Getting Fiber Without Carbs

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Good morning all. Could anyone give me some advice please on how to keep a good quantity of fiber going in without taking on too many carbs?
I find that eating a diet high in fat is easy enough but I'm not always getting much fiber and vitamins since I gave up eating fruit. I do enjoy salad and leafy veg for a while then I get kind of sick of it and have to stop eating it for a while until my appetite for it returns.
Before I was diagnosed I used to eat loads of fruit but I've cut that right down to just a handful of blueberries and strawberries a couple of times a week.
I have sometimes made a green shake with almond milk but again it gets hard to swallow after a while.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some here will say we do not need fibre so it is matter of choice..I am sure that I need it so most of my fibre comes from the vegetables and salads I eat

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tried seeds? You could get ground flax seed and just sprinkle it on your meals. I also make chia pudding and low carb granola which is predominantly seeds and desiccated coconut.

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Have you tried seeds? You could but ground fax seed and just sprinkle it on your meals. I also make chia pudding and low carb granola which is predominantly seeds and desiccated coconut.

Would like to hear more about your LC granola?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
1ED206B5-5477-44F0-9214-62DE361511F5.jpeg
Would like to hear more about your LC granola?

I make it from a mix of other LC granola recipes. This is what I ended up with :)

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Despite what some say, I find I do need fibre in my diet. I get it mostly from above ground veggies and avocados. There are many ways to prepare veggies and so I do not get tired of them at all. For example, cauliflower cheese with a pork steak is great or kale with any meat, chopped white cabbage with spices cooked in a splash of orange juice. I also make my own coleslaw with white cabbage, carrots, walnuts and mayo. Seasoned to taste, goes down well with a salad.
I often sprinkle ground flaxseed on the coleslaw for added fibre.
All the above work well for me!

Reactions: Serena51

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need fibre in my diet, and get it from veg, salad and homemade bread made from wholmeal stoneground flour.

M

Member496333

Technically, fibre is a carbohydrate, but yeah vegetables are probably the least harmful sources and will have very low net carbs.

Nexus6

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I starting using a heaping teaspoon of metamucil once or twice a day and it has done WONDERS for things. Also helps with appetite suppression as well.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Firstly can I apologise for not responding to any on your replies. I started this thread then couldn't find it again. I thought I'd not hit the send button then tonight I've found it.

Reactions: Serena51

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Technically, fibre is a carbohydrate, but yeah vegetables are probably the least harmful sources and will have very low net carbs.
Jim could you help me understand what is meant by net carbs. I think my understanding is, if a quantity of carbs has a quantity of fibre then somehow the fibre cancels out some of the carbs. Then again I might have got that totally wrong.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jim could you help me understand what is meant by net carbs. I think my understanding is, if a quantity of carbs has a quantity of fibre then somehow the fibre cancels out some of the carbs. Then again I might have got that totally wrong.

Jim doesn’t appear to be on line so let me explain. In the USA carb counts on food labels include fibre which is a carb but isn’t absorbed, so a bit of maths is required to work out net (or absorbed) carbs. In the U.K. the maths has already been done so the carb count on food labels is net carbs ie the carbs which are absorbed.

Reactions: zauberflote

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Have you tried seeds? You could get ground flax seed and just sprinkle it on your meals. I also make chia pudding and low carb granola which is predominantly seeds and desiccated coconut.

Edit for typo
Hi Rachox. What's a hotel chocolate button?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reactions: Alineden

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Jim doesn’t appear to be on line so let me explain. In the USA carb counts on food labels include fibre which is a carb but isn’t absorbed, so a bit of maths is required to work out net (or absorbed) carbs. In the U.K. the maths has already been done so the carb count on food labels is net carbs ie the carbs which are absorbed.
Thanks Rachox. That has cleared that up.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Metamucil is just psyllium husk, I’m pretty sure. Probably cheaper to buy in bulk and eat in foods than take the capsules?
I use flax, avocado, spinach, celery, chia seed. Also have a homemade high fiber brown bread, and some LC high fiber tortillas. Hemp seed hearts are loaded with fiber too. Oat fiber in baked goods. I’m not as happily regular as I used to be when I ate way more than my 9-a-day fruit and veg and very very little dairy, but so be it.