Gaining?!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I'm going slightly mad here. I've been low-carbing for well over a year now, but after reaching a plateau at 82 kilo's, (was 102+) I started gaining weight. So about a month ago I cut the amount of carbs in half. I'm averaging 30 to 40 grams a day, tops. And I'm getting bigger! 85.7 on the scales just now. My thyroid doesn't work, and I read somewhere keto doesn't work for some thyroidpatients, because it goes into "storage mode", holding on to anything and everything, because it probably thinks the subject is starving. My bs is prettier than ever before... But I joyously threw out all the big summerclothes last year, and now I won't fit into anything again. Any ideas on how to lose weight when your thyroid's not co-operating? (I have Hashimoto's).
Any helpful hints are appreciated, from carb-targets to calories to supplements. I'm willing to do anything at this point! I can't get bigger...! My fatty liver won't appreciate it, and neither will my pancreas, as it is all belly fat... Thanks for any nuggets of advice!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Give your thyroid the priority. Fatty liver can stop people losing weight. Has your fatty liver gone?
Does your thyroid not like seafood, broccoli and other cruciferous vegtables, like mine? Having to taking supplement tablets instead?

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on 137,5 micrograms of thyroidhormone supplements. It took me forever to get the dosage right, but the doc finally told me my levels are good. As a result I don't get weird hypo's aymore. (As long as the dosage was off I had to eat 6 times a day, or hypo after 4 hours. Now it doesn't happen anymore and I stick with 3 meals.) My fatty liver's still there, but it got a little better than it was when I started out on this journey a year and a half ago... No idea how much though...

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm going slightly mad here. I've been low-carbing for well over a year now, but after reaching a plateau at 82 kilo's, (was 102+) I started gaining weight. So about a month ago I cut the amount of carbs in half. I'm averaging 30 to 40 grams a day, tops. And I'm getting bigger! 85.7 on the scales just now. My thyroid doesn't work, and I read somewhere keto doesn't work for some thyroidpatients, because it goes into "storage mode", holding on to anything and everything, because it probably thinks the subject is starving. My bs is prettier than ever before... But I joyously threw out all the big summerclothes last year, and now I won't fit into anything again. Any ideas on how to lose weight when your thyroid's not co-operating? (I have Hashimoto's).
Any helpful hints are appreciated, from carb-targets to calories to supplements. I'm willing to do anything at this point! I can't get bigger...! My fatty liver won't appreciate it, and neither will my pancreas, as it is all belly fat... Thanks for any nuggets of advice!

Hello! I have two ideas:
1/ You are eating low carb but what kind of food are you eating (balanced, healthy?). Quality versus quantity :)
2/Are you exercising? As you lose weight, your body adapts to the situation (it thinks it is starving) and your metabolism slows down -> you burn less calories even when resting. It would mean eating even less to keep losing weight, which is not sustainable/healthy...
Exercising (especially strength training and HIIT) actually bumps up your metabolism, even AFTER your workout (after-burn effect)
So I would say: eat when you're hungry (healthy 90% of the time) + exercise regularly + drink lots water + sleep well
Hope that helps!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on 137,5 micrograms of thyroidhormone supplements. It took me forever to get the dosage right, but the doc finally told me my levels are good. As a result I don't get weird hypo's aymore. (As long as the dosage was off I had to eat 6 times a day, or hypo after 4 hours. Now it doesn't happen anymore and I stick with 3 meals.) My fatty liver's still there, but it got a little better than it was when I started out on this journey a year and a half ago... No idea how much though...

Sorry, JoKalsbeek, I hadn't seen your post before now.

When did you last have your thyroid levels checked, in relation to when you started your lower carbing and losing weight?

Frustratingly, it seems our thyroid function can change over time, and although once good levels are achieved by careful titration they can remain stable for years, they can still change.

In your shoes, if it'd been a while since they were checked, that'd be something I want check again

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started my morning with a semi- bulletproof drink... (coconut milk, coconut oil, cinnamon). And my liver merrily kept on dumping. So I guess I do need some carbs for my liver to get the message in the a.m.. That's okay, just too bad about lie-ins on the weekend. As for my thyroid, getting those levels right has taken me longer than getting my bloodsugar under control; I only got it right this past february, a year and a half after my levels went off because T2 made me lose 20 kilo's. My levels get checked every 3 months, together with my bloodsugar. I spend rediculous amounts on healthy food (healthy for us diabetics, that is)... Nuts, berries, coconut-based dairy replacements (can't use actual dairy, sadly, so it's been a bit of a puzzle), salads, above-ground veggies, unprocessed meats... Tentatively trying keto now. I excersize at home, have a thing in the bedroom that's working on my thighs and calves, no idea what it's called. (house-bound due to anxiety issues. Only get out when my husband or other familymember/friend is with me). We'll see how keto works out then... Only just started. Went from 75 grams to 40 to 20... Hungerpangs all the time now, but I hope it'll pass.

Broomthebeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@JoKalsbeek I used to not exercise at all/ hated it, especially when people told me to do it/ 'it's good for you' blabla
And then I discovered FitnessBlender! They have tons of videos for all kinds of exercises and levels, but more importantly it is FREE, you can do it in your living-room (wearing whatever you want), and it is a very positive/ welcoming community really. They tell you to do what you can (so I started by doing 5 min of a workout!), it is less about weight loss and more about FEELING GOOD in your body, being able to do things etc

Honestly now I love working out so much it is (one of) the highlight of my day, it makes me feel awesome (endorphines!) Bonus: you feel like a warrior, it helps with stress and anxiety and they tell you to eat (well) to avoid starvation mode

They have a VERY supportive community in their forums too if you want to have a look, plenty of beginners and desperate people asking for help

Hang on in there!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I'll look into it! (Website looks nice!)