Frightening hypo

barb1

I had a hypo which came on so rapidly and I felt on the verge of passing out. Fortunately my hubby rushed and got my glucose tabs and I took 2 of them then ate something. Have had a further low reading since. First was 2.7 and second was 3.2. Still feeling pretty rough. Had same food as I always do today but on speaking to hospital Dietitian, she thought it might have been chips I'd had the night before at around 8pm. Seems to be a long time to show up especially as my B.S. was 4.4 on waking this morning and 4.5 just before breakfast, which was at around 10am. The hypo didn't occur until 11.30am.
Up until Tuesday last week, 3rd Jan I'd only had about 4 hypos in the last 2 months, but since last Tuesday I've had about 6.
I find it very difficult to work out where I'm going wrong when I have the same foods and I'm OK and other times they cause a hypo.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Scary for you Barb. What medication do you take?

D

Deleted Account

Exercise?
I say that because you have been experiencing more hypos since the new year and new years often come with resolutions to do more exercise.
I find exercise may result in delayed hypos. I put this down to my body/liver releasing more glucose to power my exercise which means I have less in my liver to "drip" into my blood stream the next day resulting in lower BG ... or a need for less insulin.

barb1

I don't take medication. Was Type 2 diabetic until I had gastric bypass but now have lost 8 and a half stone, so don't need the medication as HbA1c was 29 on last testing. However, now have reactive hypoglaecimia which apparently the hospital are seeing a lot more of their bariatric patients getting, so much so, they are running a new clinic for it. So I've swapped one diabetic problem for another and although I know that the problems associated with Type 2 diabetes are many and dangerous long term, I'd never had scary moments like today where I really felt like I was going to lose consciousness. Luckily I recognised the symptoms, checked my BS and took glucose then ate something
I do find it strange that sometimes at lows of 2.3 and 2.7 I feel OK but today BS was 2.7 and I felt terrible. At other times I get a reading of 4.0 or 4.3 and feel unwell.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would expect the livers normal behaviour to change whilst acclimatizing to the reduced gastric action, which may be responsible for the hypos.......just a guess though.....

it certainly doesn't sound like a diabetic hypo, so completely outwith anything I have experienced....

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a hypo which came on so rapidly and I felt on the verge of passing out. Fortunately my hubby rushed and got my glucose tabs and I took 2 of them then ate something. Have had a further low reading since. First was 2.7 and second was 3.2. Still feeling pretty rough. Had same food as I always do today but on speaking to hospital Dietitian, she thought it might have been chips I'd had the night before at around 8pm. Seems to be a long time to show up especially as my B.S. was 4.4 on waking this morning and 4.5 just before breakfast, which was at around 10am. The hypo didn't occur until 11.30am.
Up until Tuesday last week, 3rd Jan I'd only had about 4 hypos in the last 2 months, but since last Tuesday I've had about 6.
I find it very difficult to work out where I'm going wrong when I have the same foods and I'm OK and other times they cause a hypo.
Hi, again, @barb1
Hope you are feeling better.
I can only think that if you didn't eat, then maybe you can hypo. It's not my strong point after bariatric surgery. RH ers should not hypo after fasting.
If you had breakfast, then nothing till the hypo, then something that you had for breakfast, would cause the excess insulin in response.
If I had cereal or porridge for breakfast, then around 11am I would have a hypo.
If you are having some carbs you may want to eat every couple of hours, low carb, to offset you going hypo.
Is your control good? Are you going too high after food, in other words are you spiking to create the trigger for more insulin.

Give us some details of what you are eating? Especially for breakfast.

Best wishes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I don't take medication. Was Type 2 diabetic until I had gastric bypass but now have lost 8 and a half stone, so don't need the medication as HbA1c was 29 on last testing. However, now have reactive hypoglaecimia which apparently the hospital are seeing a lot more of their bariatric patients getting, so much so, they are running a new clinic for it. So I've swapped one diabetic problem for another and although I know that the problems associated with Type 2 diabetes are many and dangerous long term, I'd never had scary moments like today where I really felt like I was going to lose consciousness. Luckily I recognised the symptoms, checked my BS and took glucose then ate something
I do find it strange that sometimes at lows of 2.3 and 2.7 I feel OK but today BS was 2.7 and I felt terrible. At other times I get a reading of 4.0 or 4.3 and feel unwell.
When was your surgery?
How are your fasting blood glucose levels?
Have you read the forum, and the information on diet?
Have you asked for an insulin test, to see if you are still creating excessive insulin?

Sorry about the questions, but I read your posts and don't know wether you have seen our advice on control and dietary recommendations.

Best wishes

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found this article very surprising, as its got really good advice and a great description of the condition. It does recommend starchy vegetables, but I can't eat them, too much starch and would spike me!

Thanks for the link!

I was pleasantly surprised too, they are really on the right lines there.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was pleasantly surprised too, they are really on the right lines there.

I left a comment but their moderator has not allowed it for some unknown reason!
They didn't reply or get in touch. The comment actually congratulated them as the best description I have read on RH!

Touchy, touchy!