From the engine room ...

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd love to hear from a diagnosed T2, who doesn't do LCHF, doesn't need meds and achieves normal, non-diabetic numbers. It would be a real help, especially when we are away from home, to have some detailed guidance in this area.
Meanwhile, back to our low-carb evening meal, because we don't know what else to do.
Sally
Me too :)

Reactions: 4 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can understand from all aspects of how different everybody is and have said numerous times that everyone is unique within the metabolic condition that has insulin and blood glucose problems....
For instance I have RH. And carbs and sugars would make me very ill!
The wife has type 2 and because she has got her blood glucose levels under control, she can easily cope with some low GI carbs.
The daughter has hashimotos. She has reduced her carbs and is feeling better for it!
The father in law, has t2 diabetes amongst many other complications and has a tendency to have a likeness for alcohol! He won't have anything to do with diets or reducing sugars, he won't be persuaded to change to better foods, he eats and drinks what he likes, when he likes as much as he likes and he does not worry or care about it!
His fasting was 8.2 and midday was 6.8! Go figure!
He has been on diabetic meds for nearly 25 years!

Different strokes for different folks!

Reactions: 7 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/gps-give-medical-advice-havent-9766465

Go on Giverny, give us a wave! :)

So we're all guinea pigs for the pharmaceutical industry then:

One of the ways the website makes money is by charging to put organisations such as pharmaceutical companies doing medical trials in touch with forum members who have diabetes.

As a low carbing non-medicated T2 I suppose I won't be getting ahy corporate hospitality invites in the foreseeable future then :(

How wonderful to see you all .. Yes this site works because it is privately funded, the other option ... Gov funding would mean a lot more censorship.. I think any diet advice that strayed away from the eat well plate would be moderated away.

infact I feel a lot more comfortable now knowing that the pharmaceutical companies are paying. I am a willing guinea pig for LCHF way of eating .. I love my new way of eating, and it seems to love me.

Hope you win the award.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The concept of this website & the information it provides is first class. Simple as that. I don't have a problem with how the site obtains its funding, as long as it is ethical & transparent. As for the misquote...well you aren't the first & you won't be the last, that's for sure.

What DOES concern me is the sweeping statements & narrow minded attitude demonstrated by a few members who have written about the comments in the paragraph below from @Administrator.

"At the DUK HCP conference this year, I (Arjun) sat next to a chap who was a key contributor to the NHS guidelines for diabetes. When I relayed all of the positives of low carb and the benefit to health, his response was 'Yes, but it effects quality of life'. On asking him to elaborate, he described how, at his practice, he had a number of patients who said that trying to follow a low carb diet was making them 'not enjoy' food - and it effected their mental health. I was amazed as I had never thought about this. Whilst that is a trivial example, it just goes to show that the old adage of 'different strokes for different folks' is appropriate."

I have made an informed decision & have exercised my right NOT to follow a LCHF diet. I do not force my dietary lifestyle on others. Nor do I expect them to force theirs on me. I will ALWAYS speak up for the right to choose, whatever that choice is, and no matter whether I agree with that choice or not. I am not a critic of LCHF...put simply, it works! And I followed it when diagnosed earlier this year to help me obtain tight control of my blood glucose. But, I hated it, and eating became a chore. And yes, as quoted above, I too did "not enjoy" food. I happen to believe that managing this disease is subjective & the effect of it upon my mental/emotional health is equally as important as my physical wellbeing. I consistently lose weight every week & have lost over 3.5 stone in 6 months by eating to my meter and controlling my portion size. I walk everywhere. I do not pig out on chip butties or other ****. What I do do is follow a healthy diet that suits me & makes me happy. Therefore, I do understand why people choose not to follow LCHF. So "different strokes for different folks" is indeed an appropriate adage. Let's face it...SOME people with diabetes will eat gluttonous amounts of whatever they want, regardless of its appropriateness or dietary advice. I suspect those people tend not to bother becoming members of forums like this. Again, whether I like their lifestyle choice or not...it is theirs to make. I respect the decision made by people on this forum who eat LCHF. So, please respect my decision also. Let's just get on with the business of managing our diabetes in the most effective way for ourselves as individuals. It's ok to be passionate about a specific dietary lifestyle without assuming those who don't follow it are somehow not right in the head. I wish all of us the very best of health. Best wishes.

I agree with your comments about diet. I think there are many type 2s who choose meds and carbs over low carb. And there are others who choose to lose weight and hope for reversal. And others who do low GI... Nothing wrong with any of those choices, if they know the consequences and are willing to live with them.

Only a couple of weeks ago i talked to a colleague who said that 'i couldn't eat like that (lchf) i just want to eat what i want.'

I totally disagree with her choice, but i wouldn't dream of denying her the choice by guilting her, or pressuring her.

Reactions: 8 people

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @sally and james. You'll certainly get much more food & dietary advice/tips/information looking at the Food & Nutrition section of the forum. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/food-nutrition-and-recipes.3/ It can be really overwhelming, mentally exhausting, worrying & wondering about what to eat all of the time. It doesn't need to be like that. If LCHF isn't for you & you want to regain control of your blood glucose levels, then you're gonna have to explore your options and adapt your diet. This might help you with the basics: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet-basics.html Good luck Sally. And, don't be afraid to post your own thread asking questions. People on here want to help. Best wishes. X

Thank you for your generous comments, but we don't need advice to control and reverse diabetes, we've done that already, for the last two years, with LCHF. I have no problem deciding what to eat and provide us with a varied and exciting diet, which is a pleasure to source, cook and eat. LCHF is very definitely for us, it's improved our lives beyond all hopes and recognition. But when we travel, sometimes it is difficult avoiding the carbs, on planes, ships, in countries where hygiene standards are lower than the UK and you just want something in a packet. I would like to know how those of you who achieve normal blood sugar levels, take no meds and yet do not do low carb actually manage it. What is the secret? Please tell.
Sally

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would like to know how those of you who achieve normal blood sugar levels, take no meds and yet do not do low carb actually manage it. What is the secret? Please tell.
Sally

loss of 84+ pounds in weight!

Reactions: 8 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I wouldn't disappear, but the only way I have managed to lose any weight at all is with LCHF. :rolleyes: Low cal just made my metabolism slower. Not helpful for me.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well I wouldn't disappear, but the only way I have managed to lose any weight at all is with LCHF. :rolleyes: Low cal just made my metabolism slower. Not helpful for me.
Steady on @zand this and other posts seems to confirm the adage different strokes for different folks, then.
:D

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
Thank you for your generous comments, but we don't need advice to control and reverse diabetes, we've done that already, for the last two years, with LCHF. I have no problem deciding what to eat and provide us with a varied and exciting diet, which is a pleasure to source, cook and eat. LCHF is very definitely for us, it's improved our lives beyond all hopes and recognition. But when we travel, sometimes it is difficult avoiding the carbs, on planes, ships, in countries where hygiene standards are lower than the UK and you just want something in a packet. I would like to know how those of you who achieve normal blood sugar levels, take no meds and yet do not do low carb actually manage it. What is the secret? Please tell.
Sally

Hi @sally and james.

Please accept my apology. I totally misunderstood your question & I expect you think I'm a cheeky, patronising mare. :oops: My intention was honourable. I am in the process of extracting my foot from my oral orifice. ;) Perhaps the following thread will throw up some ideas.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/help-with-planning-meals-for-a-long-days-travel.60845/ Best wishes. AJ. X