Freestyle Libre

k_robeson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So this meter just got released in the states last week and I was lucky enough to find it and get a prescription for one.

So far so good with the sensor application (even though I did have to buy surgical tape to reinforce the sensor). I made it through the 12 hour start up and took my first reading at 12 hour mark and was at 99mg/dL. Not bad first reading and that is roughly where I stay when checking with my OneTouch Verio Flex.

Now this morning I wake up and scan it again and it says I’m 75mg/dL and it says to double check with my meter. Check it with Verio and it says I’m 116mg/dL???? ***!!

I went through this before when going from the OneTouch Ultra 2 to the Verio Flex which showed over 20mg/dL difference! I called OneTouch who told me that this was completely normal! Really? When you are constantly dodging between pre-diabetic and diabetic this is completely unacceptable! I obsess over my glucose levels because I am off my medicine in an attempt to not have medicine keep me alive and live a better life.

Can someone please tell me their experiences with the freestyle libre and if this meter is more accurate then my Verio Flex. I want this to be my main meter, but I also don’t want it lying to me! Good thing I’m not on insulin or I’d be be dead!!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do a search on these forums and you will find hosts of reports of inaccuracies, and stories of good readings too. I've posted some myself.

There are clearly reasons and explanations why they can differ from a finger prick, loads of explanations of that here too, but the general consensus is that it's just numbers, it's the change that is important, Most people find that meters and Libre are quite close in the 4-6 range. Above and below is just OUT and you need to act. That might be confirm with a meter or not depends how you feel and get on with it. I rarely do.

Some folk have not been able to live with it and have stopped. For the time being I'm happy to live with the slight vagaries.

Reactions: dbr10

k_robeson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
This right here is what drives me crazy!!!!! Look at the difference!!!! 100->76 is a major change for me.
146dd1131ab45c1d5a08fabbfdd85a45.jpg

Also, did I really go that low during my sleep??? Notice the red on the rolling graph.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Mine worked perfectly for the first 8 months. then progressively got more and more inaccurate. I think that is because I became allergic to the sensor. The inaccuracies were extreme under reading at the low to medium end.

Having said that, you may find your results dramatically improve after another 12 to 48 hours....

Don't necessarily believe the absolute numbers, but the trends are useful/

Reactions: dbr10

tubamanandy

Having used one for 2 weeks, I don't think they are particularly accurate (even allowing for the 15 min) - I used mine to see trends and food groups that were clearly causing me problems

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im on my first sensor and almost every time ive done a comparison between the libre value and the one from finger pricks they were within 0.2mmol of each other. The only exception was one day I had a couple of high readings - the libre put them at 12, finger prick at 9.