GAD & C-Peptide Results- Very confused!

Becky1992

Hi there

I'm hoping someone could help me as I am beyond confused right now!

Just to give you a bit of background:
I was diagnosed as type 1 9 years ago at the age of 19. I've muddled through for the last 8 years but have really focused on getting tighter control of my bloods in the last year. So far my hba1c has gone from 9% to 6.9% in the last 10 months so happy with my progress so far.

I had an appointment with an endocrinologist (the first in 8 years) in May and had new hba1c tests and gave a urine sample for a C-Peptide test.
I have now received a letter saying that the urine sample could not be tested because they gave me the wrong pot and they have asked for another sample. However, the letter also states GAD weak positive 41.4 IA2 negative.

What does this mean? Do these results suggest that I am not a type 1 diabetic and possible type 1.5 or 2?
I have heard of a lot of type 1's being misdiagnosed as type 2 but not heard of this the other way around?

I've emailed my diabetic team but they don't often respond so just wondering if anyone can provide some sort of clarity?

Thanks in advance everyone!

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hi there

I'm hoping someone could help me as I am beyond confused right now!

Just to give you a bit of background:
I was diagnosed as type 1 9 years ago at the age of 19. I've muddled through for the last 8 years but have really focused on getting tighter control of my bloods in the last year. So far my hba1c has gone from 9% to 6.9% in the last 10 months so happy with my progress so far.

I had an appointment with an endocrinologist (the first in 8 years) in May and had new hba1c tests and gave a urine sample for a C-Peptide test.
I have now received a letter saying that the urine sample could not be tested because they gave me the wrong pot and they have asked for another sample. However, the letter also states GAD weak positive 41.4 IA2 negative.

What does this mean? Do these results suggest that I am not a type 1 diabetic and possible type 1.5 or 2?
I have heard of a lot of type 1's being misdiagnosed as type 2 but not heard of this the other way around?

I've emailed my diabetic team but they don't often respond so just wondering if anyone can provide some sort of clarity?

Thanks in advance everyone!

I hope your diabetes team get back to you soon.

GAD positive, your age at diagnosis, and insulin requirement would support a type 1 diagnosis. It doesn't matter the GAD antibodies are weak, some people are more sensitive to GAD antibodies than others. The c-peptide must have been done to see if you're still producing trace amounts of insulin, rather than zero, which is known as a honeymoon period.

Here's a link to c-peptide results:
https://www.exeterlaboratory.com/test/c-peptide-urine/