1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Getting hypo alerts with libre, blucon and xDrip+

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Scott-C, Oct 1, 2017.

1. gardener612

gardener612 LADA · Member

Scot C.-Your explanations on how to use the Bluecon were perfect. I got mine up and running with no problem by just following what you wrote very carefully. Thanks so much for posting this. Now I have everything that the Dexcom does for one tenth of the price, thanks to you!

2. queenofit

queenofit Type 1 · Member

Anyone seen/used Spike-app?? An alternative to XDrip. Still waiting for my Bluecon to arrive so haven't tested either yet.

3. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of spike-app before. I couldn't find much on the internet about it apart from their website https://spike-app.com/#

Were you able to download it?

Don't know anything at all about iphones (most I've ever paid for a phone is 95 quid!), but the site says it's for ios and is a beta version, open source, copyright date on the webpage is 2018 so seems to be a new entrant at development stage.

Not sure if it's just vapour-ware (mind you, people were saying that about blucon when the launch date kept on being pushed back..and..back..and...back...!).

Am slightly cautious about other searches for "spike" bringing up the remarkably similarly named "spike app" minus the hyphen at https://www.thespikeapp.com , apparently based in Beirut, offering some sort of "diabetes assistant". The wording on their site just doesn't "chime".

It seems strange that there's two remarkably simarly named apps appearing about the same time but doing different things.

The spike-app site mentions rather vaguely, getting the most out of your cgm transmitter".

Which transmitters? Sure, there's a graphic on the home page showing screenshots of settings pages, and the one on the bottom mentions a "data source" option. xDrip+ has that too, which is how you can tell it to take data from a variety of sources such as g5, g4, librealarm, and now "libre bluetooth" for blucon. So, I suppose if you download spike-app, it would be a case of looking through it's data source options to see if there is one which caters for blucon. If not, it's highly unlikely to work with blucon.

Couple of screenshots to show what I'm blethering about, first us the graphic from spike-app, second is the data source options page from xdrip+.

03-1.png

Screenshot_2018-02-14-22-46-32.png

4. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Cheers, it's a surprise anyone has been able to follow them as they mainly involved sitting in the pub for an afternoon randomly pressing buttons on xdrip to see what they did!

I've had an interesting time with it, coming up for about five months now.

Not really had any glitches with it all - xdrip is a really solid app: the lead developer, jamorham, and his co-developers are geniuses in my humble opinion.

The blucon transmitter is doing it's bit as well - I was worried when I first got it that it might break after a while being a new product, but it's been working away quite happily for about 8 or 9 months now, first with Ambrosia's inhouse app, then with xdrip since September. Don't know if it will just pack up after a while but there's not really anything to break, it's just some electronics.

5. queenofit

queenofit Type 1 · Member

i haven’t installed it as you need to be invited through TestFlight and I thought I’d ask on here whether it’s any good before doing that. The group on fb is reporting good things and it does appear to be compatible with the blucon. Will watch and learn...!

#105 queenofit, Feb 15, 2018 at 6:35 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018 at 6:44 AM
  6. JoeT1

JoeT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Only issue I am having is if I have been inside for a while, and suddenly get up to go for a small walk or even a long walk outside, it now seems to tend to miss signals while outside a lot, which with nightime, is pretty much where I would want to use it. I just changed the battery in the Blucon last night, so we'll see if that helps.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook