GAD Autoantibodies

Shiba Park

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Guess that means you didn't have a honeymoon period. :(
Nothing detectable, unless I'm still in it...

No crazy plunges out of nowhere, no soft landing after under-estimating carbs. I'm very sensitive to insulin so maybe my honeymoon period was the last hurrah before diagnosis? Ho hum.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they're overrated with regard to management because you never know or can guess with any accuracy when your pancreas is going to squirt out its own insulin so you end up with more insulin than you anticipated. I was told though by more than one Consultant that retaining your remaining beta cells (even if only a small amount) for as long as possible, whether it was a few extra months or even years was massively beneficial to your health in that it helped you minimise the affects of diabetes. I suspect though that being able to keep your levels within range does the trick too.

I think my consultants at diagnosis wanted to kill off my remaining beta cells... I want to keep my remaining function as long as possible as I think it’s helping. That was one of the reasons I went low carb. I’ve recently had my c peptide and antibodies tests done, now 3 years after diagnosis (and maybe about 10 years after initial trigger). I will report back my results when I get them. Any chance my beta cells are regenerating ? Most likely not .... :-D

Reactions: ert and KK123

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think they're overrated with regard to management because you never know or can guess with any accuracy when your pancreas is going to squirt out its own insulin so you end up with more insulin than you anticipated. I was told though by more than one Consultant that retaining your remaining beta cells (even if only a small amount) for as long as possible, whether it was a few extra months or even years was massively beneficial to your health in that it helped you minimise the affects of diabetes. I suspect though that being able to keep your levels within range does the trick too.

Precisely! It’s all very well having beta cells helping, but they have no impact if you are consistently out of range. My HBA1C improved massively once the honeymoon had buzzed off. And I am in range, with a pretty straight line on my Libre most of the time. I am not a very low carber, but usually under less than 80 a day as that is the way I enjoy eating. Always have even pre diagnosis days. However, if I want to eat more I do.

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone there's a lot to take in at the moment but I appreciate your help and advice. I really don't think anyone knows if I'm 1 or 2 but at the moment I need to concentrate on what works best for me in terms of getting things more stable x
Hi, just to let you know i am basically the same position as you. GAD antibodies negative, C- peptide low. I'm 26 and have never been overweight. I'm just treated as T1 - it works well (apart from mornings where it seems like no matter what i eat i also go above 12).

I sort of think OI'm lucky as my diet isn't particularly restricted, unlike a T2 who has to be more careful. I've also found that some carby foods actually works quite well for me - especially pasta - pizza on the other hand is never so good!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Do they even bother to test GAD or c-peptide for new child T1s in these days? I was diagnosed at 8, early because of my T1 mother noticing symptoms of thirst, but I was straight onto insulin and I never even heard of the honeymoon period until a few years ago....
But in those days the only home testing kits were a urine testing chemistry experiment, so the only test you had was whether you'd been more or less than 10 for the last few hours.