Fructose

Spiral

I have tried Splenda and wasn't that impressed with it. Apart from that, some people have refused to consume food with artificial sweetner in it. I'm planning to give my box of Splenda to my brother, who does use it.

I plan to have a brief dalliance with xylitol, just to try it, but I suspect that will go the same way.

I have never had that much of a sweet tooth, but since I cut out sugar I've found that it has gone even further :D However, I like to bake and I'm experiementing with low carb sweet treats and I'm considering using either fructose in small quantities or concentrated apple juice to sweeten things.

I have used a small quantity of cloudy apple juice to sweeten my porridge on the occasions I have that.

What do the bakers on here do? I'd like to be able to bake for people who refuse any kind of artificial sweetner, inculding a cancer survivor, a food intolerance person and my own reluctance to use sweeteners - I usually used molasses or muscavado sugars in the days pre-diagnosis when I used to bake cakes.

I have found a nice low carb chocolate cake recipe using only the sugar in 70% chocolate and a peanut butter cheesecake recipe that used Splenda, I used about half the suggested qualtity.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
In many recipes, sugar isn't an essential to the structure, so you can leave it out and let people add what they like. If it's a plain sponge cake, you can provide a lemon drizzle sauce made from lemon juice and icing sugar for those that want it. Or be ceative with plain cake and sauces. I can think of a few options. I think a SMALL amount of fructose( which is Much sweeter than table sugar)every now and again would be Ok, but i's not really good to use it regularly.
Hana