Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@Listlad the suspense is killing me, please send the info over.

Reactions: porl69

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Top secret stuff.

You can probably read it anyway.
Not unless you tell me where in the public domain it is so I can track it down. Or you decide to share the secret.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Listlad You are derailing the thread with your 'insider comment' if you're not going to share this information on the forum then please desist in posting further on the subject as your posts will be deleted.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Listlad You are derailing the thread with your 'insider comment' if you're not going to share this information on the forum then please desist in posting further on the subject as your posts will be deleted.
I have tried to share information before and it has been deleted.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Listlad If it breaks forum rules then yes it will be deleted, it would be wise to review our forum rules as per my signature and if you feel it's acceptable then post, however please refrain from continuing to derail threads with your own agenda, the OP was asking for advice and members should help each other, rather than posting endless responses which add no value.

Reactions: Ica291

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Spoiler alert : there's nothing interesting to read, no apparent insider information. A blog by somebody who occasionally mentions libre and that it's great for driving (most recent post), but nothing surprising or new. Sorry, @Listlad, they may have said some interesting stuff to you in person, but it's not made it onto their blog.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Spoiler alert : there's nothing interesting to read, no apparent insider information. A blog by somebody who occasionally mentions libre and that it's great for driving (most recent post), but nothing surprising or new. Sorry, @Listlad, they may have said some interesting stuff to you in person, but it's not made it onto their blog.
Beat me to it :)

Andrea40

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,
I have been put onto the Freestyle libre sensor by my local hospital. According to the hospital my GP should be able to supply this as the CCG has approved it.
My GP’s practice have contacted me today (7 days left on my sensor) to say that they can’t supply the sensors as they are not on their formulary and issued me with a blood meter instead.
I am completely baffled as to why they can’t supply it and why on earth would I want another meter when testing my fingers was my biggest problem; I get the feeling this is a cost issue. I’m really unhappy. Any advice?
I appreciate your thoughts, Haleema x
Hi I have just had one fitted and was told to reorder through the hospital/diabetic team

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, but he works as a consultant for Abbott and Diabetes.org.uk or Diabetes UK (a well respected body in the Diabetes community) and is held in high esteem. I am hoping to see him tomorrow. If I were a T1 diabetic and was using a Libre he would be quite a good individual to know. But I am not certain if he wanted his name plastered over this forum. I will ask him tomorrow.

If I get a chance I will try and find out a lot more that you might find useful. I know he was up at Westminster a few months back so he seems well enough connected.

Last edited:

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know to get mine on prescription (finally got it today) I had to have a letter from the consultant at the hospital to tell the GP to prescribe it, as they were apparently not allowed to prescribe it without approval for me from the hospital (my CCGs rules I think).
So you might need to get the consultant to send his/her approval through to your doctors - I'd be contacting your consultant/hospital clinic asap to sort it out - as it may not be quick.

I had to wait for my consultant to write to my GP asking for the libre to be put on my prescription list for 6 months. I attended a 2 hour training session and got one free sensor, but it has now stopped working as even after 2 weeks I still don't have a replacement. The system takes a long time I'm afraid.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to wait for my consultant to write to my GP asking for the libre to be put on my prescription list for 6 months. I attended a 2 hour training session and got one free sensor, but it has now stopped working as even after 2 weeks I still don't have a replacement. The system takes a long time I'm afraid.
Maybe Abbott can’t keep up with increasing demand?

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to order mine through the NHS Trust that covers my area. My GP's surgery is not permitted to prescribe it. I have to collect the Libre from my local hospital pharmacy. I do a finger prick test if I am going to be driving anywhere just to confirm the accuracy of the Libre.

Reactions: Capt-Slog
D

Deleted Account

I do a finger prick test if I am going to be driving anywhere just to confirm the accuracy of the Libre.
Are you aware the DVLA have recently changed their rules and they now accept Libre readings?
To be honest, I still frequently check the accuracy of mine with finger pricks and understand if you want to stick with your approach when driving. Just wanted to share the latest news on this.

Reactions: Capt-Slog

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I still have not had a reply from my local (Northumberland) CCG board asking if they are accepting blood testing with the Libre as apposed to finger pricking as some CCG's appear to be doing, to qualify for NHS funding. Ithink they are ignoring me.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do note if they error, stop working etc, you probably have to contact Abbott (the people who make them) and let them know there's been a problem with it. I know when I have had issues, a new one has been sent out as a replacement from Abbott (with bio-hazard bags and a postage paid envelope to return the brokern/faulty one) and has generally arrived within a week.
When I finally got my approval I was told that I had to contact Abbott for faults and they would replace them, the doctor would not prescribe for replacements for faulty sensors.