1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

freestyle question

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by aard, Jan 23, 2021.

1. aard

aard · Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a question on freestyle libre. I didnt realise this gets inserted.

As someone who is very clumsy always catching sleeves and ripping them etc this is making me very wary of getting one of these as I feel like I would always be catching it and ripping it out.

Is this a valid concern?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Possibly, but probably not. I've ripped a few out (doesn't hurt you but it wastes the sensor). Most often it's when a bra strap gets caught on the sensor (probably not an issue for you unless you're cross dressing), but I did once lose one when it snagged against my car window when I was reaching out to insert a card into a car park entrance meter. So I wouldn't worry. (And if you are cross dressing, just be really careful when you take off or put on a bra, :))

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Some people lose their Libre when they catch it on a door jamb. This is not an issue I have ever had.
    I make sure I position it on a flat part of my arm, slightly underneath and don't have a problem.
    I think we all have different types of skin. Mine allows the sensor to stick like a limpet. Others find sensor can peel off. They reinforced the stickiness by putting a band or tegaderm patch over the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Like a few others I cover mine with waterproof, clear covering along the lines mentioned above. I also tend to wear base layers (cling tight to arms) year round which hold them in place. I do need to take care when taking off base layers but haven't had any issues.

5. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've been using Hypafix or Tegaderm patches over my sensor for a few years now and haven't lost one since :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I used to be ultra careful and use Kinesiology tape to protect the sensor.

However I don't seem to bang myself on door frames and the like, and the Libre seems to stick to me like a limpet.
    I always have to pull really hard to get the old one off after it times out.
    Even though the glue has apparently been reformulated and may be slightly less sticky.

So if you tend to bang yourself on doorways, use some king of extra fastening.
    If you tend to catch your clothes when putting them on and off, then again take extra precautions.
    Otherwise you should be fine.

7. aard

aard · Well-Known Member

sounds like this may be a problem for, but i'll give it a go anyway!!!

8. urbanracer

urbanracer Type 1 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Just to add, I once completely forgot I was wearing it as it was unobtrusive. I knocked mine off whilst showering and simply running a soapy hand up the back of opposite arm :banghead:

9. Andy_Warlow

Andy_Warlow Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Would weight lifting,be a worry with it.

will it be secure enough with the movements of lift weight?

10. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

They’re fine with weightlifting. It’s a tiny piece of kit (about the size of a 10p coin) and sticks fast. Movement doesn’t seem to affect it at all. It’s more in danger if you knock it against something or if it’s submerged in water for a long time, but there are ways around those scenarios with simple coverings (tegaderm or rock tape).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

Hi @aard

I’m the clumsiest person and having lost a couple of sensors arguing with door frames, I always use a Tegaderm (transparent wound dressing). 6cm x 7cm is the ideal size and approx 50p if buying in bulk.

12. dani96xx

dani96xx Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had my libre for just over 12 months and have had no issues with it coming off. I also exercise and have no issues with it. Wouldnt even know it is there

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook