1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre very inaccurate??

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by MissZButler, Apr 2, 2020.

1. MissZButler

MissZButler Type 1 · Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to using the Freestyle Libre - and was diagnosed with T1DM in February.
    I've been finding that the libre has been really off in comparison to my finger prick readings - especially at night time before bed. For example tonight my Libre is reading 3.8, but I do not feel as though I am having a hypo and I have really good hypo awareness usually. When I've done my finger prick it is say 7.2.
    It can cause quite a bit of anxiety as I don't want to go to bed worrying my reading are low - but been waking up in the night to check with the finger prick and have not had night hypos.

Does anyone else have these issues? Thinking of coming off my libre as it seems to be not very helpful in terms of getting accurate readings.
    Thanks in advance

2. MarkHaZ123

MarkHaZ123 · Well-Known Member

Iv not long started on the libre. On my third patch now and Iv not had any issues like you have. Maybe it's the sensor and you need it replacing? Possibly ring Freestyle and speak to them about it?

I know readings can be a little different as the time delay on them can be 15 mins

I generally find my reading arent far off at all thankfully and with my work and sport I do it's a great thing to use

• Like Like x 1
  3. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Is this your first sensor?

There are duds every now and then. Sometimes it also comes more closely into line after 24hrs or so.

Some people wear them for 24hrs before activating them to allow them to ' settle in'.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. MissZButler

This one is my 3rd sensor now - the first worked well but the last two I've had the inaccuracies with them. I have it with the app on my phone and its so handy but with it being so out (by -4mmols sometimes) I'm just very cautious that I don't want to rely on it too much.
    Yeah I have read about that and I activated this one 24hrs after too :)

5. MissZButler

I'm going to keep the faith with it - I'm wondering if it is the 10 minute delay...but then I wonder surely my BM is not swinging by as much as the Libre is saying...
    I might keep a close record tomorrow of both libre and finger prick readings and do a close comparison and try and think what might be causing it (like active days, carb intake, stress etc)

6. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do several fingerprick tests and record the libre result 10 to 15 minutes later. If you are getting a large discrepency you can ring abbott and they will probably send you a new sensor (don't chuck the old one out as they may want it back).

If your results are consistently out by the same amount you may benefit from the xdrip app, which allows you to calibrate the sensor results against your blood sugar readings.

Some (luckily not many) people's bodies just don't agree with the libre and they never get good results. I'm unfortunately in that category and had to go back to fingerpricks after 8 months of libre use. (I became allergic to the sensor and the results when haywire).

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. geekypants

geekypants Type 1 · Member

I found, if its any help, that I have gotten to learn libre. It usually reads lower for me, too. I now don't use it for dosing, but it is still invaluable for learning trends, and that arrow usually doesn't lie.

• Like Like x 2
  8. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi geeky, when I first went onto the Libre I wasn't sure whether we were supposed to use it to dose with but am told the answer is yes, and that is why they are now only providing 50 test strips 'every 2 months or so', that equates to 1 a day or thereabouts. So now I use it in conjunction with my insulin dose but obviously have to calculate the fact that it lags behind blood tests and is not massively accurate when it gets into the lowish 4s which I am often in. I do love the freedom of it and being able to monitor trends but I will admit I have a concern about whether it is accurate enough to dose insulin. x

#8 KK123, Apr 3, 2020 at 2:58 PM
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  9. Paulaah

Paulaah · Well-Known Member

Hi,

I’ve had the exact same problem this morning with a new sensor I applied yesterday. It was inaccurate from the get go but I stuck with it for 24 hours. It was about 5mmol lower than blood reading and had actually registered a “low episode” this morning when in actual fact I wasn’t having a hypo at all and was 9.0 on my blood meter.
    Anyway, I phoned Abbott and they are sending me a new sensor.
    Most of my sensors have been accurate, the odd one has started dodgy, but fallen in line after 24 hours. My top tip is to take photo of freestyle meter reading next to blood reading or screen print and photo of blood meter. When you ring them about it they ask for 3 specific examples so at least you have the proof they need. I’ve always found them to do the right thing and agree to replace. I’ve been on libre since October and I’ve had 2 inaccurate ones.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. geekypants

geekypants Type 1 · Member

I've been told no for dosing, especially with pump microdosing. Mad how much variance there is in different areas!

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook