Getting Pump on 15th March

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi folks,

Type 1 for nearly 18yrs and have been having problems with hypo's for the past year, with the amount of them and loss of the awareness of them!

Consultants reduced my lantus, split it, dropped all my apidra doses too but nothing is working!
Last Hba1c was 7.5%, taken in France as decided to get 2nd opinion on what my Consultant in Ireland was doing!

On the 28th I go to meet a Nurse who will go through the options and then its up to me to pick the Pump, then on the 15th March, I go into the hospital for a week to get used to it :D

Any advice on the types of pumps would be appreciated

Thanks

Richard

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Not a pumper Richard, just wanted to congratulate you on getting a pump. I am sure it will be of great benefit to you........ :)

ATB

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Cugila

Am delighted to be honest :D
My Irish consultant would'nt consider it for me or even switching from lantus to levemir, so delighted my french guy, told me he'll do it, but gave me a couple of weeks to be sure about it!

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
Congrats
bday13.gif
I really hope it helps you.

iHs

Well done from me as well :)

I hope the pump will enable you to get better control when you are working. I'm amazed at the way some UK consultants carry on. It's not right that you have had to go to France to get second opinion, the Uk consultant should have changed you to Levemir but then again by staying on Lantus and getting poor control there would have been some ammunition to throw at a PCT in order to get them to fund but still never mind, at least you've now got a date to start being a pumper.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Richard!!

Congratulations on getting approved for a pump! What pumps are you considering/get to choose from?

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Congratulations Richard on getting a pump! I will be getting one myself on the 23rd of March! Never thought I'd say this but I am so excited about it. My levels have been unstable since I got diagnosed 8 years ago. Hopefully things will get better for us from now on!

I will be getting a Medtronic one, I'm not sure exactly what it's called. The Minimed I think. But I can't choose because that's the only one my hospital is using at the moment.

Which one are you thinking of?

Please let me know how you're getting on with it, I'd love to know how you are experiencing it all.

Best of luck with it and congrats again :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck with the pump Richard and hope your control improves! :)

Nigel

ZACNEMMA

My son starts pumping tomorrow with the medtronic veo, I know a little about the omnipod and a bit more about the medtronic. I will let you know how we get on with the veo. I am so excited about Zac pumping x

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the congrats and good wishes :D

I go to see the nurse on the 28th feb and she'll show me all the pumps and its up to me to choose the one I"m happy with!
So far I know there's at least 10 to choose from!

Animas 2020
Cozmo Deltec
Dana R
Medtronic Paradigm 554/754 VEO
Medtronic Paradigm 515 and Paradigm 522 Real Time
Medtronic Paradigm 715 and Paradigm 722 Real Time
Accu-Chek Combo
Accu-Chek SPIRIT
Accu-Chek D-tron Plus

Am looking at them all at the moment on websites etc so still not 100% sure but by getting a chance to look at them up close will surely help!

Am really excited about it I have to admit , like a child in a sweet shop! lol

spideog

I'm getting plugged into an Animas on Wednesday.

Have they really got that full range for you to pick from?

cjw

Hi,

I've been on a Medtronic Veo Minimed 754 since October. I have the sensor as well as I have lost hypo awareness. I assume that you will also be having the sensor for that reason - not sure all those pumps have a sensor so may be worth asking about that. It is an amazing device - can set the basal and bolus to different values anytime of the day I currently have 5 boluses and 2 basals at different times! However the sensor isn't 100% - it sounded like a dream solution for me but the sensor measures interstitial (sp?) fluid rather than blood sugar so has a time delay. It warns you if the blood sugar is dropping/rising so that is very helpful but if it says your BS is 8 it means it was 8 at some time. The alarms can make you not have much sleep but that is why I have it so that if my BS drops it warns me.

Good luck.

irishrichard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
In France, your given the list I've got and can choose which ever I want, you meet the Nurse who shows you them all and tells you the advantages and disadvantages of each, then its for you to decide!

The sensor warning of going hypo interests me but until I see them all in the flesh, won't make the decision!

The Consultant has warned me already that he's going to set up the safe zone blood sugar levels higher than normal for me but until I see them all next monday, I won't decide!