FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
They dont fall off. 2 a month is fine. If anything does go wrong with a sensor before the due date.... Abbott are good at replacing them. I been on the Libre for a year. Ive had about 5 in total go wrong and they have always been replaced. I shower, swim, steam and excercise and they dont come off
Lucky you! I've had to replace one in every three roughly.

Reactions: 2 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucky you! I've had to replace one in every three roughly.
1 in 3? Wow.... Do you wip the area with the swab first then let it dry?
I usually wear mine right at the back of my arm just below the shoulder...almost in line with the armpit. Its usaully always covered by a t shirt sleeve

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you're right, Novorapid does not work immediatly and it is ridiculous that claims are being made that injection after meals would be possible.

For me 20 minutes in advance work best. If I eat fast carbs like sugar or cake it could be 30 minutes. If I eat slow carbs like fries or pasta, injection just before meal is ok.

I dont know if ther are any faster insulines, but a 'super insuline' was mentioned earlier in this topic.

Yeah about the same for me. Been injecting 30-40 mins in advance and that has been doing the trick

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I usually wear mine right at the back of my arm just below the shoulder...almost in line with the armpit. Its usaully always covered by a t shirt sleeve
I've had a couple fall off, and one fail, but for the most part I've had them replaced due to issues with accuracy. I have had a good few that, after 10 days, have started to read "LO" contstantly, for no reason, so have become useless, and a fair few others that, once beyond 7-10 days, produce results that are 25% or more away from my tested blood levels. All of these have been replaced.

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have only had one fall off in the 8 months I have been using it and (touch wood) no issues so far. I think placement is absolutely key. I spent a while getting my partner to assess where best to put it. A surface that is flat all the time really helps. I found too far round the back of my arm wasn't quite flat enough. Need to work out if you lie on that part of the arm putting pressure on it or if anything rubs and if it's on edge of a muscle. I know it sounds basic but I definitely think it helps.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I have only had one fall off in the 8 months I have been using it and (touch wood) no issues so far. I think placement is absolutely key. I spent a while getting my partner to assess where best to put it. A surface that is flat all the time really helps. I found too far round the back of my arm wasn't quite flat enough. Need to work out if you lie on that part of the arm putting pressure on it or if anything rubs and if it's on edge of a muscle. I know it sounds basic but I definitely think it helps.
Unfortunately, there are not many flat areas on my arms!

TOMJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you considers you leg at all? I used it for about a month and a half to give my arms a rest and found it to be just as accurate and had no issues with it coming off. I know it hasn't been approved by Abbott, but I and other users have found that it is just as accurate. Just a thought though

xequtor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah about the same for me. Been injecting 30-40 mins in advance and that has been doing the trick
I had a problem with Novorapid acting too slow, my solution is to inject intramuscular (six pack, the area about belly buttom absorbs insulin the best and fast), now starts acting after 15min.
Next step will be intravascular, but if you do it too often then may look like you are a junkie :) (injection place will be a vain in middle arm or how you call it)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I had a problem with Novorapid acting too slow, my solution is to inject intramuscular (six pack, the area about belly buttom absorbs insulin the best and fast), now starts acting after 15min.
Next step will be intravascular, but if you do it too often then may look like you are a junkie :) (injection place will be a vain in middle arm or how you call it)
Or learn how to time Novorapid?

xequtor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or learn how to time Novorapid?
not in my case, maybe you should ? :)
not every one is reacting same way to insulin (insulin resistance) so injecting under the skin with 4-5mm may take even 1-1.5h (ymmv) to start working, for some may better alternative to inject intramuscular if you injecting just before a meal or after.
If someone is at home and do nothing then can schedule your meal time and inject 30min -1h before meal.
Not for people who are working and are in meetings or don't have regular meal time schedule.

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
not in my case, maybe you should ? :)
not every one is reacting same way to insulin (insulin resistance) so injecting under the skin with 4-5mm may take even 1-1.5h (ymmv) to start working, for some may better alternative to inject intramuscular if you injecting just before a meal or after.
If someone is at home and do nothing then can schedule your meal time and inject 30min -1h before meal.
Not for people who are working and are in meetings or don't have regular meal time schedule.

Obviously you should do what works for you and that is fine.
This comment comes across as patronising, bordering on rude, though.
There are plenty of us in extremely full time busy jobs without a v regular schedule who manage absolutely fine, thanks!
Most people are not sitting at home doing nothing all day...

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Absolutely right @misswhiplash. As someone who doesn't have a regular schedule, somehow I manage to find time to work out when I'm going to eat and inject accordingly. Must be magic. @xequtor, if you had insulin resistance, injecting in your muscles would also yield poor results, so I suspect this isn't what is causing your problems. The shape of a novorapid absorption rate graph isn't that it is working at peak after thirty minutes, but that it peaks at an hour to two hours, so if you are experiencing food peaks soon after eating, it does beg the question as to what you are eating and whether you might consider a different diet mix with normal injections.

Long term use of intramuscular injections can damage muscle fibres, so you may want to consider how you treat yourself, just as long term intravenous injection causes vein collapse.

Reactions: 4 people

partner_of

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Rubold, as it goes, the device is great and gives you far more insight into how your blood glucose levels vary with all sorts of circumstances.

I think too many people on the forum set too much store in the absolute value of all blood glucose tests. Yes, this is important, but it is equally, if not more important to know how your body reacts to what you do to it. Outside of a cgm, you won't get a better way than this. If you bear in mind that the variance across different bgm devices can be as much as 12.5% even in the midrange of good blood sugars, the variance in sensor readings is only startling because most people don't test simultaneously across meters.

Even with it, knowing just how fast your insulin takes effect, or that just before you get in the car to drive, your blood sugar test is reading fine, but your blood sugar is dropping at a medium or fast rate, is invaluable. You can't get that from a bgm, and you start to interpret your sensor readings in a far more useful way.

It can't replace bg tests because it will never be as up to the minute as a bg test is, but to discard it due to the noise on the forum is also a mistake. Abbott will have released thousands of these. Those who are happy generally don't make any noise, those who aren't, do.

As a note, I'm extremely happy with mine. I've learned far more about how my bg changes in three days with it than in a lifetime of finger pricking. No, it's not as "accurate" as my bgm, but with a bgm I can't see a likely hypo coming at 5 mmol/l and do something about it, or see a rapid increase going on at 8mmol, both of which are normal readings. Due to this, I think it significantly out performs my bg testing and in three days use I am able to manage my balance better with it than without.[/QUOTE]

My partner is using her second Libre sensor and the results are so random I wonder if anyone has had an answer from Abbott about the accuracy one can expect.
We are simultaneously taking bg readings on an Abbott Xceed meter and the Libre reader.
The differences can be up to 62%. The Libre has given lower readings on 23 out of the last 24 scans. Identical finger prick readings vary enormously on the Libre reader.
Abbott's help line for the UK seemed to be a call centre in Poland that was not very helpful.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Consistency across sensors is something many have noticed, which is even worse for me towards the end of the second week.

EmmaW78

Spoke to a research nurse who said they are increasing production of the Libre. Anyone else heard similar or know any more details? Just finished a trial of it and want it back ASAP!!!

buzzmonkey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys,

So I signed up to the waiting list about a month ago, can anyone guess how long I'll have to wait - or is it like asking how long a piece of string is? :p

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just seen on the Facebook group that Abbott has posted advice saying you shouldn't use the reader in-flight and should rely on finger pricks only. I fly regularly and have never had any problems at all. Anyone know the reason for their advice?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@buzzmonkey the current length of said piece of string is at least 6 months, although I believe Abbot are making some sort of announcement on Saturday(?) and rumor has it they are upping production.