Gentle exercise for tummy's?

Defren

I am really getting my fitness back, but although the tape measure says I am loosing weight all over, my tummy is very slow to shift. I am an apple shape, so all fat sits on my tummy. Does anyone know any gentle tummy exercises that will help shift the flab? I am not interested in toning, just getting my jeans to fit again :lol: I would even buy a new 'machine' if someone can recommend one that really does work, and isn't all gimmick.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm the same defren I bought a trampette, 29.99 from Argos. I do like it but forget to use the **** thing. Apparently its really good for diabetics (no idea why) og cos i think it moves stuff around the body.
Anyway I need to use it more, but would like to hear what others have done to shift the stubborn stuff (won't swear).

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
I don't know if you have a Wii console, but I use a programme called Exerbeat on it.

It has a section for Latin dancing on it and in particular a sub-section for the Merengue. It is done on the balance board, so you're not leaping round the room. It concentrates on your stomach and it does work.

I did a Youtube hunt and found this trailer for it:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZKMrmIT4zk

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Google Rosemary Conley TV. She has a lot of short exercise videos starting from the very easy. I noticed one called Apple shape workout at 2 different levels. You just have to ignore the advert at the start of each one.

edit: I missed the bit about toning. These are toning exercises; I agree with Stephen's post below.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Defren said:
I am really getting my fitness back, but although the tape measure says I am loosing weight all over, my tummy is very slow to shift. I am an apple shape, so all fat sits on my tummy. Does anyone know any gentle tummy exercises that will help shift the flab? I am not interested in toning, just getting my jeans to fit again :lol: I would even buy a new 'machine' if someone can recommend one that really does work, and isn't all gimmick.

Unforunately you don't get to choose which parts of your fat reserves your body burns to meet your energy deficit. You can preferetially train muscle, but you can't preferentially burn fat. A universal law of dieting is that the area of fat that you most want to disappear, will be the last to go.

Defren

borofergie said:
Defren said:

Unforunately you don't get to choose which parts of your fat reserves your body burns to meet your energy deficit. You can preferetially train muscle, but you can't preferentially burn fat. A universal law of dieting is that the area of fat that you most want to disappear, will be the last to go.

Thanks Stephen, but surely there is some kind of exercise that will help? I have read many articles that say for an apple shape walking is the best exercise. I walk a lot, and yes, slowly it is going. If it keeps going at the rate it is, I shall be a little barrel with stick arms and legs. There has to be a way to help?

I think I will look at a trampette, I have quite a large dining room, so it could actually be put up and kept up. Seriously, my jeans swamp my legs, but the zip it tantalisingly close, but just not quite there. I am sure by next week I will get them on, but then I have another pair a size smaller. :lol: I need to shift the tummy flab.

Thanks Phoenix, will look out for Rosemary and see what she has to offer. An apple shape is said to be the worst shape to loose tummy fat. :evil:

Defren

didie said:
I don't know if you have a Wii console, but I use a programme called Exerbeat on it.

It has a section for Latin dancing on it and in particular a sub-section for the Merengue. It is done on the balance board, so you're not leaping round the room. It concentrates on your stomach and it does work.

I did a Youtube hunt and found this trailer for it:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZKMrmIT4zk

I don't have a wii console, but I shall have a look at the video, then decide if I should buy one. I really don't mind paying out for machines, consoles, anything that will help.

Thank you Didie.

[edit to add] I love Latin music and that seems gentle enough. I think a wii is going to be on the shopping list. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
defren
for the jeans. go back to what we used to do in the 60s. Lay on the bed to pull up he zip. I still have to do that with my closest fitting pair when newly washed.

Defren

hanadr said:
defren
for the jeans. go back to what we used to do in the 60s. Lay on the bed to pull up he zip. I still have to do that with my closest fitting pair when newly washed.

Grab the zip with a coat hanger hook and H-E-A-V-E :lol: I am SO close to them fitting, the problem is, I could walk in them, but sitting down may present a wee bit of a challenge :lol:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
The Wii is great. I use lots of different programmes focusing on different activities. I'd quite literally be lost without it. I'm working my way through a progressive 9-week fitness programme which will finish next Saturday.

Defren

didie said:
The Wii is great. I use lots of different programmes focusing on different activities. I'd quite literally be lost without it. I'm working my way through a progressive 9-week fitness programme which will finish next Saturday.

I have seen loads of things for exercising, one called the 30 day crunch or something similar. It scares the heck out of me :lol: I need gentle but effective. I don't mind exercising daily as long as I come away from it alive. :lol:

I have spoken to my daughter (she is much more knowledgeable about these things than me) she informs me the wii fit has loads and loads of different things to help with all kinds of fitness levels. She warned me not to use the wii scales as they are notoriously inaccurate. She, like you recommends it (I suspect so she can play on it too). :lol: I do think I will buy one next week, and check out some gentle fitness programme's like the Latin one you posted, they seem doable. :lol: