Fruit - good or bad...?

P

Peter_Sylvester

I have made good progress in the last 12 months towards REVERSING my T2 diabetes. At my last review in June, the Doc reviewed my meds, and was able to take me off one of my tablets (Gliclazide).
So I am now moving to my next level, and I have changed my diet to increase my FRUIT intake. But, of course, although I am losing weight and body fat, that seems to be spiking my glucose readings.
Any suggestions or views please..?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Decruz

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Unless there's some specific reason why you need to add fruit, I would suggest avoiding it. If it's for calorie control, you could eat green leaf vegetables instead of fruit. If you must eat fruit, I suppose berries are best, and tropical fruit (pineapple etc) is probably the worst. Maybe you could have blueberries with plain yogurt to offset the spike a little.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fruit can be very difficult for us, not just because it raises blood glucose levels (which it does) but also because the fructose content often leads to fatty livers, and fatty livers are what we need to get rid of.

Berries such as strawberries and raspberries are the best choices, but only in moderation (I stick to a maximum of 4 strawberries and only once a week) If you must eat fruit, it is better to eat it as part of a meal with cream or yogurt, and never as a stand-alone snack as this will help with the raised glucose levels, but not the fatty liver.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/fructose-fatty-liver-sugar-toxin

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Since diagnosis, I have largely avoided fruit, which is a big deal since I love it!

The exceptions: a very small quantity of banana, and berries, with breakfast (watch out with the bananas, they are almost pure sugar). Plus, a half-lemon squeezed into fizzy mineral water with lunch.

Reactions: Peter_Sylvester
P

Peter_Sylvester

Unless there's some specific reason why you need to add fruit, I would suggest avoiding it. If it's for calorie control, you could eat green leaf vegetables instead of fruit. If you must eat fruit, I suppose berries are best, and tropical fruit (pineapple etc) is probably the worst. Maybe you could have blueberries with plain yogurt to offset the spike a little.
Thanks for the advice - It sounds like I need to do another food review..!

Reactions: OrsonKartt
P

Peter_Sylvester

Fruit can be very difficult for us, not just because it raises blood glucose levels (which it does) but also because the fructose content often leads to fatty livers, and fatty livers are what we need to get rid of.

Berries such as strawberries and raspberries are the best choices, but only in moderation (I stick to a maximum of 4 strawberries and only once a week) If you must eat fruit, it is better to eat it as part of a meal with cream or yogurt, and never as a stand-alone snack as this will help with the raised glucose levels, but not the fatty liver.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/fructose-fatty-liver-sugar-toxin
WOW - thank you..!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I was just trying to continue my weight loss - but it sounds like I may have made a wrong choice....
We live and learn. I thought you may have been a little concerned about vitamins and minerals which we can get a plenty supply of from our veggies. Keep up the great work!

P

Peter_Sylvester

We live and learn. I thought you may have been a little concerned about vitamins and minerals which we can get a plenty supply of from our veggies. Keep up the great work!
Thank you - I appreciate your feedback

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK - so I obviously need to do more research, and I have found this article (link below) which may be helpful for others on this group...

The conversation with my Doc next week should be interesting, and can I say a big THANK YOU to all those who have offered their advice - I will blend it in to my "next steps" solution.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...betes/diabetes-food-myths/myth-fruit-diabetes

Thank you...

That is completely appalling advice for a Type 2.. like so much of diabetes.org.uk

• 1 tablespoon of dried fruits
  • a medium size apple, pear or banana
would have my blood sugars through the roof..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK - so I obviously need to do more research, and I have found this article (link below) which may be helpful for others on this group...

The conversation with my Doc next week should be interesting, and can I say a big THANK YOU to all those who have offered their advice - I will blend it in to my "next steps" solution.

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-t...betes/diabetes-food-myths/myth-fruit-diabetes

Thank you...

Yes, agreed with @bulkbiker For T2s not on strong medication or insulin this is not good advice. It doesn't even talk about fructose and how it affects our livers making our already fatty livers worse, therefore making insulin resistance worse. The advice goes on to suggest bananas are a good breakfast when bananas are the worst fruit possible for us.

If you want to do some research yourself there is plenty of evidence if you Google "fructose and fatty liver"

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A few raspberries a week in full fat yogurt is ok as is blueberries.
Bananas are like Mars bars with a yellow wrapping,ok very nice but they spike me very quickly but drop very quickly too.Kiwi is just ok with me but as a treat to regain a little sugar after hard exercise.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn

Thank you...

Get your answers here ... and never not from that site. Pack of idiots

Reactions: Peter_Sylvester

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
It is quite nice to put a few Raspberries, Strawberries , Blueberries, advocado or Rhubarb if you know they will not spike you in anyway ?
You can get these frozen from most supermarkets well maybe not Rhubarb and advocado ? Add some to sugar free Jelly and top with cream or just have with added cream.