General anaesthetic

j.100.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I am having an operation later this afternoon. What should I expect about how this will affect my glucose? I’m feeling very nervous and stressed at the moment. Thank you

• Hug
Reactions: JohnEGreen

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I appreciate I have Type 1 but I assume the affect on blood sugars will be similar.
My experience was that the anxiety of the surgery had the biggest effect.
My levels were raised afterwards but I believe that was due to my body recovering rather than the anaesthetic.

I hope your operation goes well this afternoon and your recovery is speedy.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am having an operation later this afternoon. What should I expect about how this will affect my glucose? I’m feeling very nervous and stressed at the moment. Thank you
I'm tagging @Rachox for you, she is a T2 on metformin only so similar to yourself, and had an operation under general anaesthetics last week and posted about her BG around the OP: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/nerdy-graphs.196592/

I'd expect your BG to maybe spike a bit from the stress, which is completely fine.
You're not on glucose lowering medication so no risk of hypos or such either. :)

Good luck, I hope you'rr recover quickly!

Reactions: j.100.s

j.100.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate I have Type 1 but I assume the affect on blood sugars will be similar.
My experience was that the anxiety of the surgery had the biggest effect.
My levels were raised afterwards but I believe that was due to my body recovering rather than the anaesthetic.

I hope your operation goes well this afternoon and your recovery is speedy.
Thank you

Reactions: In Response

j.100.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the tag @Antje77 , yes I’m type 2, actually just swapped Metformin today, but I was taking it last week! If you look at my graphs on the thread Antje linked you’ll see I had a large spike around the operation time but it soon settled down. I guess it depends on a lot of things as we are all different. There’s stress, not eating, then eating hospital food (!), pain control post op and how well you are controlled normally.
Best of luck with your op @j.100.s and subsequent recovery x

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
My surgery was two weeks ago yesterday. Blood sugars are still a little high for my liking. I doubled Metformin SL to two a day and will drop again when more stable. Hoping numbers will drop soon. Still getting restless nights! Wasn't expecting that! Best of luck.

j.100.s

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How did it go?
The operation went well, thank you. Apparently the hernia was ‘industrial’ sized so quite a lot to do. Back home after 2 days and in my own bed which is so much better but missing getting coffee served every couple of hours! Expecting about 6 week recovery. They forgot about doing BG tests as I’m not taking medication. I did my own the following day and it was in 7’s but seems to have come back down again now. Thank you for asking