Frothy urine / foamy urine

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi ,

I have recently started getting Frothy urine / foamy urine...has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Reactions: KetoAnnie

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ,

I have recently started getting Frothy urine / foamy urine...has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
I've experienced frothy urine every once in a while, but if you pass persistently frothy urine most of the time, you should seek a medical opinion.

Reactions: KetoAnnie

KetoAnnie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do and I've found it's when my blood ketones measure close to or higher than my glucose.

At the moment I'm testing around 4 - 5 glucose over the course of the day and ketones between 1 and 2. Nutritional ketosis. But if I reduce carbs enough, under 10 - 15 g total per day, my ketones and glucose both tend to move to levels around 3.5 and 4. If the ketone level gets equal to or greater than the glucose number I get frothy urine.

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do and I've found it's when my blood ketones measure close to or higher than my glucose.

At the moment I'm testing around 4 - 5 glucose over the course of the day and ketones between 1 and 2. Nutritional ketosis. But if I reduce carbs enough, under 10 - 15 g total per day, my ketones and glucose both tend to move to levels around 3.5 and 4. If the ketone level gets equal to or greater than the glucose number I get frothy urine.
That's very interesting..

And when you eat carbs its fine?

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
If I have a pee and it starts to froth I can almost guarantee when I test my blood sugar will be high , must be sugar in my water !

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

Jakeinhd1995

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I have a pee and it starts to froth I can almost guarantee when I test my blood sugar will be high , must be sugar in my water !
See my blood sugar is in normal ranges to be ho est but that's because of low carb...

Ashybang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had high levels bilirubin and protein in Urine from liver and kidney issues.
My pee was like it had fairy liquid in it.
VERY bubbly and foamy

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
See my blood sugar is in normal ranges to be ho est but that's because of low carb...
How often do you test or do you use a cgm , it could be going high between toilet visits !

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ,

Thanks

I thought I was having this happen at one point, along with the smell of matchsticks now and then but I think it was just bubbling up from the agitation of the water after a fierce morning wee and a dodgy flush that looked like it had flushed but don't think had completely after the previous person and the slight residue was mixing. It didn't seem to happen in the downstairs toilet either so I was suspicious.

I had an unelated urine test that week that came back apparently normal (unless something was missed, or wasn't looking for everything that could cause that, no idea) but with all that in mind I tested out going for a 'pie & mash' the next morning at less of a height into a container and there were no bubbles or smell.

That's me though, by no means discount your own situation.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Isn't low carb bad for your kidneys and other organs anyway??
Dr David Unwin checked his low Carb patients (over 100 of them) in order to put this myth to bed. None of them had any deterioration in Kidney function, most had improved function and even those with no change were doing better on Low Carb because Kidney Function deteriorates with age.

Rushkami

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi ,

Thanks
I have that off and on, there is protein in my urine that I was told either comes from high blood pressure (mine is borderline) or from leaky kidneys so they are just keeping an eye at the minute to see how it goes. Definitely get it checked, it could be nothing at all but get it nipped in the bud incase it is.

Reactions: Jakeinhd1995