Furious with doctors

LizzieP

Argh. Doctors!

I have 300 test strips on prescription. I test a lot as I am new, maybe about 10 times per day. I realise this is a lot. I test this much because I was only diagnosed as Type 1 in May last year and I want to know how it all works and act on my knowledge. I went to pick up my repeat prescription for my 300 strips yesterday, and discovered that without discussing it with me, my G.P, whom I have only met once when diagnosed, had reduced it back down to 100! I cannot believe it. I called the surgery and they have agreed to increase it back to 300 but tell me I am testing too much. :evil:

The doctor I spoke to on the phone said she was worried about my fingers (they are my fingers, not hers!) and that testing 4 times per day was sufficient.

Should it not be entirely up to us how much we test? It takes 30 seconds and I don't find it a hassle. So annoyed and frustrated.

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lizzie,

The exact same thing happened to me - at two seperate GPs. They want to keep their costs down. And we want to monitor and control our blood sugars. You will end up finding a compromise.

I would be slightly worried about testing 10 times a day for an extended period though - your fingers do need to heal and as diabetics, our circulation can sometimes be less than perfect.

What does anyone else think?

Sam.

LizzieP

Hello Sam. Thanks. Annoying, isn't it? Without any discussion!

10 times a day is loads, I realise :) . But, I am doing it so much and keeping records and notes with a view to decreasing that number eventually when I feel more comfortable that I know what I am doing. I'll get there in the end.

farmerfudge

Had a similar discussion with my doctor shortly after diagnosis.

I started out getting 3 months supply of Test Strips, Simvastatin, Needles, you name it then he reduced my prescription. We had a face to face discussion and he said it was ultimatly down to costs.
I said that it was a major annoyance and it's flipping inconvenient to keep having to sort out repeat prescriptions endlessly. I think it might be a different story if these GPs had to live with diabetes too and having to spend a significant amount of time making sure you're fully supplied with all the necessary bits & pieces - forever! I told him that I was even more annoyed that his justification was cost as health trumps cost in my opinion, end of. :evil: :evil: :evil:

lilibet

Im waiting for something similar tbh.

With a 2nd A1c at 5.1 and a letter from the Endo specifically stating, IN WRITING, that thats too low, and I should cut my insulin :shock: I am sure they will see this on the contiuum of diabetic zealousness (I can just hear them, "she must be testing all the time" blah blah blah).

However, I test 3 times daily before I eat. Anytime before I drive (and I use my car for work) and sometimes 2x before I go to bed- 1 to check, 2 to check again if Ive been a bit too low and eaten as a result. I consider that a minimum and thats with an insulin profile Im fairly certain of in terms of likely times for hypos etc.
God help them (and my fingers) when I move to MDI. Though If I ever get there it will be a miracle, given they want to cut what Im on at present. Cant wait to see his face when I tell him ive put it UP :twisted:

L

malky

i dont see the problem here apart from the inconvenience of having to re order prescriptions, i get 2 tubes ,100 test strips, 1 box of needles my insulin, lancets, and keto strips any time i order my prescription but most of the time i do not need all of this as some things run out before others like the needles and i have never had problems when re ordering no matter what i order

tasha

First of all Lizzie, well done on being so good with trying to control your diabetes. Your doctor is an idiot! He obviously has not read a single piece of resent research or anything on modern control e.g. basal bolus. Any T1 who is doing everything they can at controlling levels will HAVE to test at least 6 times a day. And as others have said, if you drive or go the gym or just have hypo symptoms this can easily reach an average of 10 tests a day.

You need to test when you wake and before breakfast.
Then usually approx 2 hours later-to see if your carb: insulin ratio was correct.
Test before lunch
then maybe 2 hours later
Test before dinner
and yes...again 2 hours or so later.
Then test before bed.

Not to mention testing before driving or exercise!

Now, I don't do all of these tests every day, but I probably do an average of 8 a day.

As for the 'fingers' debate. Are you for real? If testing is seriously hurting your fingers then test somewhere else or change the lancet! Or get a new device. Yes I've got tiny holes in my fingers and every now and then they feel tender. But sore fingers once in a blue moon or loosing my sight or toes? No contest.

I have also had 'discussions' with one GP at my practice. Needless to say I refuse to see the idiot any more. This is the same guy that phoned the pharmacy next door when I joined the surgery because he didn't believe that the medication I took in with me (complete with my details printed on them) were available on prescription!

If money is the issue, how many of you out there would have an issue with paying anything towards your prescriptions? Obviously we are extremely lucky to get ours for free, but I do often feel a little guilty. If people can afford it, would it be so bad if we had to make a contribution once a year or month? And no I don't mean £7.10 on each item! That is beyond every diabetic! Imagine how much each visit would cost.

farmerfudge

Wouldn't personally consider paying voluntarily. Because:
1. Good control = having as many test strips as I deem necessary as a sentient adult with Type 1 diabetes. I dont need to be dictated by GP, economic or political reasoning on how many I need. I know how many I need.
2. If I don't have good control the complications later will cost my PCT dearly anyway.
3. If the Welsh can have all prescriptions free regardless of what it's for at the cost to the wider UK taxpayer I'm certainly having my entitlement as someone who has a condition for life.
4. Life is a total pain in the a** already dealing with this all encompassing illness thanks v much, don't need the added hassle of trying to negotiate for basic prescriptions to manage it as an additional headache.

Sweet3x

LizzieP said:
Argh. Doctors!

The doctor I spoke to on the phone said she was worried about my fingers (they are my fingers, not hers!) and that testing 4 times per day was sufficient.

Should it not be entirely up to us how much we test? It takes 30 seconds and I don't find it a hassle. So annoyed and frustrated.

Not disagreeing with you, but after a few months of 10 times a day testing, your fingers really WILL notice. You will even find that places you used previously start to bleed when you use the finger again, another day. They don't have time to heal. They may also develop hard skin, which will make it harder to draw blood.

Try cutting down slowly. Don't get annoyed with her for trying to help. 300 strips does seem an awful lot to be getting, I'm based in France, where they don't mind giving you more if you ask. They happily hand me 100-150 a month. But I think even they would jib at giving me more than double the recommended amount. And France is generous.

If you were diagnosed in May last year, that's almost a year you've had to get into a routine. You shouldn't need to be testing at every opportunity. If you have your doses right, before eating, before you go to sleep and when you get up should be ample. If you feel the need to test 10 times a day, I can't help feeling something isn't right.

Stop being so angry, take a step back, and think about it :) Try working with doing 5 tests a day. See how you manage. I kind of feel that maybe you are scared to let go of the control - but honestly, if you are getting good results now, there is no need to test so often. It really is only needed if your sugars are up and down like a yo-yo all the time. And if they are, you need to go see your doctor and find out why.

*edit - incidentally, why have you only seen her once, when you were diagnosed? Is this your general GP? Not sure how it works any more in the UK, but if you don't see your doctor, who do you see? Surely it's your responsibility to go see her, and keep her appraised of how you are doing?

yipster29

I got diagnosed Saturday just gone and am only doing between 4 and 6 tests a day! 10 does seem a little high if diagnosed nearly a year ago. The consultant I saw said not to go overboard testing becasue of fingers and accepting results will naturally fluctuate.

When diagnosed I was kept in hospital as results over 30 and they're having to bring blood down slowly so I don't feel worse, my results whilst the level of insulin fine tuned have been anywhere between 9 and 28 yet I'm still OK and feeling better daily.

When I go back to exercise I may need an extra but would think how I feel and what I've eaten should be as good a steer as more tests.

Although new I think for your benefit cutting back would be good

:roll:

annieshaw

my mum was diagnosed type2 4-5mths ago now they have called her back into the surgery to say now the blood results from sheffield have returned and she is now a type1 they have taken her off gliclazide (she still takes metformin) but no insulin is this normal? we are all new to this s need advice? thanks

Sweet3x

might be better posting this as a new topic, annieshaw :)
It might not get noticed tagged onto the end of another subject :)