Getting neg&1.1 readings on urine tests

gremlin33

My wife is a type 2 and is on metaformin and gliczamide that is how i came to join the site about a year ago.
I have blood tests twice a year as i have heart and cholesterol problems, this time the doctor told me i needed a glucose tolerance test, the results confirmed i was diabetic.
I went to the diabetic clinic and was given strips to test my urine and record results on a chart.

My problem is that the highest reading over the last eight days has been 2.8 twice all the rest are neg or 1.1.
I have never liked sweet things so do not eat cake sweets biscuits or ready meals i always drink no sugar added squashes etc.
I do not have any symptoms of diabetes like thirst, going to toilet at night, tiredness, blurred vision or any of the other symptoms.

I would be grateful for any thoughts on this. :roll:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you eat,bread,potatoes,pasta and rice,or products like pies with pastry? all of these will convert into glucose and affect your blood sugars.Once your BS gets high enough the glucose will pass out in the urine.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you are only testing urine, You will only get a positive reading after your BG has reached what is called your renal threshold. that's the point at which the sugar concentration is too high for the kidneys to recover all of it and some spills over into the bladder. A Renal threshold is individual to each perso, but an average figure would be about 10mmol/l. For safety, no-one should let their BG rise above 7, so if your urine is showing any glucose, you are already above a safe BG level unless oyou have an unusually low renal threshold. It wouldn't be very easy to work out your renal threshold. So try to keep your urine tests at a 0 score.
However, if you record all your tests from 1 HbA1c test to the next, you can get qa rough idea.

gremlin33

hanadr said:
If you are only testing urine, You will only get a positive reading after your BG has reached what is called your renal threshold. that's the point at which the sugar concentration is too high for the kidneys to recover all of it and some spills over into the bladder. A Renal threshold is individual to each perso, but an average figure would be about 10mmol/l. For safety, no-one should let their BG rise above 7, so if your urine is showing any glucose, you are already above a safe BG level unless oyou have an unusually low renal threshold. It wouldn't be very easy to work out your renal threshold. So try to keep your urine tests at a 0 score.
However, if you record all your tests from 1 HbA1c test to the next, you can get qa rough idea.

AHHH that explains it in easy to understand terms thanks very much :D

Trinkwasser

Hana is right, urine test strips are best kept for testing to see if your diet coke really *is* diet, by the time glucose appears in your urine your BG has gone over a high number an hour or two ago.

The gold standard is to get your own blood glucose monitor and do this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

I was never that fond of sweet things either, it was the breakfast cereal and especially bread that was doing it for me. Carbs are the enemy, especially starches and fruit juice.

Heart and cholesterol problems, and high blood pressure, are actually symptoms of Type 2, one cardiologist describes it as a cardiovascular disease sometimes associated with high blood glucose. Reducing the carb input and keeping the BG in normal range will help alleviate all the other symptoms.

Trying to do this with urine testing alone is like trying to drive under the speed limit by getting speeding tickets.