Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Is there any benefits.

This surely cant be good for you, as you will miss out on vitamins and Macros.

I do low carb and pretty much only get my carbs through vegetables and salad.

There is a few people who had great results, with it. Does not cause other problems down the line though.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a few people who had great results, with it. Does not cause other problems down the line though.

Been going for a couple of years .. no problems so far.

Not completely carnivorous but the vast majority of my food is animal based. Prob about 95% of my daily intake in calorie terms depending on level of strictness.

Edit to add just been back through my food diaries.. looks like I gave up veg in mid 2018.. so getting on for 4 years ago!

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy_Warlow

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like any way of eating, it is possible to eat both healthily and unhealthily under an umbrella label such as 'plant based' or 'carnivore'.
A diet of processed meats 24/7/365 is not going to be anywhere near as healthy as one of muscle and organ, with range and variety, though there are people out there who have eaten ribeye steak 2 or 3 times a day for decades, and are in fantastic health.

My own experience of 3 years or carnivore is that yes, it can be very good for me, and carried a range of benefits.
I have malabsorption issues, and need to supplement some mins and vits because I don't absorb enough of them whatever diet I am on, so I will always need to supplement no matter what I am eating (folate, B12, vit D3 and manganese seem to be the worst). The same does not apply to other ppl.
In addition, many, many ppl on omnivorous diets need to supplement, including anyone on an only veg (vegan) diet. So the supplement discussion is obsolete. Especially the Vit C question. A quick google will establish that without carbs in the diet, the requirement for Vit C plummets and different chemical pathways are triggered, making Vit C in the diet either unnecessary, or easily fulfilled by liver, muscle meat or roe.

There are incredible superfoods such as fish roe and chicken, ox, pig and liver, brawn and kidney, which offer better nutrition than anything in the plant world. So no need for veg in that respect. Various carnivore websites examine this info in detail, if you go looking for it.

The reason I gave up on veg was because the fibre was doing terrible things to me. So no, my body does better on zero or very little fibre than the highly questionable orthodox advice on recommended fibre intake.

There is a huge (and growing) community of carnivores across the world, from top performing athletes to those who adopt the way of life to avoid a specific health condition (such as arthritis, or in my case gut issues). Again, Google will find facebook and individual websites, podcasts, and blogs showing just how successful carnivore can be.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there

Yes, about 95% carnivore (more at the moment) here. As Brunneria says, there are healthy and unhealthy ways of following any particular way of eating. However there are no vitamins and minerals available in plant foods that are not available from animal based sources. The key is to ensure a variety of foods.

For me Carnivore helps on a number of levels. Firstly it helps me to maintain my blood glucose in a very steady pattern, secondly to feel satiated more easily (and therefore reduce cravings and addiction behaviours to which I am prone) and finally it really assists with my arthritis and joint pains, which are hugely reduced when minimising plant foods.

The website of Dr Shawn Baker is a good starting point for more information: https://meatrx.com/

Last edited:

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I tried, I like most of the ideas, couldn’t give up the non carnivore foods I love. I do think it’s a valid path if you can handle such a restricted diet.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do think it’s a valid path if you can handle such a restricted diet.

I find the whole concept of restriction/denial really fascinating.

For me, carnivore doesn’t feel restrictive at all. Quite the opposite. Having gravitated there almost imperceptibly, the changes to the way in which I eat have been transformative. It’s a mindset thing and one which requires only the realisation that I can eat anything I want. I simply choose not to.

When I vere off the path there might be some short term gratification, but it’s very soon replaced by far stronger negative feelings and bodily responses.

That’s not to disparage or play down those who feel differently, just a reflection of how things are for me.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My food enjoyment is more than just taste.
I enjoy textures and my food has to look attractive.

I see a lot of discussion about "brown carbs".
How do carnivores manage their "brown protein" in terms of making their plates look attractive when it only contains meat?
And what about different textures? What do you use for crunch? Do you eat pork scratchings every day?

Or is it just me and am I not being creative enough?

@Goonergal I completely agree with you on the food restriction/denial.
There is a large problem of mental health for people with diabetes and adding food guilt to the mix just makes it worse.
I think of my diet as a choice not a necessity.

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my experience, there is a big difference between 100% plant-free and 95% carnivore, in terms of taste and palatability. I did the 75 carnivore hard challenge, and after a few weeks it became really hard! My diet is currently around 95% carni by calorific value, but I enjoy occasionally adding some avocado, a handful of radishes or a dollop of mayo (actually, I've replaced mayo with HM hollandaise, but you get the gist). Not to mention herbs and spices, and pickles/fermented veg! I enjoy cooking, and don't have noticeable problems from plants (seem fine with fibre, nightshades etc.). Currently looking forward to the asparagus season!

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I find the whole concept of restriction/denial really fascinating.

For me, carnivore doesn’t feel restrictive at all. Quite the opposite. Having gravitated there almost imperceptibly, the changes to the way in which I eat have been transformative. It’s a mindset thing and one which requires only the realisation that I can eat anything I want. I simply choose not to.

When I vere off the path there might be some short term gratification, but it’s very soon replaced by far stronger negative feelings and bodily responses.

That’s not to disparage or play down those who feel differently, just a reflection of how things are for me.
I love avocados, macadamia nuts, olives, kimchi, preserved Chinese veggies, and everything coconut.

edit: and peanut butter

Giving up coconut would be way too restrictive for me lol

Drfarxan

Hi there

Yes, about 95% carnivore (more at the moment) here. As Brunneria says, there are healthy and unhealthy ways of following any particular way of eating. However there are no vitamins and minerals available in plant foods that are not available from animal based sources. The key is to ensure a variety of foods.

For me Carnivore helps on a number of levels. Firstly it helps me to maintain my blood glucose in a very steady pattern, secondly to feel satiated more easily (and therefore reduce cravings and addiction behaviours to which I am prone) and finally it really assists with my arthritis and joint pains, which are hugely reduced when minimising plant foods.

The website of Dr Shawn Baker is a good starting point for more information: https://meatrx.com/
do you use any supplements ? impressive value from body weight to bp. What are your other blood test results like lipids and kidney function?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
do you use any supplements ? impressive value from body weight to bp. What are your other blood test results like lipids and kidney function?

Hello. I take vitamin d3 with k2 to aid absorption of the d3; plus magnesium and potassium (to ward off cramps) and folate as I previously had a folate deficiency, which has been corrected with the supplements.

My lipid profile is excellent - trigs 0.69, HDL 2.3, LDL 4.1, giving the attached ratios.
In a recent (February) batch of bloods, my renal profile was all well within the normal range.
My liver function gave an ALT score of 17 (down from 39 at diagnosis).

I sense from your questions suggest a degree of skepticism about the carnivore way of eating?

690B0FC2-CA21-41E0-B417-859B8FBAC3E6.jpeg

Drfarxan

I sense from your questions suggest a degree of skepticism about the carnivore way of eating?
not at all, blood test results are the best to determine if the diet is good or not and i was impressed with yours but i wanted to know more. I am not a carnivore and only got into LCHF 7 months ago 1.5 months after being diagnosed and i am curious about the next step after LCHF diet which is usually carnivore for most people.

Like most people who ask i am worried about the need for supplements and wonder if carnivores need to use them. Also the kidney scare thats why i asked about your kidney function blood test. High cholesterol is another "worry"i have.

So please tolerate my questions from time to time i am here to better myself