Full Fat Greek Yogurt

PCS1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, could any recommend a FF Greek yogurt and where to buy it? I‘m having trouble sourcing any but zero or reduced fat.

Thank you :)
I buy it from Sainsburys (own brand) every week also from Tesco. Never any problem.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's very bad for diabetics to be eating bad fats (LDL's) which come mostly from dairy fats. Concentrate on getting your fats from HDL's (olive oil, avocados etc...) or you'll give yourself heart attack cholesterol problems to add to your diabetes one. I highly recommend a Desmond (diabetes) course for everybody where you'll learn all this stuff!
I disagree, and think you might have got the wrong end of the stick here. HDL (high density lipoproteins) and LDL (low density lipoproteins) are found in the bloodstream, rather than in food. They're manufactured by the body.

I personally eat quite a bit of saturated fat via dairy and meat, in addition to things like avocado and olive oil. I don't pay much attention to cholesterol, some 80% of which is (again) manufactured by the body as needed. However my blood lipids are all in range, while the calculated "total cholesterol" figure continues to fall.

I found my DESMOND-equivalent course to be a mixture. The dietitian strongly advised a low-carb approach eating plenty of natural saturated fat while avoiding processed and trans fats. The diabetic nurse in contrast told people to base all meals around starchy carbohydrates as the "Eatwell" plate suggests.

You might find Dr Malcolm Kendrick's book "The Clot Thickens" interesting.

Pam*

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Tesco's own brand Greek Yogurt is the best I've found. 500gram carton.

Optium

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I buy Fage Greek yogurt, I get it from Tesco but have bought it in Morrisons

Yes in Greek Yogurt we’ve always brought Fage, tho I have to confess that prior to the pre diabetes I was eating small fruity ones. I’m getting my taste buds more inline with the Greek and adding a few seeds for interest.
I enjoy Greek Yogurt (full fat as needed for weight gain) with my morning Weetabix (or Bite Size Shreddies) with mixed seeds, Walnuts, Blueberries, Raspberries plus 150ml of full fat milk !
I buy mine from my local Sainsbury or Tesco (any supermarket sells it here in London area- prices vary immensely)

Reactions: Grace04

Junius

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy it from Sainsburys (own brand) every week also from Tesco. Never any problem.
I agree. By far the bigger problem is getting it fat free with no or reduced sugars. The shops are full of it. I think the OP's a bit muddled as FF stands for fat free not full fat. Full fat yogurt is just regular stuff.

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favourite is Lancashire Farm Greek Style Yoghurt, 9.3% fat, Free-Range bio-live milk. Comes in 1kg pots, very well priced, from Iceland.
That has nearly twice as many carbs as the Fage 5%! As I try and stick to under 20g a day this yogurt would be too high for me

• Friendly
Reactions: filly and Junius

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree. By far the bigger problem is getting it fat free with no or reduced sugars. The shops are full of it. I think the OP's a bit muddled as FF stands for fat free not full fat. Full fat yogurt is just regular stuff.
The OP is not muddled.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Asda also do a decent full fat Greek Style yoghurt. I usually have 100g with 20g blueberries mixed in
Thank you for this. I have blueberries ready in the garden at the moment but I’ve been a bit reticent about eating them. Tho I did make some blueberry muffins for the freezer the other day.
M&S has full fat also labelled 10%
Thank you

ingrid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Aaah thank you. I had no idea that 5% was the one to go for. It is the one I’ve been eating thoug, the Fage, so that’s good.
The best Fage I remember from years’ ago was def much more than 5% and included added cream in its list of ingredients . It was by far the creamiest and tastiest Greek yog I’ve ever had (except the real real thing in Greece itself!). I’ve looked around to find anything Fage > 5% but been unable to find for a long time now. I’m actually vegan these days but occasionally treat myself to a large pot of Greek yog and still yearn for that genuinely full fat Fage!!

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No yoghurt is quite as good as the Greek ones in Greece! Wish we could get those over here.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's very bad for diabetics to be eating bad fats (LDL's) which come mostly from dairy fats. Concentrate on getting your fats from HDL's (olive oil, avocados etc...) or you'll give yourself heart attack cholesterol problems to add to your diabetes one. I highly recommend a Desmond (diabetes) course for everybody where you'll learn all this stuff!

I'll join in here Junius, with a book recommendation too - this one has includes fantastic references, and she spells it all out very well - Nina ‘Teicholz's 'The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet’. Naturally I'm including full-fat yoghurt in the healthy fat foods here!

And take a gander at her webiste - ninateicholz.com.

Junius, I know it's a strange turn around on dietary recommendations, and very very hard to get your head around the bs of dietary fat, especially that animal products is bad for us - it was the first thing I had to do when I changed my diet to low-carb (and I was only moderately low carbing at first). It was so weird for me that I used to laugh as I added butter to the pan, and learnt not to burn the coconut oil, that I was using these fats that I had been told would kill me. Boy was I surprised to find out that theory was never proved, and has since been disproved! I see why Teicholz named her book what she did - surprise is a good word.

But here you are in the low-carb diets section - and when you lower your carbs, it is recommended that you up your healthy fats. And, healthy fats are not what we were told in the late 70s on... anyway - read the book or her website, and yes Kendrick too...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I grew up in the 1940s-60s when fat was a normal part of our diet, and I've always eaten normal full fat dairy, cheese, and meat. It's never done me any harm and actually was the main reason I was able to control my T2 so quickly after diagnosis - I could simply cut out all the high carb stuff, and still be getting enough fuel from my usual fat consumption to provide my main energy needs.

I actually remember trying some reduced fat yoghurt when low/reduced fats first became the "in thing" and it tasted like I imagined a pot of chalky water might do :yuck: - this was before they realised that that something often needed to be added to replace the missing fat to make items more palatable again....

Reactions: filly

Doom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, could any recommend a FF Greek yogurt and where to buy it? I‘m having trouble sourcing any but zero or reduced fat.

Thank you :)
I buy this from Tesco:
LN_066444_BP_11.jpg