1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Freestyle Libre Wont Stay On!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by EmmaJemX, Mar 26, 2020.

1. EmmaJemX

EmmaJemX · Newbie

Hey everyone!

I got my libre sensor a month ago, and since then I have had a lot of trouble with the sensor staying put.

The issue isn't with the actual adhesive itself, that stays on fine. However, the actual sensor starts pulling away from the adhesive! I am a side sleeper and tend to lay on the side where my libre sits.

Has anyone else experienced this? What can I do to prevent this?

Atm, I do have patches covering the entire sensor, but I would like to not do this too often.

Keep Smiling! :)

2. MrsBRW

MrsBRW Type 1 · Member

I use the support bandages you can get. The stretchy tube ones. Use a knee one & pull it up over the top of my arm every night. Try it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kev-w

kev-w Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use Tegaderm patches to hold the libre in place and it stays on, I'm a side sleeper and doubt I'd be able to keep the sensor on without the patch, but for me they're ok (patches) and I don't get a skin reaction.

4. annliggins

annliggins Type 1 · Well-Known Member

TBH i sleep on the opposite side to the libre..takes practice but i put it on the op side to the side i sleep on....i also cover it with tubigrip ... youll get used to it

• Like Like x 1
  5. deanf27

deanf27 Type 1 · Member

Hi emmajemx I'm on the sensor my self I've had trouble with it myself swimming being one but I use a special medical tape called mefix tape it's really good water proof and stuff try asking your doctor or gp to proscribe it but all my best.

6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @EmmaJemX

Welcome to the forum.

I place the sensor inside the arm. Haven't lost one to date..

7. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My problem is slightly different in that the sensor won't stay stuck to me. My solution is to use Tegaderm or Hydrofilm over the top. Transparent so not that obvious and I might need to stick a second one over the top after trimming loosening edges after a week but it works for me. Hope you find something that works for you @EmmaJemX

8. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

OK? Thinking about this..? I've worked a lot with "3M" tape of automotive use in the past.

Have you tried warming the sensor up just a little before its applied, & just after. Pressing it down firmly & round the edges by playing a bit of warm air from a hairdryer on it?

It normally helps in colder weather with adhesion not only on my vehicles, but with applying the sensor too..

9. 22nw22

22nw22 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I always bandage my sensor to stop it coming loose, which helps to stop the sensor falling off. I would also recommend firmly applying the sensor and prodding it to make sure it's secure.

10. Simon barnard

Simon barnard · Newbie

I tend to use compression sleeves. They help avoid accidental removal, I also locate mine on the inside, rather than the outside of my arm, to prevent bumps from door frames.

11. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I use skintac wipes to help keep the sensor in place. You can get them various places such Diabetes Supply and Amazon.

Hope this helps

12. Goma5

Goma5 Type 1 · Active Member

Had this a couple of times where they get caught, but they have hung in there (literally) and gone the distance. the watch straps are good just to help the dodgy ones stay on. I never have to use minr much tho.

13. Jane1980

Jane1980 · Member

What compression sleeves do you use, I have issues with my libre staying put,
    Rachel

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook