Getting it right!?

JayCee6828

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my blood test a couple of days ago ready for my three monthly visit to the diabetes nurse and was surprised the next day to get a call from a doctor at our surgery saying my control was "too good" and telling me to drop my insulin from 28 to 20 units a day.

This sounds good as I have spent the last few months trying to get good control, checking the carbs in what I eat and the amounts. I have also been using a strange method at night, when I was told not to sleep if I was below 8, I keep a bag of ASDA toffees by the bed and whatever my level below 8 is I have that many toffees before I sleep; if my level is 5.something I have 3 and so on; for 8 and above I have nothing.

My levels for a few weeks now have been between 4.9-9.5 fasting; 5.1-15.8 at 4pm (when I take my insulin), and 5.3-11.2 before sleeping at night.

The point of my rambling is to ask your opinions of what I am doing; am I being completely wrong or not? And the reason for asking is my surprise that the doctor's comments given that I have tried so hard over the last 3 months; I see the nurse in 2 weeks time so I shall have to see what she thinks.

I am currently taking 500mg of Metformin twice a day, 1 80mg Gliclazide twice a day and 20 units of Hum,ulin 1 at 4pm each day.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi @JayCee6828

Sorry to burst your bubble but those numbers do not look good to me and you should be aiming for tighter control at both the bottom and top end of the range.

The following data is available on this website and is broadly what you should be aiming for ..................

upload_2015-7-8_13-4-8.png

Others may disagree but I think your GP is talking rubbish and BG's of 9.5 fasting and 15.8 after meals are harming you.

Reactions: 3 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I am with Urban Racer on this, I usually go to bed in the 5s and having a Libre sensor on the last few days it is bumbling along nicely all night. Sadly my Dad was told to aim for 10 before bed and he is now suffering every side effect known to man. Good 'ole NHS.

Ali

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS plays it too safe and expects organ damage later in life. There is no need to stay above 8 when you go to bed unless you take a Bolus shortly before and hence don't know where you are. If your Basal is right then you will stay around the level you go to bed with unless you are unlucky and have bs that is difficult to control. Your meter readings indicate that your blood sugar control could be better. Are you carb-counting? Have you got your Bolus ratio right etc?

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my blood test a couple of days ago ready for my three monthly visit to the diabetes nurse and was surprised the next day to get a call from a doctor at our surgery saying my control was "too good" and telling me to drop my insulin from 28 to 20 units a day.

This sounds good as I have spent the last few months trying to get good control, checking the carbs in what I eat and the amounts. I have also been using a strange method at night, when I was told not to sleep if I was below 8, I keep a bag of ASDA toffees by the bed and whatever my level below 8 is I have that many toffees before I sleep; if my level is 5.something I have 3 and so on; for 8 and above I have nothing.

My levels for a few weeks now have been between 4.9-9.5 fasting; 5.1-15.8 at 4pm (when I take my insulin), and 5.3-11.2 before sleeping at night.

The point of my rambling is to ask your opinions of what I am doing; am I being completely wrong or not? And the reason for asking is my surprise that the doctor's comments given that I have tried so hard over the last 3 months; I see the nurse in 2 weeks time so I shall have to see what she thinks.

I am currently taking 500mg of Metformin twice a day, 1 80mg Gliclazide twice a day and 20 units of Hum,ulin 1 at 4pm each day.

I too have been told to have 10 b.s. at night before bed. My reading was 7.4 but I had cheese and high fibre brown seeded roll for supper. My reading this morning was 5.5 My prob is at 7s and below I feel very unwell, during day too, shaking and sweating. So what is safe reading to go to bed on and not hypo during the night? I also take 20mg of steroids daily. Type2 on novomix30 injected at lunch time which spikes my sugars showing 8 or 9 before tea.

chessplayer1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JayCee6828

Sorry to burst your bubble but those numbers do not look good to me and you should be aiming for tighter control at both the bottom and top end of the range.

The following data is available on this website and is broadly what you should be aiming for ..................

View attachment 13944

Others may disagree but I think your GP is talking rubbish and BG's of 9.5 fasting and 15.8 after meals are harming you.
Thank you for the information :)

Reactions: 2 people

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I too have been told to have 10 b.s. at night before bed. My reading was 7.4 but I had cheese and high fibre brown seeded roll for supper. My reading this morning was 5.5 My prob is at 7s and below I feel very unwell, during day too, shaking and sweating. So what is safe reading to go to bed on and not hypo during the night? I also take 20mg of steroids daily. Type2 on novomix30 injected at lunch time which spikes my sugars showing 8 or 9 before tea.

Hi @fred1234

As we bring our blood sugars down from high levels we can experience what is referred to as a false hypo. Your body has to get used to the lower levels. It should be something to aim for, but don't rush it if you feel unwell.