FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brown rice and Novorapid don't get on with each other. Insulin taken after eating. Foods obviously having an effect, but the Novorapid is too fast acting for the rice duration. Ah well. Split dose for it in the future!

e00729ed1538bfac7f6285203bf96a58.jpg
Surely you just need to inject earlier? I need 20 mins before rice

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That isn't the issue. It's the latter spike which is still the rice kicking on. Incidentally, the red low is about 4.2 on a finger prick.

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is extremely interesting. Are there any more of those from a non-d person? Looks like NICE guidelines saying that non d people don't go above 9 aren't so true!

I'd think that spike would be a little too generous as the algorithm is following the predicted path to anticipate the rapid spike, I know I've seen exaggerated spikes on my Libre. Either way though, I'm surprised that there is such a spike anyway. I thought the body was more efficient than that, I'm going to be less hard on myself :).

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well the replacement sensor and delivery bag turned up today after calling at 3pm on Thursday. Very quick turnaround!

Sideburnt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Surely you just need to inject earlier? I need 20 mins before rice
I'm surprised at that spike. I eat the majority of my carbs in the evening, so around 25-30g?, and I barely need to take any insulin for it post gym session. How much are you eating? you could try Quinoa for a good grain replacement that has a high protein content, so it's good for you to bulk up if that's what you're after. I'd also recommend a split bolus if you're eating 40+ grams of carb in one sitting, especially for carbs with high fiber content like Brown rice and Sweet Potato, it's the only way for me to avoid the low/high swing.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I'm surprised at that spike. I eat the majority of my carbs in the evening, so around 25-30g?, and I barely need to take any insulin for it post gym session. How much are you eating? you could try Quinoa for a good grain replacement that has a high protein content, so it's good for you to bulk up if that's what you're after. I'd also recommend a split bolus if you're eating 40+ grams of carb in one sitting, especially for carbs with high fiber content like Brown rice and Sweet Potato, it's the only way for me to avoid the low/high swing.
Yes, I was too. It really wasn't working as I expected. I find Quinoa is too low in carbs given the amount of food I'm having to eat, so while it has protein, I still need to eat a lot. Either way, libre's taught me more about how to manage it in two months than I have in twenty years of finger pricking.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Okay, so my sensors have generally been okay, however, methinks a variation of 6mmol/l between blood and IF glucose levels may be a teensy bit out...

cead2952fafe1b97b2e7d92a07bb9fca.jpg

Nothing like going down with a cold though...

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
There may be a reason why the insulin calculator only functions from the test strip results....

3080acdb734e2256d13ddf2e59415cfb.jpg

Hill28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Uhm..diabetes
I have to say the Libre needs a lot of blood for a traditional bloodglucose test, I think twice as much as the Contour Next Im using normally. Abbot failed to innovate this old testmethod as much as Bayer did. So let's hope the lack of innovation will not appear with the sensors or let's hope Bayer picks up the idea and creates sensors with better accuracy;)

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've noticed that the bg test strips start the butterfly well before all the blood they can hold had gone in. I have yet to stop feeding one in time though.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Grr I'm not impressed with myself. I've injected a lot over last few hours and it's not coming down! I want to go to sleep! :-(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    796.3 KB · Views: 420

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
had an interesting situation... went out for a few too many beers. Usually id hypo after alcohol. I decided to have an aero chocolate on my way home as my blood sugar dropped to 4.6 and having the munchies, I bought a sneaky bag of pork scratchings. It was amazing, my blood sugar stayed between 5 and 6 the entire night.

Yesterday my blood sugar was so eratic so I went out and bought another bag of park scratchings. I ate a handfull as I am really careful as to the type of food that I eat. Usually I hardly eat any fat. My blood sugar stabilised immediatedly.

Anyone have any recomendations of good fats that I can incorporate into my diet?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Grr I'm not impressed with myself. I've injected a lot over last few hours and it's not coming down! I want to go to sleep! :-(
I know the feeling. Highly frustrating. @Omnipod That's the benefit of a low carb higher fat diet. It does that to your blood sugar levels most of the time. Now the consultants won't like it, but it does make a difference!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you might be coming down with something..got your sick day rules?

Sick day rules
http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/info/?page_id=141
http://www.diabetes-healthnet.ac.uk...flet_-_Sick_Day_Rules_for_Type_1_-_Nov_13.pdf

Sick day rules flowchart
http://www.leicestershirediabetes.org.uk/uploads//documents/Type1 Sick_day_rules_InsulinV3.pdf

rubold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to say the Libre needs a lot of blood for a traditional bloodglucose test, I think twice as much as the Contour Next Im using normally. Abbot failed to innovate this old testmethod as much as Bayer did. So let's hope the lack of innovation will not appear with the sensors or let's hope Bayer picks up the idea and creates sensors with better accuracy;)

Interesting you say that about Abbott not innovating an old test method. I obtained an Optium Neo that uses the same strips as the Libre, to evaluate the accuracy compared to Freestyle Lite, in anticipation of obtaining a Libre in the future. The Abbott meters that use the Freestyle Lite strips are generally the most accurate on the market from an independent test report.. These strips also work with the tiniest blood drop, assisted by the ZipWik tabs and more blood can be added in subsequent attempts if you fail to meet even the miniscule requirement at first attempt. So I was certainly surprised when I first read that Libre used the Optium strips, particularly when Abbott's own package inserts demonstrate that Freestyle Lite strips have superior accuracy. Having said all that, my comparison checks with Lite strips have all been within 0.2 mmol.

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I use Freestle Lite strips and am looking to change to Optium so as to have just one meter; does anyone know if the blood tests are incorporated into the glucose management results you get when you download data or look at the 'history' part of the Libre?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
When you export the data, you have a separate column for the Blood test results. Blood tests do show up in the report, but are highlighted as blood sugar rather than sensor readings.