very interested and have asked me to send them some Libre readings. I was 'secretly' hitting 15 on a regular basis after breakfast. I'd been worried about the 9ish spikes showed by my BG meter after breakfast, but the evidence of the extent and duration of the spikes really hit me hard. It's a bit depressing, but also empowering as you can do something about it.

The other really enlightening thing for me has been the evidence that my BG is rising overnight resulting in high fasting levels - my diabetes team had been trying to convince me my BG was falling low overnight and the high fasting levels was the rebound. They wanted me to reduce my evening Levemir. Wrong! Totally wrong!

Another thing - chocolate hits my BG within a few minutes - the fat content does not slow it down. Tiny amounts of sugar raises my BG rapidly. I do not need more than about 6g carb to kick a hypo into touch. The list of what I've learned goes on and on.

Smidge

Reactions: 8 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My sensor data capture figures are down suddenly too (in the Snapshot screen). They've gone down since the new sensor to 92%. I'm wondering if this explains the wild off-the-maps lows that sensor # 3 gives me at night, unlike ## 1 and 2.

I'll stop chuntering and call Abbott. I work with words, not data, so I may be making a Really Stupid Mistake.

Hi Lucy, when you put on a new sensor, you have at leapt an hour gap in the data. I think that's why the percentage captured reduces for a while.

Smidge

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Agree on the sugar impact on lows, however, I've found dextrosols to be a lot slower to work than sugar. They are still quick, but not as quick as the pure stuff.

I've also learned that rapid insulin hypos turn around more quickly than long acting insulin hypos, which was a bit of a shock as I expected both to revert to mean at the same pace.

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also found I have to take Novorapid 30 mins before breakfast. Before I was spiking then going hypo after as I had increased the dose to try and reduce the spike.

Also found, little spike from wine but big spike from beer.

Little spike from dark chocolate yet one chocolate from the xmas box of Roses at work and I am through the roof.

I used to test my bg before meals and 2 hours after and thought the control was good. Yet with the Libre I see it wasn't. This week I have nearly had every day stay between the 8 and 4 target. How can I give this up?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the other thing that I've learned is that I'd have a much better understanding of my diabetes if I could have had a cgm 10 years ago.

Should CGM be offered on the NHS for those who care enough to enquire?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.

To this:

Tim2000s

Please be careful when you say you are hovering between 3.8 to 4.1 even if it is overnight... My consultant is very concerned with any low readings overnight, and asks her patients how often we get them i.e once a week, once a month etc.

I have just had a copy of a letter that my consultant sent to my gp... And it does give exact details of what I told her about night and day hypo's and levels.

My consultant was really concerned when my Abbott cgm showed lows overnight... Believing the cgm results, not me....and my cgm was duff at night time and during the day time too which was why it was handed back and the hospital did stop giving Abbott navigators to patients.

Just be very careful with showing data of levels around 4's or below to consultants or gp's.. Honest they will not like to see your bloods running that low....especially if a quick up to 5.0 levels isn't shown as they will they question whether you are hypo aware....

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
May be time to generate "consultant reports" from the excel file then.

I think it may be that there needs to be a longer term study looking at diet and impact on physiology.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
May be time to generate "consultant reports" from the excel file then.

I think it may be that there needs to be a longer term study looking at diet and impact on physiology.

Just a warning.. Your consultant may not give a ****, but mine definitely does!!

Long term studies.. The longest research study I am
Involved in is 10 years at QE2 hosp in Birmingham... But they only do measurements, analysis of bloods for everything and list of ailments. Not exercise or food or even a consideration as to whether you ate on mdi or pump etc. they then store the blood for research companies to use.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My experience of consultants hasn't been the greatest. As long as there was no neuropathy and Hba1c results were within guidelines, for ten years they really weren't very interested. Actually seeing a proper consultant regularly just didn't happen. Multiple junior doctors and never the same one twice, which is why I moved back into GP care.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
My experience of consultants hasn't been the greatest. As long as there was no neuropathy and Hba1c results were within guidelines, for ten years they really weren't very interested. Actually seeing a proper consultant regularly just didn't happen. Multiple junior doctors and never the same one twice, which is why I moved back into GP care.

Crikey!! Thats rough. I think mine nags me more with hypo's due to my driving incident. They never let me forget it.. And believe me I won't either!! It may just be me that gets treated this way...??

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had a diabetic clinic yesterday my consultant Prof.B was not there so I saw a Dr.C instead.
Dr.C went through the routine things with me then got to my last blood test.
Unlike my usual consultant he was not at all happy with my HbA1c reading of 36 (5.4%). It had gone up by 2 points since the last reading 3 months ago which I wasn't pleased about but he wasn't pleased because he thought it was too low.
He then interrogated (I can't think of a more applicable word) me about my blood sugar control.
I could see where the lecture was going so I told him I aim to keep my BS between 5-6 rather than the 4-5 I actually aim for. Dr.C was not happy with this and told me to relax my control and aim for between 6-9 - he went on about the dangers of hypo unawareness and driving under 5 (which I don't do) and asked me if I kept a diary.
I had taken my Libre in to show Prof. B but as soon as Dr.C had started to go on about the dangers of low sugars I kept it snuggly in my pocket - there was no way I was going to show him screen after screen of graphs in the red - erroneous or not.
I told Dr.C that I didn't keep a diary anymore but used software to print out my historic sugar levels should I want to see them. Dr.C asked if I would bring in a print out at my next visit.
First thing I did when I got home was to dedicate one of my meters to only record readings that are above 5.5 - I don't really like being underhanded but I got the impression Dr.C would have no compunction about snitching to the DVLA.
So I agree with @donnellysdogs - be careful who you show your Libre to especially if it's reading low.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just started my last sensor, fingers crossed it's as good as the last one which was so good I actually stopped fingerprick tests - well only one a day to check the scans were still good.
It's been in since Thursday (pricked a little this time) so has had about a 48 hour priming and I'm hoping it will be good from the start.
The last sensor is still stuck solid - I'm going to leave it on to see how long it takes to fall off.