From the engine room ...

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well i for one am more than happy with my details being passed to companies like Bayer Acu Chek etc Ive lost count of the free meters and test strips ive received as a result and Ive also earned a few quid by giving a couple of hours of my time to answer some questions to a market research company in the past too.

Any adverts that I get that I am uninterested in I delete its quite simple I do it every day with other stuff I get sent by other companies. If I want to opt out of offers I can quite simply unsubscribe to the emails or opt out as its otherwise called, what I dont do is try to cause upset on this forum.

Quite honestly the few people that are moaning here quite obviously do not like this forum its mods, admin or owners as can be seen by their posts on another forum, so if you hate this forum so much why do you continue to post here?
I'm pleased you're not bothered by marketing and are happy to accept all the freebies on offer. Still, not everyone is. Also, I'm not sure what moaning members you are referring to as you clearly don't know me at all or what I do or don't like. You also have no clue about any other forums I may or may not visit.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well i for one am more than happy with my details being passed to companies like Bayer Acu Chek etc Ive lost count of the free meters and test strips ive received as a result and Ive also earned a few quid by giving a couple of hours of my time to answer some questions to a market research company in the past too.

Any adverts that I get that I am uninterested in I delete its quite simple I do it every day with other stuff I get sent by other companies. If I want to opt out of offers I can quite simply unsubscribe to the emails or opt out as its otherwise called, what I dont do is try to cause upset on this forum.

Quite honestly the few people that are moaning here quite obviously do not like this forum its mods, admin or owners as can be seen by their posts on another forum, so if you hate this forum so much why do you continue to post here?
I don't see anyone moaning. Just people with valid concerns about how data is used.

Reactions: 4 people
M

mrspuddleduck

Whilst I think the article could have been better ( the press what's new!), congrats diabetes.co.UK. Hope you win the award, I for one would have been lost without this forum! As for the pharma companies thing, I didn't tick the box, but can appreciate both duk's need to make money and peoples need for clarification on how information is used. Sue x

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@dannyw he had a number of patients who said that trying to follow a low carb diet was making them 'not enjoy' food - and it effected their mental health. I was amazed as I had never thought about this. Whilst that is a trivial example, it just goes to show that the old adage of 'different strokes for different folks' is appropriate.

This is a joke right?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Whilst @Administrator is watching this thread and @Giverny is the go to tech wizard!
Any news about the question I asked about having our own forum?
Also, has the home page been earmarked for change as the dietary advice is not as good as should be for Reactive Hypoglycaemia?

Many thanks!

And well done being nominated!

I suppose it's too much to hope for, getting asked for research grant as part of the diabetes group?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At the DUK HCP conference this year, I (Arjun) sat next to a chap who was a key contributor to the NHS guidelines for diabetes. When I relayed all of the positives of low carb and the benefit to health, his response was 'Yes, but it effects quality of life'. On asking him to elaborate, he described how, at his practice, he had a number of patients who said that trying to follow a low carb diet was making them 'not enjoy' food - and it effected their mental health. I was amazed as I had never thought about this. Whilst that is a trivial example, it just goes to show that the old adage of 'different strokes for different folks' is appropriate.

But surely it's up to the patient whether they low carb or not? If the NHS don't even tell them about it, they won't know about it. That plainly isn't right. It's very manipulative and controlling. These people obviously needed counselling, food is a fuel that's all. They wouldn't put diesel in a petrol car would they? It should be told to everyone as an option, not denied to everyone because some can't give up their chip butties. Egods! I really don't know what to say. No wonder there's an obesity epidemic. I wonder if the GP bothered to give his patients a Vit D test to see if a deficiency was causing the depression/mental problems?

Sorry just having a rant about the NHS, not you. :rolleyes: :)

Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
But surely it's up to the patient whether they low carb or not? If the NHS don't even tell them about it, they won't know about it. That plainly isn't right. It's very manipulative and controlling. These people obviously needed counselling, food is a fuel that's all. They wouldn't put diesel in a petrol car would they? It should be told to everyone as an option, not denied to everyone because some can't give up their chip butties. Egods! I really don't know what to say. No wonder there's an obesity epidemic. I wonder if the GP bothered to give his patients a Vit D test to see if a deficiency was causing the depression/mental problems?

Sorry just having a rant about the NHS, not you. :rolleyes: :)

I agree totally with what you say @zand.

But I live with two people who believe that you have to and can eat carbs, even though they see me and my great results on low carb
Also the wife will not eat anything other than what she was brought up on. Meat, two veg and spuds! Non other than the usual British menu!
Won't eat salad, fish only cod in batter etc. You have to have a hot meal! And so on!

I do despair!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, 'a key contributor to NHS guidelines for diabetes' declared that 'low carb effects quality of life'?
Errr, yes, that is what many here have found. I.e. Low carb enhances (and extends) quality of life.

Reactions: 15 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I read through this thread and do understand that the website will have a fair amount of costs from the servers and hosting costs to the license for the forum software (I assume @Giverny didn't write it all from scratch as that would be mammoth) and then the staff used in support of the website (I'm sure giverny's skills are in huge demand ;) plus all the rest of the staff )

I understand how things get taken out of context, misinterpreted and misconstrued to put over a point of view which may be unintentional and all we can do is put the point over again in some other form or just ignore it as too much protestation looks damning as well.

As a diet only (and I am going to use the C word) cured diabetic T2 who is a real food Taylorite (tm) I will say I am still here to help as many others as I can to try to reverse their T2 and as I have said to a few, what have they got to lose? If we can push the NHS/GPs/Pharma/NICE/DoH/Government/WHO down the reduced calorie then reduced carb before medication it would save lots for everyone to research into more "cures/treatments/etc" into all sorts of diseases. This to me is the real direction we should be pushing. Drugs should be a last resort not first. If you have the ears to those that can listen (yes I know they do not want to) then small nudges here and there will, over time, have a large impact.

BTW @Giverny scary avatar now and I'm still waiting for the wave that @sanguine asked for.

Reactions: 7 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @sanguine - the journalist who interviewed us (unfortunately) wrote a version of what we told her... her question was 'how does the website make money' and we responded by telling her that we connect clinical trials to people that fit the criteria. We now *really* appreciate how what is in the paper is faaaaar from what is said. We've called the CT to get the text changed (as technically, we didn't even tell her that)... and are waiting on their response - so will let everyone know when it's updated!

Hi, where these quotes taken from a recorded interview transcript? Or the (less personal) type of email interview to which you answer set questions..?

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still wary. Sure, I understand a huge forum like this requires funding but it should be out in the open for all to see. Also, the very fact funding comes from pharmaceutical companies worries me that promoting a LCHF lifestyle which may result in nil meds goes against the ethos of where your profits come from.
Have you contacted Telegraph yet to complain about your mis-quotes etc ?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Also, the very fact funding comes from pharmaceutical companies worries me that promoting a LCHF lifestyle which may result in nil meds goes against the ethos of where your profits come from.

Or to use an Americanism, turkeys don't usually vote for Christmas.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Scap my early question @Administrator

Scanning the thread again, I realise the interview was conducted in person.
My experience is in music. So a lot of mags tend to do it via email these days!

I have to admit though the artical does seem to come from the innovative business angle...even the photo shoot is a bit of a cliche..
I had a mate open a music studio a few years back & the local paper covered the event in a similar fashion.
Funny enough so was another successful web "marital aid" company distribution based in my home city of Bath too..!

Reactions: 2 people

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
The concept of this website & the information it provides is first class. Simple as that. I don't have a problem with how the site obtains its funding, as long as it is ethical & transparent. As for the misquote...well you aren't the first & you won't be the last, that's for sure.

What DOES concern me is the sweeping statements & narrow minded attitude demonstrated by a few members who have written about the comments in the paragraph below from @Administrator.

"At the DUK HCP conference this year, I (Arjun) sat next to a chap who was a key contributor to the NHS guidelines for diabetes. When I relayed all of the positives of low carb and the benefit to health, his response was 'Yes, but it effects quality of life'. On asking him to elaborate, he described how, at his practice, he had a number of patients who said that trying to follow a low carb diet was making them 'not enjoy' food - and it effected their mental health. I was amazed as I had never thought about this. Whilst that is a trivial example, it just goes to show that the old adage of 'different strokes for different folks' is appropriate."

I have made an informed decision & have exercised my right NOT to follow a LCHF diet. I do not force my dietary lifestyle on others. Nor do I expect them to force theirs on me. I will ALWAYS speak up for the right to choose, whatever that choice is, and no matter whether I agree with that choice or not. I am not a critic of LCHF...put simply, it works! And I followed it when diagnosed earlier this year to help me obtain tight control of my blood glucose. But, I hated it, and eating became a chore. And yes, as quoted above, I too did "not enjoy" food. I happen to believe that managing this disease is subjective & the effect of it upon my mental/emotional health is equally as important as my physical wellbeing. I consistently lose weight every week & have lost over 3.5 stone in 6 months by eating to my meter and controlling my portion size. I walk everywhere. I do not pig out on chip butties or other ****. What I do do is follow a healthy diet that suits me & makes me happy. Therefore, I do understand why people choose not to follow LCHF. So "different strokes for different folks" is indeed an appropriate adage. Let's face it...SOME people with diabetes will eat gluttonous amounts of whatever they want, regardless of its appropriateness or dietary advice. I suspect those people tend not to bother becoming members of forums like this. Again, whether I like their lifestyle choice or not...it is theirs to make. I respect the decision made by people on this forum who eat LCHF. So, please respect my decision also. Let's just get on with the business of managing our diabetes in the most effective way for ourselves as individuals. It's ok to be passionate about a specific dietary lifestyle without assuming those who don't follow it are somehow not right in the head. I wish all of us the very best of health. Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alisonjane10 My own comments were not aimed at anyone not following LCHF. I believe everyone should be given the choice to follow it if they want to do so. To be denied this simply because others don't like it is madness. You have tried it, it helped you initially, now you have changed your diet because LCHF is not for you. I don't have a problem with that at all. It's your choice, but for someone in the NHS to say that offering LCHF as a choice is a bad idea because it doesn't suit some people , so let's not offer it to anybody....well isn't that taking away the very choice that you say we all should have?

The chip butty comment was personal as I used to love them! ;)

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to hear from a diagnosed T2, who doesn't do LCHF, doesn't need meds and achieves normal, non-diabetic numbers. It would be a real help, especially when we are away from home, to have some detailed guidance in this area.
Meanwhile, back to our low-carb evening meal, because we don't know what else to do.
Sally

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
@Alisonjane10 My own comments were not aimed at anyone not following LCHF. I believe everyone should be given the choice to follow it if they want to do so. To be denied this simply because others don't like it is madness. You have tried it, it helped you initially, now you have changed your diet because LCHF is not for you. I don't have a problem with that at all. It's your choice, but for someone in the NHS to say that offering LCHF as a choice is a bad idea because it doesn't suit some people , so let's not offer it to anybody....well isn't that taking away the very choice that you say we all should have?

The chip butty comment was personal as I used to love them! ;)

That's a lovely response to my post @zand. Thank you. I was hoping not to be mauled by posters because of my opinion being "not Fashionable." So, I do appreciate your pro-choice, well expressed reply. I too miss a chip butty. :happy: I believe the post from @Administrator hi-lighted that the GP had stated their patients had tried LCHF but they became unhappy & began "not to enjoy" food. I can relate to that. As long as the information about LCHF is given as a choice for people with diabetes, then they can weigh up the available dietary information & decide the best way to manage their blood glucose for themselves. Sadly, I know diabetics aren't given such advice. I wasn't...and I was only diagnosed in late January. The tide is changing though. And I believe within the next 5 years, LCHF dietary advice will be given as the norm as an option to newly diagnosed diabetics. Best wishes. AJ. X

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's a lovely response to my post @zand. Thank you. I was hoping not to be mauled by posters because of my opinion being "not Fashionable." So, I do appreciate your pro-choice, well expressed reply. I too miss a chip butty. :happy: I believe the post from @Administrator hi-lighted that the GP had stated their patients had tried LCHF but they became unhappy & began "not to enjoy" food. I can relate to that. As long as the information about LCHF is given as a choice for people with diabetes, then they can decide which way to manage their blood glucose is best for them. Sadly, I know diabetics aren't given such advice. I wasn't...and I was only diagnosed in late January. The tide is changing though. And I believe within the next 5 years, LCHF dietary advice will be given as an option to newly diagnosed diabetics. Best wishes. AJ. X
I felt exactly the same when I discovered the Taylor et al Newcastle Diet information for myself. Newly diagnosed are not given relevant information. All I got was a prescription for Metformin and a photocopy of the Eatwell plate. The one size fits all does not work. For some people, the need to 'enjoy ' food means they want to continue eating what some of us regard as junk.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd love to hear from a diagnosed T2, who doesn't do LCHF, doesn't need meds and achieves normal, non-diabetic numbers. It would be a real help, especially when we are away from home, to have some detailed guidance in this area.
Meanwhile, back to our low-carb evening meal, because we don't know what else to do.
Sally
Andrew Colvin post #29, this thread any use?
Others, including myself, having succeeded with Newcastle Diet, now though I tend towards Low Carb, rather than LCHF.

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sally

Hi @sally and james. You'll certainly get much more food & dietary advice/tips/information looking at the Food & Nutrition section of the forum. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/food-nutrition-and-recipes.3/ It can be really overwhelming, mentally exhausting, worrying & wondering about what to eat all of the time. It doesn't need to be like that. If LCHF isn't for you & you want to regain control of your blood glucose levels, then you're gonna have to explore your options and adapt your diet. This might help you with the basics: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet-basics.html Good luck Sally. And, don't be afraid to post your own thread asking questions. People on here want to help. Best wishes. X