From time to time, my blood sugar levels go through uncontrollable 'high periods'.

I'm 17 and am approaching my 2 year diagnosis anniversary. For the most part, I find that managing my type 1 diabetes is relatively simple, and so long as I follow the formula, my blood glucose level is usually within range, and very rarely high. However, from time to time, I sometimes get 'high periods' during which my blood sugar level seems to be consistently high, no matter what I do. My regime does not change whatsoever. These can last anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. During these times, my level can be anywhere from 12mmol upwards... climbing quickly even when I haven't eaten recently. I've been told that this could be happening when my immune system is fighting something... but I don't always feel otherwise 'ill' during these times. It seems to be happening more regularly than ever, and it's really affecting my energy levels, and therefore, my ability to get things done. Any advice or suggestions would be deeply appreciated. Thank you!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @TheAppleCircuit,
I was diagnosed with TID many years ago at age 13. Over the next 5 years plus i had to deal with a roller coaster of BSLs.
What my endocrinologist and GP explained to me was that i was growing and that this occurs in ' growth spurts'.
So as the hormones responsible for each spurt cranked up my bsls would rise since the growth hormones made me less sensitive to insulin.
As a consequence my insulin doses needed to increase sometimes to double or more. Then after maybe 2 to 3 weeks the hypos woukd start and i knew i had to cut back insulin doses as this was a sign the growth spurt was over.
I developed a routine based on the first of these experiences so that i was not too cautious and thus i increased insulin doses quickly to meet the spurt and just as quickly eased off.
I also made sure i ate plenty of protein during these spurts as this did not affect my bsls so much as increasing carbs would do.
Yes, the occasional virus infection coukd play havoc with bsls too but there were the symptoms to gonwith that and following a sick day plan worked out with my doctors ( no DSNs back then ) woukd help, but as expected did involve putting insulin doses up for maybe 7 days, shorter time period than for growth spurts.
Please ask your health team about growth spurts and ask their advice.
Best Wishes:):):)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
When these highs happen do you change the way that you respond to them e.g with correction doses or do you carry on in the same routine?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like very sound advice from @kitedoc as you are definitely in that age range for growth spurts. A good medical team should address this with you.

Reactions: TheAppleCircuit

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @TheAppleCircuit :)

What support do you get from your diabetes team ? If your not doing so already it would be good to keep a diary of your blood glucose readings, insulin taken, carbs eaten, it's useful to keep a diary to look for patterns with readings and it helps your team to understand what's going on too.

Hi @TheAppleCircuit,
I was diagnosed with TID many years ago at age 13. Over the next 5 years plus i had to deal with a roller coaster of BSLs.
What my endocrinologist and GP explained to me was that i was growing and that this occurs in ' growth spurts'.
So as the hormones responsible for each spurt cranked up my bsls would rise since the growth hormones made me less sensitive to insulin.
As a consequence my insulin doses needed to increase sometimes to double or more. Then after maybe 2 to 3 weeks the hypos woukd start and i knew i had to cut back insulin doses as this was a sign the growth spurt was over.
I developed a routine based on the first of these experiences so that i was not too cautious and thus i increased insulin doses quickly to meet the spurt and just as quickly eased off.
I also made sure i ate plenty of protein during these spurts as this did not affect my bsls so much as increasing carbs would do.
Yes, the occasional virus infection coukd play havoc with bsls too but there were the symptoms to gonwith that and following a sick day plan worked out with my doctors ( no DSNs back then ) woukd help, but as expected did involve putting insulin doses up for maybe 7 days, shorter time period than for growth spurts.
Please ask your health team about growth spurts and ask their advice.
Best Wishes:):):)
Thank you for the advice... that definitely sounds plausible. I will enquire about this with my GP.

Hello and welcome @TheAppleCircuit :)

What support do you get from your diabetes team ? If your not doing so already it would be good to keep a diary of your blood glucose readings, insulin taken, carbs eaten, it's useful to keep a diary to look for patterns with readings and it helps your team to understand what's going on too.
My diabetes team is very happy with my readings for the most part, they haven’t said too much about the high episodes.

When these highs happen do you change the way that you respond to them e.g with correction doses or do you carry on in the same routine?
Yes, I increase insulin doses with the ratios I’ve been given by my diabetes team. Even then, my blood sugar level seems to stay high. I gradually increase extra doses until the readings become more normal, but this brings the risk of hypos. Very difficult to balance.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @TheAppleCircuit When do you get these high's so how long after eating and how long do they last ?

Hello @TheAppleCircuit When do you get these high's so how long after eating and how long do they last ?
By practise I check my BG first 2 hours after each meal and it tends to climb from there until I take my insulin for my next meal, so several hours. Just yesterday my BG climbed from 12 to 18mmol in less than an hour, about 4 hours since my last meal. It seems very random and I haven’t been able to identify a pattern or root cause...

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
If I see mine continues to rise I would pop in half - 1u earlier than the next meal.
Are you using any tech or just finger pricking to stay on top of this?

Reactions: Knikki