Type 1 Getting rid of a cold

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi
I have had cold now nearly for nearly 4 weeks, cannot shake it off!! Would ringing docs & seeing if they could give me any antibiotics to knock it on the head be an idea? Sick of feeling unwell & tired

A

asparagusp

Colds and Flu are caused by viruses, so no antibiotics won't help plus antibiotics raise blood sugar. Get plenty of sleep. Maybe you are not eating enough (fruit)/vegetables so your intake of Vitamin C is low.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Garlic - good for vampires and anti-viral too!

Reactions: asparagusp

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jessd As said, colds are caused by viruses so antibiotics won't help.

All you can do it rest, get some early nights, keep well hydrated and eat healthily.

Obviously, if you feel the cold is developing into something else eg a chest infection, see a doctor, but otherwise it's just a question of some TLC while your body shakes it off.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
!! I forgot about the ginger - its absolutely unparalleled for knocking a sore throat out of the field. The best one I have found is Dalgety's Honey and Ginger Tea - seriously gingery, the colder it gets but very good. I normally find it in either Tesco's or Sainsbury's.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks guys
Do use ginger sometimes when cooking, will pick one up tomorrow

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi
I have had cold now nearly for nearly 4 weeks, cannot shake it off!! Would ringing docs & seeing if they could give me any antibiotics to knock it on the head be an idea? Sick of feeling unwell & tired

No antibiotics won't help unless your cold has led to a chest infection.

Try and get out in the fresh air and go for a few long walks which always seems to help when I have a cold.

A

asparagusp

"No antibiotics won't help unless your cold has led to a chest infection"

And even then. Interesting how often doctors will prescribe antibiotics wrongly. There is a blood test to determine whether it's a virus or bacterium.

Bangkokian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Most politicians and other liars
I had a cold for some weeks earlier this year and found long walks in fresh air helped. Is it usual for diabetes to prolong a cold? I was diagnosed in May this year.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
I think 4 weeks is on the longer side of normal for a cold.
Your previous medical history should guide you in your decision, but...
I would agree with you in contacting GP now for an evaluation, just in case you have a superinfection maybe of a sinus.

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
No antibiotics won't help unless your cold has led to a chest infection.

Try and get out in the fresh air and go for a few long walks which always seems to help when I have a cold.
I have had a bad cold for 2 weeks now. As I am also asthmatic I'm finding walking hard. I have been out on my bike for short bursts today and yesterday but it is still hard work. Not happy.:(

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yea go out walking fair bit anyway as have 2 German Short Haired Pointers, I'll see how it goes just sick of coughing & feeling nasally!!

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Get some Echinacea, it helps the immune system.

Reactions: Trachet
M

mist

Hi

No quick fire way as far as I know. Just got to ride it out, get plenty of rest and drink lots of fluids. Your body will clear it eventually. Some of them have real staying power though.

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's been over 4 weeks now can I ask why avoid cold water?
I have a pretty healthy diet, eggs,fish, plenty of veg

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's been over 4 weeks now can I ask why avoid cold water?
I have a pretty healthy diet, eggs,fish, plenty of veg

If you think an infection has started somewhere, do see a doctor.

I had a cold last Winter that was very prolonged. I felt better after a week or so, but it still lingered on. I did wonder whether I'd actually caught a second cold. I found zinc and Vit C helped, along with tea (someone told me the virus hates hot drinks - no idea if it's true, but I found tea soothing), garlic capsules - and steam inhalations. soubds old-fashioned but they clear your head and helped me a lot. I did them morning and evening, just plain steam.