AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello happy Libre users.

Do any of you guys routinely run your bloods in the low 4s and lots of 3s? I appreciate that's not the desired range for T1s, but that's where my un-medicated little body is running these days.

I'm interested to see my blood profiling and trends, but fear I would just get lots of "Low"s from the Freestyle, as it seems to read a bit low anyway?

I've looked on the Abbott website to find a technical helpdesk email, but can't find anything specific. Could anyone give me an email address I could use to direct my queries?

Many thanks.

igmr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
You guys are right, you cannot link a new reader to an activated sensor.

Abbot suggested that I throw away a 3 day old sensor and start up a new one at my own cost.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello happy Libre users.

Do any of you guys routinely run your bloods in the low 4s and lots of 3s? I appreciate that's not the desired range for T1s, but that's where my un-medicated little body is running these days.

I'm interested to see my blood profiling and trends, but fear I would just get lots of "Low"s from the Freestyle, as it seems to read a bit low anyway?

I've looked on the Abbott website to find a technical helpdesk email, but can't find anything specific. Could anyone give me an email address I could use to direct my queries?

Many thanks.
I don't have any 'lo' issues when in the 4s and 3s.

The only time I had 'lo' trouble was with my first sensor which I had put on the side of my arm. I felt that I only got the 'lo' message during the night when I wast sleeping on my side with my weight on the sensor.

The last three sensors have been on the back of my arm and no 'lo's with these.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any 'lo' issues when in the 4s and 3s.

The only time I had 'lo' trouble was with my first sensor which I had put on the side of my arm. I felt that I only got the 'lo' message during the night when I wast sleeping on my side with my weight on the sensor.

The last three sensors have been on the back of my arm and no 'lo's with these.

Thanks Robert. That's very encouraging.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hmmm. I know people have complained about the customer service from Abbott, but I called up about my failed sensor yesterday and my account has a new order on it for the returns package and a new sensor and it has already been despatched! That's pretty good in my book.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm. I know people have complained about the customer service from Abbott, but I called up about my failed sensor yesterday and my account has a new order on it for the returns package and a new sensor and it has already been despatched! That's pretty good in my book.
Took them 10 days to do mine - maybe they are catching up a bit now

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all,

I've been following this thread for a while.

Was not luckily enough to get hold of a Libre, so am on the list for the Q1 2015. restock.

I've not read all 83 pages, nor am I on Facebook, so cannot access the groups.

Any chance we could have a little round up of the general consensus of the freestyle

Any tips and tricks to increase accuracy from sensors, I was thinking it may make sense to let them bed in for 24 hours before activating.

What sort of failure rates and margin of error from BG values have people generally been getting?

Cheers,

Buckley.

Last edited by a moderator:

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thankin' you.

Although I should probably go out and be sociable, it is a Friday after all ;)

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just put in sensor number 4, seriously don't know where the time has gone! Can't believe I've been using this for 6 weeks. Although saying that the amount of control I have gained in 6 weeks is phenomenal!

I've lowered my basal 30% to stop the night time hypos I didn't even know I was having. I now wake up feeling refreshed rather than still tired. I also hypo about 5 times less because I could do basal testing (fasting and monitoring blood) and got my basal right finally!

I know how long to inject before different types of foods so that I don't have post-meal spikes.

I don't have to stop and test on the go, I just do a quick scan. I do still try to test a couple of times a day to check calibration, or if I need help calculating my insulin needs, but often I go days without testing.

It's shown me the massive advantages of low carbing.

I feel healthier than I ever have in my life. I do get variances of up to 1mmol (except when changing rapidly it takes time to catch up), and I take this into account.

I love it, I'm in the 60 mins between sensors and missing it already! I love it so much. I don't worry about my blood sugars anymore, I almost feel like a normal person again (apart from all the injecting) :)

I reallllly want one now, I was very close to getting one from Germany but my order got cancelled due to low stock ha!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I reallllly want one now, I was very close to getting one from Germany but my order got cancelled due to low stock ha!
Ooh no. I would definitely recommend it. The sensors do a take a couple of days each time to start being accurate but when they do it's brilliant :)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I seem to be less rejection of sensors than some. Both this and my first one have kicked in within 24 hours of being applied. Quite impressed really! Okay, very impressed. This thing is so handy!

colsan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Tim, onto my fourth sensor now and all been great after around 16hrs. Only problem I've had is showing low during my first night each time. I was only diagnosed 4 weeks before I got my hands on the libre so for me this has made getting good control a whole lot easier than it would be been for most. I love it, can't imagine life without it. :)

Reactions: 2 people

darrenh04

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Attended a conference yesterday. So handy to be able to track levels with a subtle scan. Wouldn't be possible to start finger pricking. Have had to either eat to know I will stay high enough or rely on feeling a hypo coming on the past. One of my best days while at one of these events.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Another non diabetic graph, this time showing drinking and its after effects.

35332dd4adb8bb8ccb42178e713f223a.jpg

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
Wonder if the body recovered the hypo itsself or that something has been eaten to recover..

By the way @AndBreathe . It's true the Libre shows bloodsugars of 3 and 4, but it already does that when your actual glucose level is at 4/5 mmol. So if your glucolevel is really at 3 I think the Libre would read Low sometimes. Maybe you just try it out, at least you would get the trend.

buckley8219

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Another non diabetic graph, this time showing drinking and its after effects.

35332dd4adb8bb8ccb42178e713f223a.jpg
Hi Tim,

What do you mean by a non diabetic graph? Have you got a sensor hooked up to a non diabetic person to assess what a normal glucose profile looks like?

Or have you nailed your diabetes control and are flat lining? If so good work on those numbers.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
These are from a member of the libre group on Facebook that has been trialling the sensor before putting it on her daughter. So these are graphs from a non diabetic person.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
Hello all,

I've been following this thread for a while.

Was not luckily enough to get hold of a Libre, so am on the list for the Q1 2015. restock.

I've not read all 83 pages, nor am I on Facebook, so cannot access the groups.

Any chance we could have a little round up of the general consensus of the freestyle

Any tips and tricks to increase accuracy from sensors, I was thinking it may make sense to let them bed in for 24 hours before activating.

What sort of failure rates and margin of error from BG values have people generally been getting?

Cheers,

Buckley.
I had major problems with 'LO' readings with my first 3 sensors - the first sensor just gave up the ghost and ended its life after 12 hours :dead: The other 2 were reading at least 2 mmols lower than fingerprick tests and as I like to keep my sugars in the low 4s all the scanner was showing was a flat line of 'LO's :meh:

It's unfortunate that the Libre system's lowest scan reading is 2.2 mmol - if it went lower (like most BG meters do) then trend (graph) data would still be useful even with inaccurate readings.

The 4th sensor I used was excellent and was often spot on with my BG meter, inaccuracies were within 1 mmol of fingerpricks - I learnt a fantastic amount about how food and insulin affect my glucose level with that sensor - if only they were all like that :)

I'm one week in with my 5th sensor - It's not as good as the 4th sensor but better than the first 3. It tends to read around 1.5 mmol low compared to fingerpricks but the trend data is excellent. Conveniently I've also had trouble keeping my sugars in the low 4s this week - lack of exercise due to cold weather (my excuse) so this has helped in preventing the reader showing 'LO' all the time.

Note - I've only purchased the starter pack, the other 3 sensors (+ a replacement reader) were sent by Abbott as replacements for the sensors that failed to work properly.

I think it is still a lottery whether you get a good sensor or not but hopefully Abbott are actively improving quality control and tweeking software.

Interestlingly, along with many people who find the sensors to be consistently accurate compared to BG readings there are people who find that scans are consistently lower and people who find that scans are consistently higher. This suggests to me that there must be differences in peoples interstitial fluid which affect glucose measurement so maybe the system is not suitable for everyone. However you'll never know until you try and if it works for you it'll be the best thing since giving up sliced bread for controlling your sugars :D

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Brown rice and Novorapid don't get on with each other. Insulin taken after eating. Foods obviously having an effect, but the Novorapid is too fast acting for the rice duration. Ah well. Split dose for it in the future!

e00729ed1538bfac7f6285203bf96a58.jpg