Full-fat dairy consumption could reduce risk of type 2 diabetes

DCUK NewsBot

Regular consumption of full-fat dairy products can reduce the risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared to eating low-fat dairy products, new research finds. The findings are reported by two separate studies: the first appears in the journal Circulation and the second is published in the American Journal of Nutrition. In the first study, researchers at Tufts University, Boston, United States analysed participants from the Nurses' Health and Health Professional Follow-Up Study. They found that participants with the highest levels of dairy fat in the blood had up to a 46 per cent lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes in a 15-year span compared to people with the lowest levels of dairy fats in the blood. The study team hypothesised that dairy fats could improve the body's sensitivity to insulin, but added that they cannot be sure how whole fat reduces the risk for type 2 diabetes. "Our findings highlight need to better understand potential health effects of dairy fat; and dietary and metabolic determinants of these fatty acids," they said. In the second study, researchers at Harvard Medical School examined the effects of full-fat and low-fat dairy products on middle-aged women at risk of becoming obese. The women, who had participated in the Women's Health Study, had an eight per cent reduced risk of being overweight or obese if they consumed more high-fat dairy products. Study author Susanne Rautiainen, from Harvard Medical School in Boston, said: "We saw less weight gain for higher total dairy and high-fat dairy intake and also a lower risk of becoming overweight and obese in those who consumed more high-fat dairy." "Dairy products contain several components that may contribute to less weight gain and lower risk of becoming overweight or obese, including proteins, vitamin D, calcium, and phosphorus," the researchers wrote. Many health organisations, such as the NHS, advocate consuming low-fat dairy products, but the results of these studies contradict this advice. However, both sets of researchers urged caution over their findings, insisting that further research is required to establish the beneficial effects of full-fat dairy products.

Continue reading...

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well here is an extremely interesting article. The scientists are beginning to not believe the low fat mantra and proving that lack of fat in various forms is really not healthy. At some point the governments and health boards are going to have to wake up

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well here is an extremely interesting article. The scientists are beginning to not believe the low fat mantra and proving that lack of fat in various forms is really not healthy. At some point the governments and health boards are going to have to wake up

It's ironic we're seeing a substantial increase in dairy intolerance now though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's ironic we're seeing a substantial increase in dairy intolerance now though.

We have been seeing that for decades.

I've seen all sorts of different explanations for it (and the associated increase in asthma) in the media. And we all know how excited the media get with their pet theories.

from memory, they range from
- introducing formula and reducing or eliminating breast feeding
- introducing double glazing (and allowing toxins and dust mites and dead dry air to affect our immune systems)
- introducing central heating
- too many antibiotics being given to milk producing cows
- likewise, hormones
- more intensive farming techniques changing the quality of the milk
- pasteurisation

There have probably been 20 more theories I have either missed or forgotten. A new theory seems to pop up in the news every time political news dies down a bit.

no idea if any or all of them have a grain of truth, but blaming varying amounts of fat in the milk seems even more of a stretch than the list above.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I doubt anyone blames the amount of fat in milk for dairy intolerance.

Most people find just avoiding dairy helps though.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It's often Lactose intolerant.

Sealord

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been aware of the ..non-fat diet...rubbish for some time now...i swapped back to full cream milk ,ect. as alot of it has vitamins and nutrients you cant get from diet stuff....its the old saying...pretty much eat whatever you like ..its the quantity and regularity of your food choices that can trip you up.

EVERYTHING IN MODERATION. is the way to go. Have a peice of chocolate, just not the whole box in one sitting... ;-)