1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

GAD Autoantibodies

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by CC1, Sep 6, 2019.

1. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think they're overrated with regard to management because you never know or can guess with any accuracy when your pancreas is going to squirt out its own insulin so you end up with more insulin than you anticipated. I was told though by more than one Consultant that retaining your remaining beta cells (even if only a small amount) for as long as possible, whether it was a few extra months or even years was massively beneficial to your health in that it helped you minimise the affects of diabetes. I suspect though that being able to keep your levels within range does the trick too.

2. Shiba Park

Shiba Park Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Nothing detectable, unless I'm still in it...

No crazy plunges out of nowhere, no soft landing after under-estimating carbs. I'm very sensitive to insulin so maybe my honeymoon period was the last hurrah before diagnosis? Ho hum.

• Hug Hug x 1
  3. michita

michita Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think my consultants at diagnosis wanted to kill off my remaining beta cells... I want to keep my remaining function as long as possible as I think it’s helping. That was one of the reasons I went low carb. I’ve recently had my c peptide and antibodies tests done, now 3 years after diagnosis (and maybe about 10 years after initial trigger). I will report back my results when I get them. Any chance my beta cells are regenerating ? Most likely not .... :-D

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  4. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Precisely! It’s all very well having beta cells helping, but they have no impact if you are consistently out of range. My HBA1C improved massively once the honeymoon had buzzed off. And I am in range, with a pretty straight line on my Libre most of the time. I am not a very low carber, but usually under less than 80 a day as that is the way I enjoy eating. Always have even pre diagnosis days. However, if I want to eat more I do.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SB.25

SB.25 Other · Well-Known Member

Hi, just to let you know i am basically the same position as you. GAD antibodies negative, C- peptide low. I'm 26 and have never been overweight. I'm just treated as T1 - it works well (apart from mornings where it seems like no matter what i eat i also go above 12).

I sort of think OI'm lucky as my diet isn't particularly restricted, unlike a T2 who has to be more careful. I've also found that some carby foods actually works quite well for me - especially pasta - pizza on the other hand is never so good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do they even bother to test GAD or c-peptide for new child T1s in these days? I was diagnosed at 8, early because of my T1 mother noticing symptoms of thirst, but I was straight onto insulin and I never even heard of the honeymoon period until a few years ago....
    But in those days the only home testing kits were a urine testing chemistry experiment, so the only test you had was whether you'd been more or less than 10 for the last few hours.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook