Full of anxiety (newly diagnosed)

Margi83

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use quite a few of the cake recipes on here.
I bake them in a 7 " square tin, then cut them into 16 squares and freeze them. That way I take out just one or 2 squares At a time.
As time goes on I find I'm doing this less and less as my tastes change, but they really helped in the early days.
The coffee one is very easy, I bake it square and leave out the filling to make it very simple.

Thank you
Hugs

wanipuk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I was overwhelmed with anxiety, too. It's a lot to take in. But I want to reassure you that you're not alone in this journey, and there are steps you can take to manage both your physical and mental well-being.

One thing that has really helped me is incorporating regular exercise into my routine. Going to the gym not only helps with weight management but also boosts my mood and reduces stress. It doesn't have to be anything intense. Finding activities you enjoy and can stick to consistently can make a big difference.

Another important aspect is adopting healthier eating habits. Making small changes over time can significantly improve your overall health. I focused on incorporating more fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains into my diet while cutting back on processed foods, sugar, and unhealthy fats.

Also, mindfulness and meditation are incredibly beneficial. I use a Calmer app that offers guided meditation sessions specifically designed to reduce stress and promote relaxation. It has helped me feel more centered and in control of my emotions.

Hang in there, and take things one day at a time. You've got this.

Last edited:

cornylady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
entitled people, traffic jams, politics
Hey ,i’m on Dapagliflozin (1 aday) & Metformin (2 twice a day). Thank you for all your advice,helps alot. Do you have any dessert ideas? it’s sweet stuff i crave more than anything.

I wanted to chip in as a newbie. I was very overwhelmed too. However I was sure I didn’t want medication so I have gone low carb. I have always eaten a very high carb diet, even when on one of my many (many) diets. I thought it would be really hard and was so worried I would find it hard to sustain. 1 month in (so still early days) I have lost 11lbs, and for the first time in my life I’m not hungry. Even when my tummy is empty I haven’t felt the need to reach for food. I have 1 main meal in the evening with a lighter lunch. I have gradually come to this as I have almost fallen into intermittent fasting. I saw that my bg is generally higher through the morning so waiting till later to eat means better numbers. I also decided to use a CGM for now to learn what foods work/don’t work for me but I will only use this for 2/3 months while I get a hang of it all. I have a very sweet tooth but going low carb has kicked all those cravings into touch. I am starting to feel so much more positive and all of this is thanks to this group! The help, support and info here is invaluable! Keep going, you are doing a fantastic job!

Paul41

@JoKalsbeek @KennyA thank you so so much for your replys. All the advice and reassurance has helped me like you wouldn’t believe (i suffer with severe health anxiety) so at times i can’t shift the thoughts out of my head but you really don’t know how much your replys and all the info on here has really helped me,so from the bottom of my heart i thank every 1 of you. I’m going to get threw this and i knowing i have this little safe space to turn to is a real life saver for me. Thank you again to all xx

Hugs,
margi xo

Hi,
I’m Paul , common all garden pre diabetic, well it’s controlled now and in no small part due to the great advice I received from this site.

I thought I’d respond as I certainly understand you with regards to anxiety. I stopped working a few years early due to it and “it” does rear its head on occasion.

In fact it did today!

You see I’ve just reduced the medication I am taking for high BP because I’ve lost weight by following a low carb diet . Good isn’t it

Anyway I had a headache today . Bang! Anxiety , I’m dying ! Then I remembered the one pill I’m now taking caused headaches before! I checked my BP and it’s fine, a little high but it’s fine . Nothing to worry about ! ( It’s alright me telling myself that )

Anyway that’s where I am . I’m pre diabetic, I always will be but I can eat sensibly and it’ll be fine.
I’ll always have anxiety but there are ways around that . The more I take control of things the less anxious I am.

Good luck

Reactions: Outlier and Antje77