Gestational Diabetes with twins

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thought that I would report a good outcome.
My daughter in law has a 2 year old daughter who, because my daughter in law is quite small (from Thailand) was born via Cesarean section.
With her recent second pregnancy she discovered that she was having twins and that she had Gestational Diabetes.
Her medical team were brilliant. She was given a blood testing kit, some good dietary advice and I helped her with tweaking recipes to make them LCHF in line with my own diet (I am T2).

She ate according to her fasting and before and after eating blood results throughout and even though there were cravings for certain things, she only had moderate "treats" when her blood results gave her the thumbs up.

Because of her small size, the twins were taken by cesarean section four weeks early. They had some jaundice and were immediately tested for diabetes, as was mum.

Both mum and the twins were free from diabetes and they all came home after just 3 days. Jaundice is now gone.

Staff at Brimingham Womens Hospital were wonderful and the only issue now is trying to figure out which girl is which as they are like two peas in a pod.

Reactions: 75Bedford

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations on the birth of the twins! Lovely news! :)

I hope both they and their parents are doing well :)

It's always worrying when they test such tiny babies' blood sugar at birth, but it's a precaution to check they're not going low now they're out of their mum. Even if they were a tiny bit low, it's easily sorted.

Best wishes to all the family. X

Reactions: dunelm

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
That's lovely news - glad they are all ok :)

Reactions: dunelm