Gained weight, but 'lost' A1C. Reassurance needed, please.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dear all low-carbers.

Yay, FBS was 4,7 mmol/L this morning, the lowest in years, but OhNo, I've gained almost 2kgs since Monday. What's going on?

Since the end of March I've been cutting back on carbs, and have lowered my A1C from a whopping 13,4 mmol/L to an average 6.5 mmol/L, or an estimated A1C of 5.7% according to my app. I'm very happy with that result, so I decided to go a little further.

Yesterday I decided to challenge myself to go below the 20 g of carbs/day. My total ended up on 19,77 g - not counting the full fat cream I put in my tea.

I'll admit that I'm not good at these calculations, but I gave it a go anyway.

Breakfast: 110 g of home-made rhubarb somethingorother + 80 g of cottage cheese = 6.76 g of carbs.

Lunch: 250 g of fried mushrooms (raw weight), 5 very thinly slices of bacon (we export all the good rashers to you guys) and two eggs. Made this into an omelette frying it in butter. I still felt hungry!!!, so I had 50 g of almonds. Lunch total 8.31 g of carbs.

Late emergency tea (10:30pm) of 2 slices of roast pork with mayo and mustard. I cut the fat away as it was too gross. Probably 0 g carbs. For good measure I had 100g of full fat Greek youghurt = 4.7 g carbs.

No doubt yesterday's effect on my BS was a success with an average of 5.6 mmol/L, but I know that my weight is closely tied in with my BS or vice-versa, so why am I suddenly gaining, when you lot are losing weight? Should I really add more fat to my diet in order to feel full? I can't have more veggies as they would send me above the infamous 20 g. After day 1 of this experiment I'm already beginning to feel it's not do-able, and that perhaps I should aim for below 50g/day instead. I'm way past menopause, so I can't even use that as an explanation for my apparent weight gain, as I would have done years ago. :angelic:

Meds: 1.8 mg Victoza
10mg of Jardiance (lowered my dosis from the 25mg/day my doc prescribed instead of putting me on insulin in late March. Bad girl or sensible girl?)
2 x 500 mg metformin/day
80mg Atorvastatin/day

Feeling a little discombobulated. Am I doing something wrong? Have I misunderstood something? I'd really appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks :)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
We have had decades to put on weight and raise our numbers. Our bodys are primed to protect our fat stores so it's no wonder that it can take some of us a little longer than a few months to see improvements and sometimes we see blips or stalls. If you are not comfortable at sub 20g carbs per day then raise it to 25 or 30 for a while and try to let your body know you're not starving it. You can then try lowering that number to 20g again and see what happens. Rome wasn't built in a day. Good progress so far on your part, keep it up, you'll get over this blip!

Reactions: ziggy_w

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
We have had decades to put on weight and raise our numbers. Our bodys are primed to protect our fat stores so it's no wonder that it can take some of us a little longer than a few months to see improvements and sometimes we see blips or stalls. If you are not comfortable at sub 20g carbs per day then raise it to 25 or 30 for a while and try to let your body know you're not starving it. You can then try lowering that number to 20g again and see what happens. Rome wasn't built in a day. Good progress so far on your part, keep it up, you'll get over this blip!

Thanks Guzzler. Yes I do have a very protective body and a mind that reacts very harshly to blips, I know. In my lifetime I must've lost something like 65kg and gained it all again + interests. I have a yo-yo weight and a body that looks like one too:sour:
A few years ago I tried the LCHF approach, and gained quite a bit of weight, which is why I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong now. Back then I didn't have anybody to spar with, you see.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll take your advice and add a few more carbs to my daily intake :)

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Thanks Guzzler. Yes I do have a very protective body and a mind that reacts very harshly to blips, I know. In my lifetime I must've lost something like 65kg and gained it all again + interests. I have a yo-yo weight and a body that looks like one too:sour:
A few years ago I tried the LCHF approach, and gained quite a bit of weight, which is why I'm worried that I'm doing something wrong now. Back then I didn't have anybody to spar with, you see.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll take your advice and add a few more carbs to my daily intake :)

I find from reading the comments of many members that if we are not comfortable with our diet then it becomes unsustainable so finding our personal optimal levels is key. Good luck.

Reactions: briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I find from reading the comments of many members that if we are not comfortable with our diet then it becomes unsustainable so finding our personal optimal levels is key. Good luck.

I'll stick with it for about a month and see what happens. I see the great results of so many others in here, the theory sounds logic to me and there are so many things I can eat + more positives. I have a lot to learn, I know :) I'm happy with my BS on LC.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just as a simple observation, i simply cannot believe that you have put on 2kg (4.4 pounds) of body fat in 3 days.

You may have put on a tiny fraction of that as body fat (if you have been eating HUGE amounts of protein and fat) but it is almost certain that the rest of the scale weight is in the form of fluid retention and the un-passed contents of your digestive tract.

General suggestions when significantly cutting down on carbs include
- drinking lots - that means more than you used to drink, and more than you think you need. preferably water, because everything else usually has carbs or sweeteners, or acts as a mild diuretic. Bone broth is good.
- making sure you are getting enough electrolytes - the easiest way is to add a bit more salt to food, but I prefer adding magnesium and potassium supplements, because my body doesn't like too much sodium.
- only weigh once a week or less - this means you don't get stressed about the little fluctuations and variations.
- if you do weigh daily, then don't panic until you have seen how those variations work out over an extended time. I often fluctuate by 3-4 pounds in 2 days, so it doesn't bother me at all when it happens.

Basically, have a google on the subject of starting very low carb, and carb flu. There is masses of info out there.

Time is the most important thing. By that, I mean giving yourself months to adjust to this, rather than days or even weeks.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Just as a simple observation, i simply cannot believe that you have put on 2kg (4.4 pounds) of body fat in 3 days.

Neither can I, really. I should know better that worrying about it. Curiously enough if I suddenly lose a couple of pounds over night, I absolutely believe it and I'm happy all over. I am but human ;)

... it is almost certain that the rest of the scale weight is in the form of fluid retention and the un-passed contents of your digestive tract.

Checked for indentures after pressing my shin, and you're absolutely right. Fluid retention. With me it tends to come and go, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it.

General suggestions when significantly cutting down on carbs include
- drinking lots - that means more than you used to drink, and more than you think you need. preferably water, because everything else usually has carbs or sweeteners, or acts as a mild diuretic. Bone broth is good.
- making sure you are getting enough electrolytes - the easiest way is to add a bit more salt to food, but I prefer adding magnesium and potassium supplements, because my body doesn't like too much sodium.
- only weigh once a week or less - this means you don't get stressed about the little fluctuations and variations.
- if you do weigh daily, then don't panic until you have seen how those variations work out over an extended time. I often fluctuate by 3-4 pounds in 2 days, so it doesn't bother me at all when it happens.

About hopping on the scales every day, again I should know better, but yesterday it was up by a couple of pounds, so I was hoping it would be down today.

Drinking lots ... Guilty. I'm not good at it now that my BS it so much better. I keep 3 bottles of water in the fridge, but find that I barely get through 3 glasses a day. I drink lots of tea, as it tends to give me that satiated feeling.

Salt ...? Isn't that supposed to increase fluid retention?

Time is the most important thing. By that, I mean giving yourself months to adjust to this, rather than days or even weeks.

Thanks. Will have to increase amount of patience too, obviously :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:)

Re the salt thing, have a read about how drastically cutting carbs alters the way the kidneys regulate fluid and electrolytes.
Long story short, during the adjustment period, the kidneys flush salt and other electrolytes as well as water, which in some people can result in dehydration headaches and cramps. For those people, salt in the form of broth, or added to food can be a quick fix.

Reactions: briped

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
HI briped,
Sometimes the simplest answer is the best. Have you checked you scales?
:bag:
Oh, I suspect they're not too trustworthy, but not to the +/- 2 kgs point. My legs do feel rather heavy today, and my shins and feet look bloated, so I believe they're more to blame than my scales. Fluid retention. Just a few days ago they looked fairly slim, and I could see my blue veins through the skin of my feet. They have blurred out now. I don't know why my body keeps doing this to me. I can't seem to find a pattern, and then suddenly everything is back to normal again. :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I totally agree @briped to @Guzzler.
It could be water retention from a change in your diet.
You sound like me. Jumping from one dietary need to another. Too many masters to satisfy.
Decide what is your main priority and get that conquered first. Mine is weight loss. After that I can manage bgs after all my years experience.
Maybe write a diary. Not a food diary but what's triggering you to keep changing your diet.
Keeping to the same healthy diet will sustain good diabetes management.
Do you get bored with same foods?

Runica

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I understand the fluctuating weight thing. I weigh every day, and it seems that I can gain or lose astonishing amounts of weight in a very short period of time.

I began to jot down my weight ONLY on the 1st of the month now, and it gives a far better picture of what's actually going on. I'm currently losing 1/2 to 1 lb a week. A quick flick back through the calendar is normally enough to calm my soul on a worriting day.

Maybe you could do similar, and see if your weight gains and losses have a particular pattern?

A change of usual diet can be a wobbler for the system. I went on holiday for a few days this year, took the best low carb choices from the buffet and managed to gain 4lb over 4 days. I lost it all again in the next 3 days on returning home.

I can't fight my body, I have to work with it and take notes!

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Dear all low-carbers.

Yay, FBS was 4,7 mmol/L this morning, the lowest in years, but OhNo, I've gained almost 2kgs since Monday. What's going on?

Since the end of March I've been cutting back on carbs, and have lowered my A1C from a whopping 13,4 mmol/L to an average 6.5 mmol/L, or an estimated A1C of 5.7% according to my app. I'm very happy with that result, so I decided to go a little further.

Yesterday I decided to challenge myself to go below the 20 g of carbs/day. My total ended up on 19,77 g - not counting the full fat cream I put in my tea.

I'll admit that I'm not good at these calculations, but I gave it a go anyway.

Breakfast: 110 g of home-made rhubarb somethingorother + 80 g of cottage cheese = 6.76 g of carbs.

Lunch: 250 g of fried mushrooms (raw weight), 5 very thinly slices of bacon (we export all the good rashers to you guys) and two eggs. Made this into an omelette frying it in butter. I still felt hungry!!!, so I had 50 g of almonds. Lunch total 8.31 g of carbs.

Late emergency tea (10:30pm) of 2 slices of roast pork with mayo and mustard. I cut the fat away as it was too gross. Probably 0 g carbs. For good measure I had 100g of full fat Greek youghurt = 4.7 g carbs.

No doubt yesterday's effect on my BS was a success with an average of 5.6 mmol/L, but I know that my weight is closely tied in with my BS or vice-versa, so why am I suddenly gaining, when you lot are losing weight? Should I really add more fat to my diet in order to feel full? I can't have more veggies as they would send me above the infamous 20 g. After day 1 of this experiment I'm already beginning to feel it's not do-able, and that perhaps I should aim for below 50g/day instead. I'm way past menopause, so I can't even use that as an explanation for my apparent weight gain, as I would have done years ago. :angelic:

Meds: 1.8 mg Victoza
10mg of Jardiance (lowered my dosis from the 25mg/day my doc prescribed instead of putting me on insulin in late March. Bad girl or sensible girl?)
2 x 500 mg metformin/day
80mg Atorvastatin/day

Feeling a little discombobulated. Am I doing something wrong? Have I misunderstood something? I'd really appreciate your words of wisdom. Thanks :)
You might need to look how you are counting carbs... I could be wrong lol

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
You might need to look how you are counting carbs... I could be wrong lol
Oh, I could easily be wrong. I always hated counting and calculating, but I look up every ingredient, check the carbs per 100g, calculate carb per 1g and multiply by how many gs I eat. Isn't that how to do it? If not, please enlighten me :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I began to jot down my weight ONLY on the 1st of the month now, and it gives a far better picture of what's actually going on.

I know you're right, but once a month wouldn't be quite enough to satiate my curiosity. I can't even help hopping on the scales several times a week, but I only jot it down in my app every Monday.

A change of usual diet can be a wobbler for the system. I went on holiday for a few days this year, took the best low carb choices from the buffet and managed to gain 4lb over 4 days. I lost it all again in the next 3 days on returning home.

I've changed my diet fairly gradually since the end of March, but perhaps not gradually enough? I started by cutting out the usual starches, except for 30g of bread per day. I'd have the odd apple (perhaps 2-3 every week) and I still ate carrots. After about 3 weeks I cut out the bread too, and then the carrots and the apple. I felt my BS was moving nowhere, which gets us to yesterday, the first day of my below 20g carbs per day challenge, which happens to coincide with my "gaining" a couple of kgs.
Also it's a bit disheartening that I seem to be slower at shedding the kgs now than I was 11 years ago. Disheartening, but not surprising, I suppose. Back then I'd lose 1 - 1,5 kgs/week on a balanced diet that was low carb'ish, but nothing like this, and certainly very low fat, 15 g/day.

By the way, amazing results you've achieved! Couldn't help noticing your sig :)

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I totally agree @briped to @Guzzler.
It could be water retention from a change in your diet.
I've no doubt that it is. My bloated legs and feet are in agreement with you :) I'm just not so sure it has anything to do with a change in diet, as this has been going on for as long as I can remember. Anyway, I know I'll wake up one morning soon and all that water will have mysteriously vanished.

You sound like me. Jumping from one dietary need to another. Too many masters to satisfy.
The only major jump I've done within the last couple of months is going from an extremely high carb 'diet' = not caring for myself at all. This had been going on for a couple of years following the death of my mother, and I had entered a truly vicious circle where my H1C ended up on 13.4 mmol/L. I knew it. Thirst, peeing at night, thrush, completely lethargic etc. etc. the symptoms couldn't be misinterpreted, even by me, but I didn't have the energy to do anything but blame myself for not doing anything.

Decide what is your main priority and get that conquered first. Mine is weight loss. After that I can manage bgs after all my years experience.

End of March. I did the impossible and went for the appointment I had with my endo Dr. She threatened me with insulin, and that did the trick. My estimated H1C is now 5.7% based on bgs measured since April 4th, so I'd say I'm happy with that. Knowing that my weight is hugely important to lowering and keeping the stability of my bg, I'm now a bit more focused on the weight loss.

Do you get bored with same foods?
There are so many LCHF recipes I can try out, but from previous experience I know that I will miss the crunchiness of veggies if I'm to stay below the 20g/day. I have a very good radar for all edibles bad for me. For example my fave veggies are below ground ones. Once my naturally slim husband and I had to choose a bag of frozen mixed veggies. I'd go for the one that had sweetcorn and peas, he'd go for the cauliflower/brocolli. He'd choose the dark chockolate and I'd choose the milky or even white. Not fair :arghh:

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Oh, I could easily be wrong. I always hated counting and calculating, but I look up every ingredient, check the carbs per 100g, calculate carb per 1g and multiply by how many gs I eat. Isn't that how to do it? If not, please enlighten me :)
50 grams of almonds by some estimates have 22g carbs per 100g weight

mustard can be high in carbs... wee things like that

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
50 grams of almonds by some estimates have 22g carbs per 100g weight

mustard can be high in carbs... wee things like that

Oh, believe you me, I've found out about the wee things like that. I am surprised to hear that some almonds can have as much as 22g :nailbiting: Mine only have 5,5 per 100g and the mustard 3,5g. Uh, I'd hate to eat 100 g of that mustard. I had less than 1tsps.
I have a 5.5g carb ration for tea, and nothing much in the fridge. Perhaps I should just eat 150g mustard ? :yuck:;)