1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

fruit and root veg? Oat bran? what to eat?

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Fighterofprediabetes, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Fighterofprediabetes

Hello everyone. My doctor has said I am prediabetic; Hba1c level 47. fasting blood glucose 6.6. She wants to do repeat blood tests in 3 months. I am 79kg and 5 foot 5. So trying to lose weight too. And cholestorol also too high.
    I have always tried to have a good mixture of fruit and veg, but would I be best having no fruit at all.. for example today I have had a plum. a pear and half an apple!

I had also been making myself cheap simple soup with carrot and onion but are all root veg to be avoided?

Am having cabbage broccoli and curly kale as veg but I would much prefer peas, carrots onion parsnip... ! are all root veg really bad?

I am a cheese lover so need to cut out a lot of that to help with cholestorol. Was eating oat bran, as I thought this would help cholestorol , and gives fibre, but maybe that has too many carbs??Have already cut out bread and having tiny portions of potato and the like. and no cake or biscuits needless to say. And not having breakfast cereal. In view of need to reduce cholestoral how many eggs a week could I have. I do like nuts but they are high in calories too. So what is it best to fill up on?

I would be grateful for any advice and encouragement please as I really would like to halt my progression into type 2 diabetes. And by the way I have watched several programs from Michael Mosley who advocates quick weight loss with very restricted calories. I know for sure I could not stick to that, hence asking for advice. Thank you !

2. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Hello and welcome. This link has lots of basic and helpful information for you: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Quick reply

1. Dump the fruit, full of sugars ...
    2. More eggs the better.
    3. Cheese no problems
    4. No brans / cereals of ANY type ... full of carbs
    5. Fish and meats and chicken fine
    6. Root veg problematic at best
    7. More high fats

CARBS / SUGARS (same thing effectively) are the problem, NOT cholesterol.

8. Get a meter to test your bloods. Pronto ... you're dancing dangerously on the edge of being diabetic and once you're there, no way to return to "normal"

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    #3 Mike d, Apr 6, 2021 at 11:50 PM
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi and welcome,

what is the carb content of the oat bran you are using?

I have seen some that is basically just fibre, with very little blood glucose impact, with all the carby stuff removed, and I’ve seen stuff like Allbran which has added sugar and rubbish which would impact blood glucose.

getting a blood glucose meter and checking out your foods and overall meals will enable you to tailor your intake to suit your body.

5. Omar51

Omar51 · Member

I like every thing what Mike D wrote, personally I have been following almost same diet for long time and I take no medicine, I am pre diabetic.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fighterofprediabetes

thank you for the replies I have received. still working out how this forum works. need to get meter soon then!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Donought

Donought · Active Member

I always say a CGM such as libre freestyle is best as it gives 14 days worth of readings 24/7. Expensive but worth it. Can use your phone as the reader so no need to buy one of those. I also found Ben Bikman, his books, podcasts, website etc to be really useful to give an understanding of what is happening in your body. Personally I find knowing how the carbs etc affect my body helps me to avoid them. Good luck with it all, it can be quite daunting but you CAN get your blood sugar/ insulin down.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Fighterofprediabetes

Thank you for your comments. have just looked at the libre, I am now retired so need to be aware of costs but doing nothing is not an option! Might be worth getting a libre as you say as it would give good indication to a newbie like me as to the direct effect of certain foods. I had never heard of Ben Bikman before; thank you I have found several articles and you tube videos so will look at those later. Thank you for taking the time to reply and pointing me to good advice

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fighterofprediabetes

thank you; i bave used all the oat bran now so dont have the packet; was mainly using to increase fibre intake and hopefully reduced cholesterol but for the moment I am going to concentrate on reducing carbs. Thank you for your comments. There is a lot of advice to read!

10. Fighterofprediabetes

Thanks a lot for your specific comments. I am going to reduce carbs considerably and also for the moment avoid fruit. I am not a great lover of green veg and normally prefer say carrots onions parsnip. But yesterday I had a good portion of broccoli and also curly kale, I don't like luke warm veg so made sure I served these hot and ate them before they had chance to become cold! Meter for testing will be delivered tomorrow and i may even get a libre as someone else suggested even if just for 14 days while i assess affect of certain foods. thanks again

11. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

I will rest on my comments .... best of luck :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Rocinante

Rocinante · Well-Known Member

Refer to Mike's post above.

Best to kill carbs and fruit completely. 47 is dangerously close to diabetes as has been pointed out. You probably don't have much time to remediate the situation.

Welcome to monk's life (if you want to get this under control).

13. lessci

lessci Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Abbots are doing a free trial of the Libre 2 if you're in the UK, you have to answer a couple of questions about Diabetes , and download the libre link to a smartphone

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Fighterofprediabetes

Thanks a lot I will try phoning them tomorrow.. yes I am in the UK!!

15. Rach612

Rach612 Other · Well-Known Member

How are you getting on? Is the GP going to repeat your HBA1c test? Really hope you’ve managed to get your number down.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fighterofprediabetes

Hello it is kind of you to ask. Indeed I will be having a repeat HBA1c test in June so really hope there will be a noticeable difference. Am testing with a meter at the moment. Drastically reduced carbs and virtually eliminated fruit at least for the moment. Am avoiding any high readings and for the moment I am not taking too much notice of the "fasting" reading BUT what concerns me possibly is that even after meals, 2 to 3 hours after my reading will be something like 6.2 6.3 6.4. 6.5 So that seems to be my "base" low. :( Having said that I have lost nearly 5kg weight in about 5 weeks :)so hoping that weight loss will result in change to blood sugar levels soon. ?? Any idea how soon I should see reduction in HBA1c after weight loss?) Enjoying bacon and egg for breakfast. for the moment concentrating on blood sugar level and not cholesterol level. Thank you again for following up me.. it is really nice to know that there are folks like you who are sufficiently interested in a total stranger to offer support and advice . Further comments most welcome!

17. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

that is well within the normal range. What is your number before eating? The important bit is that the gap between before and 2 hours after is 2 or less points.

18. Rach612

Rach612 Other · Well-Known Member

Well at least that gives you some time to get your numbers down. Cutting out fruit is good as it’s full of fructose, some people can tolerate a small amount of berries but like others have said you are very close to the wire to be risking it. Your numbers don’t seem too bad after meals but you could have missed a spike. Did you ever get a Libre in the end? I would try to minimise time sitting down, when I sit I can see my numbers go up with a CGM. If you are sitting try to get up and move at least every half an hour. Also exercise lowers blood sugars (in general) sometimes there may be a small spike but it decreases insulin resistance I think. So even if it’s just a half an hour brisk walk it’s better than nothing. Walking and aerobics is all I do. That’s very good weight loss, well done. I can’t really say when you’ll see a reduction in your blood sugars, it depends on multiple factors, what you are eating, exercise, sleep and stress. Lack of sleep increases insulin resistance and stress is terrible for blood sugars. Did you have any symptoms before your diagnoses if you don’t mind me asking? Intermittent fasting is good especially if you have weight to loose but if you have high numbers in the am I wouldn’t advice skipping breakfast or sleeping in as you don’t want your number sitting high for long periods before you bring it down by eating as that will show on your HBA1c.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook