Gastroparesis.................Like snacking all the time?

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am certain I have gastroparesis (delayed stomach emptying). This is a form of autonomic neuropathy, mainly affecting the vagal nerve. Dr Bernstein has a whole chapter on it.

I have assumed this, as after a medium sized meal with some carbs, my peak BG is usually 2-3 hours, and it takes 6-8 hours to come back to baseline. I think because food is getting absorbed so slowly, my peak is lower than it would otherwise be, so one advantage I guess.

The issue is that I am trying intermittent fasting and following Jason Fung, who says snacking is more evil than the most evil thing you can imagine. But for me, if I have say 40 grams of carbs with a meal, it may be that only 5 or 6 grams gets digested per hour, so it is a bit like constant snacking? Not sure what I can do about this? Any ideas anyone? Does anyone else have gastroparesis diagnosed or just suspected?

Thanks

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anyone have any ideas about this.................Am I less likely to benefit from intermittent fasting because of my extreme delayed gastric emptying?

Thanks

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are a number of threads about gastroparesis and slow colonic transport around the forum. Might be worthwhile checking them out and maybe tagging people who suffer with these kinds of issues?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you seen Dr Bernstein's Youtube video about gastroparesis?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat smaller amounts, planned into the day when I can, so very much 'little and often'.
By doing this, I find I'm not hungry, my BG is normal, (as indeed are all my over blood measurements), and my BMI has come down from obese to normal.

What sort of readings are you seeing at the moment?

Jasperville

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies, and the video link.

I tend to wake up with about 5.5, which goes up to about 7.5 due to DP. If I stay low carb, then slowly come down to about 4.5 by 6pm, with a small peak after breakfast and lunch. If I keep evening meal under 20 grams of carbs, then don't go above 7.0, if have a box of micro chips (which I often can't resist), then up to 8.5 to 9.0. If have a pigout (perhaps once a fortnight Eg takeaway with the family, 100 grams of carbs, then up to 12-14). My home a1cnow test shows 44 (6.2), which is supposed to be equivalent to an average BG of 7.3, but I think this is still a reflection a little bit of the bad old days. My frestyle Libre says average BG of 6.4.

Too early to say if intermittent fasting is helping.