Type 1 Fried egg carbs

Lydia13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've recently started eating fried eggs with bread of breakfast, and I thought fried eggs had no carbs so only counted carbs for the bread, however a few hours later my blood sugar is always in the high teens! My carb counting for bread is pretty accurate so what could be causing this, are there carbs in eggs? It only happens when I eat fried eggs!

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Adding fat to anything will slow down absorption, so maybe the carbs are just waiting to catch you

You could do a test one day with eggs, next without.

I'd be surprised if eggs made a difference.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
I've recently started eating fried eggs with bread of breakfast, and I thought fried eggs had no carbs so only counted carbs for the bread, however a few hours later my blood sugar is always in the high teens! My carb counting for bread is pretty accurate so what could be causing this, are there carbs in eggs? It only happens when I eat fried eggs!
Don't worry about eggs but be careful about bread
1 egg large =0.24g carbs and 0.23g sugar
100g of bread = 57g carbs and 5g sugar total = about 63g that means when you eat 100g bread = about 50 eggs
81e36993cd7c9f533693aa88a1dadd02.jpg

92a9c7720517f7d4150ef8c00adea4f3.jpg

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein in the egg(s)?

How many carbs do you think are in your slice of bread? And which bread is it exactly (assuming it's shop bought!)?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lydia13 . You are correct , eggs are not something to consider regarding carbs. BUT they are protein.
Protein can cause an increase in BS levels.
It's a process called Gluconeogenesis. Maybe a good idea to google it and see how it works.
It affects us in different ways, have a read and see what you think and if you're still unsure ask some more questions.
I'm sure we'll be able to help:)

woodenone46

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say that it is probably the bread. I used to eat Asda White bread which has 18g Carbs per slice. I now make my own low carb bread or bread buns & the carbs are usually around 4g per serving

Reactions: meandmaboy

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that didn't know eggs had carbs, even small amounts, so they are now of the menu
But the amount of carbs in eggs is minute - they are one of the go to foods of many people on low carb - you'd be cracked to avoid them - sorry - could not resist......

Reactions: TIANDB

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's funny, ok I get you, how do I have half an egg lol give them ago tonight, it's all fun and games, still funny

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Thanks for that didn't know eggs had carbs, even small amounts, so they are now of the menu

I think a lot of us are wondering why you are so hung up on the minute amount of carbs in eggs, but are quite happy to eat bread.

Bread and eggs are likely to give your BG slightly more of a lift (eventually) because of the protein in the eggs but not by that much.

What do you intend to eat instead of the eggs? You still need protein and fats in your diet.

Edit: just seen your latest post. How about 2 eggs and half a slice of bread?

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@woodenone46 hello. I saw your post about making bread with only 4g of carbs. Please could you tell me where I might find the recipe? Thank you

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps SOME of the later rise is the normal rise many of us get from waking up and moving around. Then throw bread on top and there's two reasons for the rise.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps SOME of the later rise is the normal rise many of us get from waking up and moving around. Then throw bread on top and there's two reasons for the rise.

I would have assumed as the OP is type 1 they're counting the carbs and dosing bolus insulin accordingly hence the question of is there carbs in a fried egg.

It could be the protein or the fat thinking about it, so @Lydia13 fancy poached egg instead by way of a test? (don't forget to add a bit of vinegar to the water!)

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also what other breakfast do you part take in that doesn't rise you? And are you certain of the carbs in those?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have assumed as the OP is type 1 they're counting the carbs and dosing bolus insulin accordingly hence the question of is there carbs in a fried egg.

It could be the protein or the fat thinking about it, so @Lydia13 fancy poached egg instead by way of a test? (don't forget to add a bit of vinegar to the water!)
I am type 1 and very familiar with carb counting. There are other things that have effects like the protein and fats, the bolus timing, the activity etc.

Even though I accurately weighed and measured every carb in my meal I could never stay steady in the least. I still need a small bolus mid morning to stop the morning rise.

I don't know how you guys do it in the U.K. With the fiber already subtracted. I have to count every carb as a carb because fiber ( most) makes no difference to my bg. Maybe some very grainy seedy thing like flax or chia but I don't eat those so I don't know.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 and very familiar with carb counting. There are other things that have effects like the protein and fats, the bolus timing, the activity etc.

Don't we know it! :wideyed:

And this is where the OP chimes in and say I only have fried egg for breakfast when I'm off work and lazing around.........:smug: (??)

Kristin I guess you're state side, does your food packaging says carbs are x grams per 100g (or cup!?) but part of that x contains fiber so do you have to then look on the packet for the fiber content and take that away from x?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't we know it! :wideyed:

And this is where the OP chimes in and say I only have fried egg for breakfast when I'm off work and lazing around.........:smug: (??)

Kristin I guess you're state side, does your food packaging says carbs are x grams per 100g (or cup!?) but part of that x contains fiber so do you have to then look on the packet for the fiber content and take that away from x?
I have very little packaged food but I hunted up some labels I've saved

My tuna says serving size is 2 oz (56g)
Mayo 1 tablespoon (14g)
Kale sprouts 1 cup (85g/3 oz) total carbs 7g, fiber 5, sugar 1
Maitake mushrooms 2 oz (57g), carbs 2, fiber 1, sugar 1

So yes, it's lists carbs, fiber and sugar separate. I like this as I only look at carbs.

Big eye opening example is my beloved avocado. One med sized is about 5 oz which contains 13.5 carbs and 11.5 fiber. I eat about 1/3 at a meal and end to bolus for all the carbs. Actually I'm not sure if it's the fat or fiber or the carbs haha. I just know without it I drop or spike when all else in the meal is the same. Protein only inspike fast and hard and carbs only just forget it. The avo seems to bridge the gap between my food and insulin meeting up at the same time. Tried many different pre post bolus ping and nothing works but my stupid avo.

Back to the fiber and carb counting. At DX I was told to eat 20 carbs per meal. I always use 2 oz sweet potato and 1 ounce black beans. I would hypo and hyper all over the place. It was so hard on my body. Then eventually I lowered carbs and insulin and am much steadier. Though of course there are the moments of huh?? They're just not nearly as severe.
So I like seeing the full carb content. As all other foods, different fibers act differnt just like fats and proteins. Throw differnt macros in and it changes everything. Then the wind blows and it's all differnt again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251

Don't the labels show the percentage of macros etc like ours do?

All our labels have to show the nutrient content per 100g. So if carbs are 6g per 100g you know it is 6%. That is a legal requirement. Some packages also show amounts per serving and state the serving size. They also have to list all the ingredients in order of amounts, all ingredients including additives, flavourings etc.

Ours say, per 100g
Energy 285kJ/69 calories
Fat 5g
- of which saturated fat 0.4g
Carbohydrates 3.72g
- of which sugar 1.4g
Protein 2.2g
salt 1.4g
Fibre 0.5g

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251

Don't the labels show the percentage of macros etc like ours do?

All our labels have to show the nutrient content per 100g. So if carbs are 6g per 100g you know it is 6%. That is a legal requirement. Some packages also show amounts per serving and state the serving size. They also have to list all the ingredients in order of amounts, all ingredients including additives, flavourings etc.

Ours say, per 100g
Energy 285kJ/69 calories
Fat 5g
- of which saturated fat 0.4g
Carbohydrates 3.72g
- of which sugar 1.4g
Protein 2.2g
salt 1.4g
Fibre 0.5g
Yes they show the percentages picking their own serving size of course. Then they list the ingredients in highest percentage first.

Other than mayo, mustard and cheese I have very few foods with more than one ingredient with the exception of sea salt in my canned tuna, salmon and organic deli Meats.
Oh, we do have some wonderfully flavored chicken sausages and gf beef hot dogs. I can't believe how much sugar they can stuff into some of those sausages!!! Yikes!! My hubby eats them far more often than me but he always saves me some. He eats them mostly on the weekend and I love coming home from work on Saturday to a few slices.

I have to admit I get rather confused with your numbers but I'm sure you donwith mine as well