Fruits ending in berry

Saur

Hi all,
I am lover of all fruits and really struggling to give some of them up. I have been reading that most fruits that end in the word berry are ok. Is this correct?
For someone like myself with a sweet tooth, I have tried to cut back on most surgery things, exceptional circumstances being parties & birthdays.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Strawberries and raspberries are the best choices, but in small quantities and taken as part of a meal with double cream or full fat yogurt rather than as a snack. However, you need to experiment with your meter and test them out. Some people eat blueberries, but they have more carbs.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
From dietdoctor.com:
Screenshot 2019-08-01 at 09.51.32.png

Reactions: Redshank

Saur

Strawberries and raspberries are the best choices, but in small quantities and taken as part of a meal with double cream or full fat yogurt rather than as a snack. However, you need to experiment with your meter and test them out. Some people eat blueberries, but they have more carbs.
Thankyou

Reactions: Prem51

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like your title, which is a precise definition of the ok fruits. For those that don't know, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are technically not berries but aggregate fruits. On the other hand, bananas and grapes are berries but not recommended for low carb eating. Blueberries are one of the few fruits that are berries and also have berries in their name. I need to get out more. :)

Reactions: DianaMC and Prem51

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I also eat small amounts of rhubarb, blackcurrents and gooseberries, sweetened with stevia. Nice with a real egg custard or Greek yogurt.
And I make rhubarb crumble with a ground almond topping instead of flour.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blueberries are rather variable in carb content - the ones I have found frozen in supermarkets are no higher than strawberries, though I have to watch the strawberries these days as there are 'supersweet' ones being bred. Not only is the sugar content raised, the flavour is almost nonexistent.

Reactions: joss.t2 and DianaMC

Saur

Blueberries are rather variable in carb content - the ones I have found frozen in supermarkets are no higher than strawberries, though I have to watch the strawberries these days as there are 'supersweet' ones being bred. Not only is the sugar content raised, the flavour is almost nonexistent.
Thankyou

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like your title, which is a precise definition of the ok fruits. For those that don't know, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are technically not berries but aggregate fruits. On the other hand, bananas and grapes are berries but not recommended for low carb eating. Blueberries are one of the few fruits that are berries and also have berries in their name. I need to get out more. :)
Avocados are botanically berries too. And they are recommended for low carb eating.
I might need to get out more too.

Saur

Avocados are botanically berries too. And they are recommended for low carb eating.
I might need to get out more too.
I never touched Avocades all my life, didn’t like the taste. I have started eating it & getting my husband to eat too.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never touched Avocades all my life, didn’t like the taste. I have started eating it & getting my husband to eat too.
Same here @Saur.

I eat for the fat content.
Quite enjoy with scrambled eggs,
Been known to cut one half up and put on my breakfast plate and into salads.
Missus always liked, but for me.. :***:

My palate has either changed OR I'm now more willing to suffer that first taste, and give more food a fair chance before rejecting.

(Probably a good bit of both I suspect)

Last edited:

Saur

Same here @Saur.

I eat for the fat content.
Quite enjoy with scrambled eggs,
Been known to cut one half up and put on my breakfast plate and into salads.
Missus airways liked, but for me.. :***:

My palate has either changed OR I'm now more willing to suffer that first taste, and give more food a fair chance before rejecting.

(Probably a good bit of both I suspect)
Been known to cut one half up and put on my breakfast plate and into salads. Good idea.

Reactions: Prem51 and jjraak

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I make my own style of guacamole with an avocado, Greek yoghurt, a little bit of chilli and seasoning. Or chop them up in salads. Has anyone else found strawberries rather disappointing this year? I eat very few, but the ones I've had have all been rather flavourless!

Reactions: 1spuds and Prem51

Saur

I make my own style of guacamole with an avocado, Greek yoghurt, a little bit of chilli and seasoning. Or chop them up in salads. Has anyone else found strawberries rather disappointing this year? I eat very few, but the ones I've had have all been rather flavourless!
I just put salt & pepper on the avocado, otherwise finding it very difficult to eat. Strawberries are disappointing this year.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I just put salt & pepper on the avocado, otherwise finding it very difficult to eat. Strawberries are disappointing this year.
I like to add a little marmite to my avocado sometimes. A friend adds chilli sauce to hers.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tasted some before I realized they were labelled 'supersweet' and I found they had no flavour at all. It was someone doing a survey in a supermarket, and I said that I would never buy them because of the sugar content. As I was buying cream I noticed that the surveyor was putting marks on her clipboard for anyone who liked them - she did not do that when I spoke to her.

Saur

I tasted some before I realized they were labelled 'supersweet' and I found they had no flavour at all. It was someone doing a survey in a supermarket, and I said that I would never buy them because of the sugar content. As I was buying cream I noticed that the surveyor was putting marks on her clipboard for anyone who liked them - she did not do that when I spoke to her.