1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle libre sensor, causing shoulder impingement?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by joules, Nov 22, 2018.

1. joules

joules Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have been using this for a year now and since have ended up with a severe shoulder impingement on both arms. Not sure if it can be related as have been assured by Abbots that it only goes into the skin and not to any nerve tissue, however am concerned. Could it be that there's a voltage current perhaps that could cause long term damage??

My symtoms are that I am unable to raise either arms nor scratch my back without excruciating pain.

Has anyone else using these encountered the same issue?

#1 joules, Nov 22, 2018 at 6:30 PM
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@joules . It sounds like you have rotator cuff issues in your shoulders. Doubt that the libre could be the cause.
    Perhaps investigate rc causes and symptoms and see if anything is applicable to your problems/ lifestyle.
    Rotator cuff injuries are very common in men of a certain age and can be caused by many varied things.
    Sorry can’t offer anything specific to the libre.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Fenn

Fenn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Im not sure if inpingment is another name for frozen should but we are more likely to have frozen shoulder as diabetics, ive enjoyed in both shoulders, thankfully not at the same time, and did not have the libre at the time.

I hope your not talking about frozen shoulder because if you have both sides at once you have my absolute sympathy for what its worth

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. endocrinegremlin

endocrinegremlin Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I cannot say it is not the issue but only say that me, my mother and my aunt have used the same programme for over a year and not seen the same complication.

5. Circuspony

Circuspony Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What insulin are you taking? I had a lot of muscle related problems with lantus

• Like Like x 1
  6. joules

joules Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been taking lantus for some years actually. That's interesting. What have you found and did you change to something else that works better for you?

7. Dicko

Dicko Type 1 · Member

@joules I've had impingement in both shoulders, it was diagnosed when i was 18 (1988) I was diagnosed with Type 1 in 1986.

When impingement was initially diagnosed there wasn't much they could do. I eventually had keyhole surgery in 2011. Impingement is ultimately where there isn't enough room within the shoulder joint for everything, so they need to grind bone and tendon away to make room. Its very doubtful that Libre has caused it, more that, overuse can cause it, from my perspective it was rowing at a young age for many years. The surgery worked well and I have full movement in both shoulders with no pain, I have also been using Libre for 18 months without any issues.

Cheers,

Andy.

8. EllsKBells

EllsKBells Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nerve 'flow' is in the opposite direction - in theory you could have problems below the site of the Libre, but it's unlikely to be above. It would also be unlikely that the filament could be deep enough to contact a nerve, which are also very very tiny. So I think you can rule out the Libre as a cause.

That said, I hope you are able to find some resolution for your shoulder problems - joint problems can be so soul destroying :/ hugs.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook