Getting into Shape

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi All,

I was diagnosed T2 12 months ago and set out a long term plan to lose weight and get fit. Last years goal was to lose the weight, which is what I did, this years goal is to really get super fit.

Its well documented how excercise can help with Diabetes and I would have to say that Even after losing 6 stone, eating very sensibly and doing gentle excercise my Blood Pressure remained above 140.

However, I have been running now for 3 weeks and last night for the 1st time my Blood Pressure was below 120. I check at home every day and I have seen a steady drop over the past couple of weeks and i'm over the moon.

I really didn't fancy taking Blood pressure tablets and hopefully I am making steps in getting myself off the medication totally - I still need 2 Metformins to help with my BG.

My biggest challenge is work. I have a desk job as a manager and this week I have had to put in nearly 70 hours. Things are getting worse and hours are getting longer and i'm really having to stay focused in the DB control to stop myself getting into the state i was in before. I am exhausted when I get home. I do take a walk at Lunch time although this is becoming really political as i'm seen to be a 'slacker' for actually leaving the office and having some sort of break, even though its only for 20 mins, where I return and eat my lunch at my computer.

Anyway, i'm really going to stick at it and am going to make sure I get 2 or 3 fun runs in this year and hopefully aim for a half marathon next year.

I kayak with a local club on Sunday mornings also but the lake and canals have been mostly frozen for weeks so I am missing this.

I will keep posting with my progress (good and bad). I hope to lose around another 11 pounds also, this will see my BMI at 23.

Good luck to others and hopefully we can motivate each other.

carl

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Carl - you should be really proud of yourself :D Work sounds tough though :( - stick to your guns on your daily walk - I bet if your work was to measure afternoon productivity you would be the most efficient worker as those chained to their desks would be sluggish and work weary - it's a well known fact that fresh air and exercise boosts activity so when they try to make you feel like a slacker just smirk and say nothing and take comfort in the knowledge that it is you that is the most efficient - they can't be that efficient if they can't give themselves 20 minutes a day out of a 70 hr week!!!

good luck on the running - I think it's amazing how far you have come - I have lost over 7st but still can't crack the exercise - though I do walk a lot I think my backside would have to be on fire to make me run! :lol: :lol: :lol:

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Hi Lovinglife,

I started the running a few weeks ago. I went onto Itunes and downloaded an NHS podcast called 'couch to 5k'.

Its great, starts you off with walking and builds up to short runs.

Give it a try if you fancy, google it and it will take you to the NHS website where you can download it too. Its a lot easier than setting your bum on fire (LOL). I'm on week 4 of 9.

Take care

carl

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
itunes? downloads? podcasts????? :? :? - your talking to somebody who's skill begins and ends with the sony walkman cassette player!!! :lol: sounds like a great piece of kit though and it may well be something I could consider in the future - would have to get a new mobile first though - my phone of choice is a Nokia 610? - about 9 yrs old - hey its retro!! :lol: :lol:

( I do have a few phones in a draw including a blackberry pearl - my oh is a techy and is always getting something new and passes down to me - still go back to my old Nokia)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Carl, that's a great start.
I know of lots of people who've been really sucessful with the couch to 5k schedule mentioned earlier
I don't know about an NHS version but heres the original written schedule for the c25k. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
and on this website there are links to several downloads some with music (Christian Indie anyone!?) some with just beeps that tell you when to walk and run etc . Then there are some longer podcasts for when you get beyond 5k .
http://www.c25k.com/

NB I don't use a mobile phone at all or 'itunes' but even I've managed to download to a very cheap MP3 player to listen to music when I run.

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Now on week 5, Run 2. That's me and the dog 8 Minutes run, 5 Minutes walk over 40 Minutes. Would really reccomend the podcast. I couldn't run for love nor money only a few weeks ago.

I feel much better but still have 10 pounds to lose to get my final bit of flabby belly gone. I am targetting Easter to be at 12 stone 3 and a BMI of 23. This last 1 stone is proving very hard to shift!

Carl

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Hi all,

After doing really well - I can now run easilly for 1/2 hour without getting out of breath or feeling too tired, I seem to be falling off the wagon a little.

I am finding that the extra excercise is making me really hungry. I have had a couple of sessions when I've got out of bed at 2 or 3 in the morning after not being able to sleep due to tummy rumbles and pigged out a little.

This week, my arch enemy 'Jam' made an appearance on a couple of slices of toast and last night I was craving chocolate. I haven't really eaten any for over a year so I got some of the 90% cocoa type and indulged myself.

My eating regime despite these 2 slippages remains strict with fish and chicken my staple diet with veg / salad and 2 slices of burgen soya and linsead per day. My weight this week though has crept up by a couple of pounds.

This week one of those NHS health Buses was on the business park where I work so I went along at lunch for a health check. The nurses were great and looked after me a treat. My BG was 4.5, BMI 25, Cholestorol was 3.29 but my Blood pressure was through the roof at 165 / 87. After 10 mins it had dropped to 156 / 84 but this, I know is way too high, especially for us Diabetics. I have raised concern with my Doctor but he keeps telling me not to worry as its not that high. I'm getting frustrated by it! I have dropped coffee (its the only vice I have) and have not run for a few days as I'm feeling a little down in the dumps but am keeping up my daily 2 mile walk with the dog. The Nurse said she would call my doctor and send him my health check.

There's no doubt stress is not helping at the minute with long days (and nights) at work. My wife is getting on my case over the long days having to leave home at 6am and getting home at 7.30 pm. By the time I've eaten dinner, prepared my packed meals for the next day It really is time for bed and squeezing a 'run' in is taking up the 1/2 hr or so time that I clearly should be spending with the missus. Its a good job the kids are grown up as I would be neglecting them too.

Despite all this, I really am trying with my health, i'm taking cod liver oil, a garlic tablet, a daily multi vitiman, cider vinegar and 1/2 an asprin all on top of my healthy eating regime and my metformin but am at a loss as how to fix my Blood pressure without the help of my GP and what to do with my running if its making me eat more and gain weight.

Carl

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
theblokefromstoke said:
Hi all,

I am finding that the extra excercise is making me really hungry. I have had a couple of sessions when I've got out of bed at 2 or 3 in the morning after not being able to sleep due to tummy rumbles and pigged out a little.

Carl

Can't help you with the blood pressure sorry.
As for your night-time snacking (I'm type 2 on Metformin too) I found the other night my levels were too low before bed and I woke up about 2am or 3am with a rumbly tummy feeling a bit sickly and had a biscuit. It could be the exercise is dropping you even lower in the night and then your liver starts dumping (or whatever occurs). Just a thought.
Hope you get it sorted and you continue with your regime....you're doing well.
Regards
Angie

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Hi All,

Running going great. Now up to 5 miles, 3 times per week. Have booked a 5k run in a few weeks and starting training serious from Sunday for a half marathon in June. I stumbled on a 16 week training programme so falls in perfectly.

weight loss just isn't happening though at all. I would still like to lose around 12 pounds to get my BMI to 23. I guess I must be eating too much but its a difficult isn't it when you're juggling Blood sugar levels, energy and excercise.

I feel so much better having give bread up completely. I was only eating 2 slices of burgen soya and linsead per day. At 11 carbs it wasn't really affecting my BG but was making me feel tired and bloated. 'm wondering whether I have become wheat intolerant of sorts.

Carl

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Don't forget that you're putting on muscle and muscle weighs more than fat. It also uses more glucose. I wouldn't worry too much about not losing much weight, but do your best to stick to your diet. You could up your protein and fat a bit, if you can, to help with the extra hunger.

I'm really very very impressed with your weight loss and exercise :mrgreen: . Keep on as you are, and keep us informed. Well done!

Viv :)

How's the dog doing, with all this exercise? :lol:

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Hi Viv,

Thanks for the support!

The dog is doing great thanks. She is literally dragging me around our regular run. It gets a bit dodgy though when she runs round a lamp post the other way and we both end up tied up in the middle!

Hows things with you?

carl

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
theblokefromstoke said:
but my Blood pressure was through the roof at 165 / 87. After 10 mins it had dropped to 156 / 84 but this, I know is way too high, especially for us Diabetics. I have raised concern with my Doctor but he keeps telling me not to worry as its not that high.

Great to hear you are doing so well at getting in shape but should you really be doing all that running with such high blood pressure?

I'm really surprised that your doctor is unconcerned about your bp Carl it is higher than mine was when I was prescribed Amlodopine, Diltiazem and Bendroflumethiazide and that was before I was diabetic, on being diagnosed with diabetes a consultant cardiologist I saw swapped the Amlodopine for Ramipril as it helps to protect the kidneys apparently.

theblokefromstoke said:
The Nurse said she would call my doctor and send him my health check.

Has this made any difference Carl, any news on the doctor front?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Re BP - you could ask to borrow one of the 24 hours ones, in case you've got 'white coat syndrome'. I had one a few years ago. It fits under your clothes on a belt round your waist, connected to the usual cuff round your arm, which inflates automatically every hour (I think!), and records your readings. A bit weird, and you have a disturbed night, but it does give you an overall picture. It means going without a shower for 24 hours, though.

My BP is much higher in my right arm than in my left :shock: - I haven't managed to explain that one yet, except for the strangeness of having it done that way. We did it in each arm, one after the other. Now I stick to left arm only!

Viv :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great to hear you are doing so well at getting in shape but should you really be doing all that running with such high blood pressure?
Here's a link about BP and exercise, jogging as opposed to sprinting normally is 'good' for blood pressure
http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressureandyou/Yourlifestyle/Beingactive
http://www.bpassoc.org.uk/BloodPressureandyou/Yourlifestyle/Beingactive/Whatkinds
I agree with Viv about a 24 hour monitor. Mines always raised when I see the doctor but the 24 hour one reassured her that it wasn't truly reflectiv I now measure it at home regularly and check the monitor against hers to make sure of accuracy.
However, she still insists that I have an exercise stress test every 2 years.

JUSTFOCUS

Dislikes
Scrooge . People who are always feeling sorry for themselves . The NHS . The benefit agency .Atttention seekers on forums or chat rooms.
Hi Carl
good to hear your back on form. You mentioned your fellow office workers now seeing you as a slacker :roll: .
You probably know the old saying "people who can do. People who can't preech"
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: <<<<<<< lol.
Don't push too hard :wink:
JF.

adm

Great work Carl! Nicely done.

Isn't it a great feeling to get from being an overweight, unfit slob back into proper fitness? I'm in the same boat as you....diagnosed April last year and made a severe effort to lose weight. I dropped from 100Kg to 75kg - almost 4 stone and have recently reached a plateau for the last month or so. However, I am building muscle and burning fat according to my skinfold tester which measures body fat......so I don't worry about the weight right now. I've still got probably a couple of kilos of fat left to lose to get to sub 10% body fat......but it's getting so close I can taste it!

I've been swimming and cycling for my fitness regime - which isn't so great for my dog as she can't keep up on 60 mile bike rides - and the fitness has really been coming along nicely. I'm aiming for 100 mile rides by this summer.

I have found that for the longer duration rides (anything over 2 hours) I need additional carbs before setting off, or even the night before to avoid fatigue.....so a nice big bowl of pasta the night before is a great treat, followed up by a carb heavy breakfast and then carb laden energy bars during a ride. I was worried how this would affect me at first, but the exercise seems to make the body burn up the carbs highly efficiently and my BG never seems to be over 5 after a ride. I've noticed as I get fitter that my BG is affected much less by carbs than it used to be. Also, my ongoing blood pressure is well into the green these days - 110/70 on waking (from 150/100 last year), and significantly below that after some solid excercise.

So basically, the healthy diet, plus a serious fitness regime seems to be exactly what my body needed and it seems to be a happy circle instead of the spiral into bad health and disease I had last year.

Anyway....rambling on a bit, but I just wanted to give you a bit more encouragement from somebody who is going through the same thing.

If I was you though, I'd get on some BP medication pronto. Nothing wrong with taking a little medical help to get the BP down while you work on your fitness which should hopefully bring it down permanently - then you can get off the meds....

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
adm said:
I've been swimming and cycling for my fitness regime - which isn't so great for my dog as she can't keep up on 60 mile bike rides - and the fitness has really been coming along nicely. I'm aiming for 100 mile rides by this summer.

You are going to end up with a very healthy dog :lol:

becki

Hi,

Know EXACTLY what you mean re work!

I really need to get fit and the thought of a run gets me breathless alone! Does it really work?

My issue is my husband is away for 2 weeks at a time and this makes it more difficult to do ANYTHING alone without my 3and 7 yr old sidekicks in tow, but I am determined that i need to increase my fitness.

Glad its working for you and the dog!